Shopping for anchor windless for 22

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anura 16

City/Region: Bethesda
State or Province: AR
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: SANDPIPER
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Shopping for anchor windless for 22 Reply with quote

I like the Lexmark Pro Sport 550 windless, but it has some negative reviews. Any suggestions? Also advice on the installation?
Thanks
Dennis
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lewmar 700 horizontal is the most common windlass on the C Dory 22.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssilver

City/Region: Albany NY
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Pearly Shell
Photos: Pearly Shell
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Our 22’ Cruiser came with the 550 Pro. It had a sticker on the controls that said 2012 and the boat was not used last year so it had around 8 years use in saltwater as far as I know. It is my 1st windlass we used it this spring fishing quite a bit probably close to 20x or so and one time it was just grinding away. I had it on my to-do-list to look into any preventive maintenance and actually the proper way to use a windlass. I never got around to either one. Back to the grinding. I tried to pop the cover off while it was on the boat and could not get to the bottom screws so I ended up taking it off. When I took the cover off it was a sludgy greasy rusty mess. The main gear had a flat spot where the teeth were worn off. I could not find the replacement parts in-stock at any retailers local or online. I was lucky to find the gear replacement kit on eBay being sold as new-old-stock w/ a buy it now for $140 or make offer. I offered a $100 and we settled on $115 and I asked the seller if he had the seal kit. It was my lucky day another $35 and I got both. It was a pretty simple rebuild and it seems to be working well again. I will but this on my annual maintenance routine going forward. You can hear how hard that little unit is working and in the back of my mind I knew I should have looked into the PM before it turned into CM. Anyhow if I was to get a new one I think I would opt for the 700 it is all stainless where the 550 Pro is aluminum w/ plastic covers. But I am going to keep on using what I have for now. It had plenty of power and does the job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proper way to use a windlass: Power the boat up until it is over the anchor. The windlass takes up the slack line. Use the boat to power out the anchor--not the windlass---better if you tie off the line, and not put the strain not the windlass, if the anchor does not come out readily. Use the windlass to pull the line, chain and anchor up to the bow roller.

Don't take the load of the boat riding to the windlass. Use "snubber lines" to the rode (rolling hitch) or to the chain--chain plate/hook.

Doing this a windlass should last a long time. The windlass on "Thataway" is 14 years old, and works perfectly.
Anura 16

City/Region: Bethesda
State or Province: AR
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: SANDPIPER
PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:53 am    Post subject: Shopping for anchor windless Reply with quote

Thanks for prompt response. I’m thinking to place windless on order so that the boat shop that is installing hydraulic steering can instal the windless wiring at the same time as the hoses, conservation of my energy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: