View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bryant

City/Region: Fleming Island
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sakura Kaiju
Photos: Conch Queen 2
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Edit and deleting policies. Reply with quote

It’s absurd that a boat ad can’t be edited after 30 minutes. What possible reason is there to disallow the original poster from deleting an ad? I had to repost my entire ad when I realized I had omitted an important bit of information. This policy needs to be changed.
Yakmandu

City/Region: Lake Lanier
State or Province: GA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Miss April
Photos: Pops GO!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it is important to preserve the original post, especially ads, to avoid any later edits to change what might have been stated in the original ad. Follow up posts are fine to clarify or revise.
Bryant

City/Region: Fleming Island
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Sakura Kaiju
Photos: Conch Queen 2
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:45 pm    Post subject: Ad and delete policy Reply with quote

I disagree having multiple ads for the same boat is confusing. If there was an unnoticed mistake in the original ad or if information was inadvertently omitted, if something has been upgraded on the boat or if the price changes, he original poster should be able to correct the original ad at any time so that tjere is only 1 ad per boat. This is a bad policy and should be changed.
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:48 pm    Post subject: I agree but not sure why!! Reply with quote

I always have to edit, I just focus on the first 30 minutes. For me it is bad typing, bad thinking, poor composition, inability to proof read, and old age in general, especially difficulty reading small type. I cannot open and read the site on my cell phone but a laptop is never far away. Thanks Moderators and all those who have held our "heads above water" all these years. Bob
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The editing time limit is there because a couple people a few years back stayed up all night changing all the posts they had made over the years to some nonsensical thing and it took Will (Da Nag) a long time to find and replace their stuff with a note saying it had been deleted by the author. That left a whole bunch of incomplete threads with a lot of missing information that had helped make sense of the rest of the posts. We don't get paid enough for that kind of stuff so we took the easy way.

So that answers that part of the question, but in truth the editing time limit has always been in place for the Boats For Sale section. We felt early on that once an ad has been posted the original ad should remain with any changes noted in follow up replies to the thread. No shenanigans that way. If someone wants a price reduced in the ad title they PM me and I change it. I have never once declined, nor have I ever declined editing to correct mistakes in an ad when asked.

I just spent almost an hour finding and deleting twenty or more posts by the same person saying the same thing in the same forum. I also need to go reply to a thread about it which will take a few more minutes because I always try to be nice and it is too nice a day to be inside on the computer when it would be easier to ignore it or use my crotchety old man voice that has the limited vocabulary.

Again, it is a free service and it always has been. We don't even have the post in the For Sale section suggesting a donation after a successful sale anymore. The best way to ensure that everything is the way it should be before posting an ad is to type it up in a word processor or other text editing program and then copy/paste it in the C-Brats textbox and use Preview to make sure it looks right. Someone could take as long as they want that way and never be stymied by absurd rules. And if there is still something that needs to be fixed just PM me and I will fix it.

As it turns out, the ad in question here appears to have been posted by a dealer who does not even support us with a banner ad so it might just get deleted completely. It is not fair to those who do support us to let all dealers post ads. It is okay to mention that a privately owned boat has been listed through a dealer but the *** COME SEE US FOR YOUR BEST DEAL!!" stuff added after the original ad gets posted makes the editing time limit a whole lot less absurd.

bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:20 pm    Post subject: Not that we deserve all the comment & background but tha Reply with quote

Tyboo,
Gracious response. Bob
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Not that we deserve all the comment & background but Reply with quote

bobjarrard wrote:
Tyboo,
Gracious response. Bob

Bob, Well Put. I kinda like the way these guys run this place.

Mike and Will, Keep it up.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryant, your beef of wine is misplaced. It's a simple matter to post a reply to your initial post to note changes. I'm sure Tyboo or DaNag would be more than willing to correct or remove a post for you, if the request is reasonable. Colby
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,

What is a ‘beef of wine’? I know I’m not hip and chick and deboner like you, but still…is this it (from Google Search)?

https://cafedelites.com/beef-bourguignon/

All,
Google Docs is free and accepts standard Microsoft shortcuts like Control/c to copy and Control/v to paste and Control/a to ‘select all’. You can also include pics from your album with [img] preceding the ‘image address’ from your album (make it full size first) and [/img] after that address.

I’ve come around to deeply respecting the free blog and the work the moderators put into it, although for the first 5 years I thought it was rather clunky compared to Tug-Nuts and the $$$ Fluid Motion has. It does work. Thanks, Admin for your work.

Colby, I am now enjoying a nice Chardonnay box wine with a bit of an Angus Prime Sirloin aftertaste. PM me if you want to try it and have a Publix nearby. You can't find it anywhere else!

Cheers All!
John

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The C brat forum is one of the best on the internet. That is because of TyBoo land DaNag, who maintain the site at no cost to any of us. (we should all support the site—and I suggest that if one sells a boat on this site, that at least 1% of the selling price be donated.

The boat advertised is located at Harbor View—which is not far from my home in Pensacola. When I return there (in a very short time, I will look at the boat.). I suspect that is being sold by the dealer—since HarborView is a marina with consignment boat sales. A dealer charges 10% for selling a boat.

Thanks again to Da Nag and TyBoo!!!s

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi John,
Quote:
What is a ‘beef of wine’? I know I’m not hip and chick and deboner like you, but still…is this it (from Google Search)?

Not exactly, but that sounds pretty good! Smile

Quote:
Colby, I am now enjoying a nice Chardonnay box wine with a bit of an Angus Prime Sirloin aftertaste. PM me if you want to try it and have a Publix nearby. You can't find it anywhere else!

Sounds good. Laughing But a box is way to big for me. Instead, we take our cheese and crackers and go to local wineries to do the free wine tasting, as we did today. Ok, disclaimer, we were with friends and saved the crackers and cheese for the wine we purchased after the tasting. Beer
I think this is a great website. I've learned quite a bit from others here, and feel Will and Mike do a great job running it. In the end however, I believe we get a lot more than what we pay for, so sometimes I let my feathers get slightly ruffled when I see folks complaining about the mechanics of it. Wink I too get bit by the 30 minute cutoff (as I reconsidered my comment and thought about maybe changing it to something not so blunt... 45 minutes later. lol) Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: