The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Passenger Capacities of different C-dorys??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wood Zeppelin

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Creature
Photos: Childhood Dream
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Passenger Capacities of different C-dorys?? Reply with quote

I am having a hard time finding this info. Also, the C-dory website has taken down all the info on 16's and 19's... Sad

I know a 16' is rated fr 4 people

what about 19's _______?

What about 22's _______?

Current boats:

1997 22' Angler - "C-Creature"
1988 16' Angler - "E-fishn-C" (Project boat)
1997 16' Cruiser - "Wet-a-Net"

Also:
14.5' Drift Boat - "Wood Zeppelin"
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My '08 says 8 people or 1200#. Nowadays that works out to about 6 people.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a C-Dory, (to me) it is more than just the weight/passenger capacity - it becomes an issue of: where do you put people? In our 25, with 4 souls on board, if everyone was in the cabin, you'd have one person at the helm and 3 at the dinette... and you'd feel the list. You could balance it out with two in the cabin and two in the cockpit on camp chairs - it would be better balanced, but you couldn't all 4 visit. Cut the beam by a foot and 4 people on a 22 or a 19 feels a LOT more crowded than twice that many people on a similar size bow-rider or a pontoon.

I've always felt that any of the C-Dory models are great for a couple, and it starts feeling like a crowd with more than that. Most we ever had on our 25 was 6 while under way (7 at the dock once). I didn't care for it. If you go with the Coast Guard capacity of Length times Beam divided by 15, our 25 would have a passenger capacity of 13 passengers!! Shocked (25 X 8 )/15 - NO WAY would I feel safe with 13 people on that boat.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boats larger than 22’ do not require CG capacity plates. So the 25/26/255 may not have any capacity plates.

I agree with Jim’s assessment. We have had 6 family members aboard our 25’s and the TC 255. I know of one 22 which cruised with 5 family members aboard.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We also concur with Jim. If we’re in ‘Heavy Cruise Mode’ and then add 900 Lbs of gas (that’s what 150g of gas weighs), our TC255 will cruise, but more like a drunk pig. Don’t believe anyone who says an extra 900 lbs of weight on a 26 ft boat doesn’t significantly affect handling. As Captain responsible for the safety of the voyage as well as everyone aboard, I would feel a bit overwhelmed with 6 novices on the boat with us and then 2 or 3 things go way wrong at one time (as in aircraft mishaps, in boating mishaps it’s almost always multiple simultaneous emergencies and alarms, not just one). I know several Brat TC255 owners have 6-pack credentials and ferry SCUBA divers, but I’m not in their league. That said, the TC255 is an almost ideal trailerable pocket yacht for a cruising couple! Next week we’ll head up to cruise the western Erie canal and Finger Lakes for 6 weeks one-way (Amtrak back), and we’ll be happy to not have 13 persons on board plus the 900 lbs of gas!

Bob, I believe the USCG ‘capacity plate’ is required only for boats UNDER 20 ft, not those ‘over’ 22 feet.
As always, you might quote a sub-footnote to the Appendix #4 References re exceptions, and as always, I would have to agree with you.

https://www.boatus.org/study-guide/boat/capacities/

Happy Cruising to All!

John

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
I appreciate your correcting the length. I was mistaken, it is 20 feet, not 22' as I noted. I apologize for that error. However, you need to go back and read what I wrote, rather than paraphrasing what YOU think I wrote.
Quote:
Bob, I believe the USCG ‘capacity plate’ is required only for boats UNDER 20 ft, not those ‘over’ 22 feet.

What I wrote is:
Quote:
Boats larger than 22’ do not require CG capacity plates. So the 25/26/255 may not have any capacity plates.

The actual wording in Federal Code of Regulations is: outlined in CFR, Title 33 sub chapter 183: 21,
Quote:
This subpart applies to monohull boats less than 20 feet in length, except sailboats, canoes, kayaks, and inflatable boats.

It is up to the states to enforce this, if they wish to.
Wood Zeppelin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Pasenger capacity of 19' and 22" Angler Reply with quote

Thanks for all the informative replies!

I don't intend to take lot's of people on a cruise, but just curious for short runs like boat camping at a lake, or fishing..

And, I'm realizing now my question is more specific. I'm wondering about specifically about the official passenger rating for the 19' and 22" Angler

Anyone know?

Thanks!
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Pasenger capacity of 19' and 22" Angler Reply with quote

Wood Zeppelin wrote:
Thanks for all the informative replies!

I don't intend to take lot's of people on a cruise, but just curious for short runs like boat camping at a lake, or fishing..

And, I'm realizing now my question is more specific. I'm wondering about specifically about the official passenger rating for the 19' and 22" Angler

Anyone know?

Thanks!

Specifically: (Length X Beam)/15 will give you that "official" number. I trust reading this thread will convince you that isn't a particularly safe (and absolutely not comfortable) number of people + gear. Take fewer people and gear, make more trips.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am no mathematician Embarassed but if I figured that formula right Confused I could take (According to that Rolling Eyes ELEVEN POINT SEVEN people on my 22 Cruiser.
OK, now for some facts and figures:
#1>There is one hallway, 6 feet long. Half of that is the one butt kitchen, the other half is a shared bedroom entry, an access to the passenger lounge area and the helm step -- often used for a steering position. That is 4 people at 18" each.
#2>There is room for 4 camp chairs in the cockpit at one time. The cabin door will either be open or closed when those chairs are set up, no opening or closing during. That 4 people.
#3> There is room for 2 to sit on the port side passenger seat, about 18" for each.
#4>There is room for one at the helm.

So with that spacing and my math there is 4+4+2+1=11 Cool What is the problem? OH, we forgot to assign weights. Well at 165 pounds average you will be within a Big Mac of one ton. Oh well, as long as you still have freeboard left, Shocked right Crying or Very sad So, on my boat. I have had 6 adults on board one time. Brand new to me and that was the last time. If I'm at the dock 4 would be OK for a visit but believe me, 3 is more comfortable and to is real comfy.

Authors NOTE: Some of this was said with a few dozen pounds of tongue in cheek. Be safe, use what needs to be referred to as UNcommon sense these days and give yourself a margin, it may payoff one day.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
#2>There is room for 4 camp chairs in the cockpit at one time.

No way. lol. I couldn't get 4 chairs on C-Traveler or Midnight Flyer. Maybe my campchairs are bigger? Or I have too much crap in the cockpit! Shocked

Sometimes the formulas do make you wonder! Confused

With that being said, I did have 8 people on Midnight Flyer one time. That was including me, and 7 others. This was during our last Meet in the Middle Gathering on the Mississippi River where Blue Rose (another 22) and I took one of our C-Brats and her family out to scatter her late husband's ashes. We didn't go far however and were in pretty calm conditions, other than a good current. With the 7 additional, I had 2 at the table, (aft port cabin seat), 1 in the port forward seat, 3 in the back , (2 on camp chairs and one standing), and then one standing in the center aisle of the cabin. Freeboard was still good, even with my concern when everyone went to the cockpit. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Quote:
#2>There is room for 4 camp chairs in the cockpit at one time.

No way. lol. I couldn't get 4 chairs on C-Traveler or Midnight Flyer. Maybe my campchairs are bigger? Or I have too much crap in the cockpit! Shocked

Sometimes the formulas do make you wonder! Confused

With that being said, I did have 8 people on Midnight Flyer one time. That was including me, and 7 others. This was during our last Meet in the Middle Gathering on the Mississippi River where Blue Rose (another 22) and I took one of our C-Brats and her family out to scatter her late husband's ashes. We didn't go far however and were in pretty calm conditions, other than a good current. With the 7 additional, I had 2 at the table, (aft port cabin seat), 1 in the port forward seat, 3 in the back , (2 on camp chairs and one standing), and then one standing in the center aisle of the cabin. Freeboard was still good, even with my concern when everyone went to the cockpit. Colby

Colby, You are a good man. That's a full load. And yes, I have no impingements in the cockpit and pretty small chairs, and I rarely carry more than one.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Doug n

City/Region: Fort St John
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Sharon L II
Photos: Sharon L II
PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the capacity tag on my 2009 19 angler. Most I've had on it is 4. Usually just 2 or 3. You can sit and visit between everyone as I don't have a hard bulkhead at the back of the cabin. I use the boat strictly for day use only at this time. Performance suffers with 2 people in the back of the cockpit though. Is this what you are looking for? Doug
Wood Zeppelin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:50 am    Post subject: Formula no workie Reply with quote

Either there's something wrong with that formula.., or I am missing something...

For the 16's:

16 (L) x 6.5 (Beam) = 104

104/15 = 6.9333

But the boat is officially rated for 4 people...
Wood Zeppelin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug n wrote:
Here is a picture of the capacity tag on my 2009 19 angler. Most I've had on it is 4. Usually just 2 or 3. You can sit and visit between everyone as I don't have a hard bulkhead at the back of the cabin. I use the boat strictly for day use only at this time. Performance suffers with 2 people in the back of the cockpit though. Is this what you are looking for? Doug

YES.. thank you!
Wood Zeppelin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2021 1:55 am    Post subject: V berth heights Reply with quote

OK, next question...

Height from cushion to ceiling in V-Berths..

16' - about two feet.

19' ____?

22' _____? (assuming Angler and Cruisers are the same?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: