View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: REPORTING BOARDER CROSSINGS. Reply with quote

I ran into this web site today and though some of you would be interested in it.

FACT SHEET

Reporting Requirements for all Private Boat Operators
in Puget Sound, WA

EFFECTIVE JANUARY 1, 2006

U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has implemented enhanced security procedures for small boat arrivals and inspection of associated crew and passengers. These procedures require physical reporting to a designated local CBP Office unless enrolled in an Alternative Inspection Systems Program that would allow arrival reporting by phone. The Small Boat Reporting System (SBRS) is no longer valid and previously enrolled participants are NOT EXEMPT from reporting under these procedures. Previously issued SBRS PIN numbers are no longer valid. Boaters are strongly encouraged to apply for participation under the Alternative Inspection Systems Programs.

Affected individuals are encouraged to participate in any of the Alternative Inspection Systems Programs described in this document to expedite reporting of arrival and clearance into the United States. Participation in any of the Alternative Inspection Systems Programs does not preclude the requirement for a physical report upon request by CBP.

Who Reports:

All U.S. Citizens and aliens seeking entry to the United States MUST REPORT their arrival.

When Reporting Is Required:

Masters must report their arrival to CBP if having been engaged in any of the below activities:

. After having been at any foreign port or place;

. After having had contact with any hovering

vessel;

Reporting Procedures:

The master or designee may go ashore only to report the arrival to CBP either in person or if participating in the I-68 or NEXUS/SENTRI programs, by phone. No other person may leave or board the boat and no baggage or merchandise may be removed or

loaded until the report of arrival is made and release granted by a CBP Officer. Each crewmember and passenger must also be in possession of an I-68 or NEXUS or SENTRI card to qualify for phone-in reporting.

Where to Report:

Masters, crew and passengers participating in the

I-68 and/or NEXUS/SENTRI programs may utilize the following number for phone-in arrivals:

1-800-562-5943

Arrivals requiring an in-person report to a CBP Officer may be made at any of the following designated ports of entry. The boat must be made available for inspection at a CBP designated area for possible boarding at the time of report. Regular hours of service are 8 A.M–5 P.M. from September 17th to May 13th. Extended summer hours for each of the below ports are 8 A.M–8 P.M.

Friday Harbor (360) 378-2080
Roche Harbor (360) 378-2080

Port Angeles (360) 457-4311
Point Roberts (360) 945-2314

Anacortes (360) 293-2331

All other ports will require appointments to be made in advance for face-to-face inspections.

If arrival occurs after the normal business hours of a port, boaters must utilize the 1-800 number to report their arrivals. A CBP Officer will provide further instructions regarding reporting and entry processing.

Failure to Report:

Failure to report can result in civil penalties as defined in Title 19, United States Code, Section 1436 to include a penalty of $5,000 for the first violation and $10,000 for each subsequent violation with the conveyance subject to seizure and forfeiture. In addition to being liable for a civil penalty, any master who intentionally commits a violation under subsection (a) of the above stated section upon conviction is liable for a fine of not more than $2,000 or imprisonment for 1 year or both.

Fees:

All documented or registered vessels 30 feet in length or greater are required to pay an annual processing (user fee) of $25.00 in U.S. dollars if crossing the international border.

Payment is required for the vessel at or before the time of the first arrival of each calendar year. If you report your arrival in person or by telephone and a fee is applicable, you may charge the fee to your American Express, Discover, Visa or

Master Card. A non-transferable decal will be issued upon payment and mailed to your address of record. CBP will not grant a clearance if outstanding fees are due.

Decals may also be purchased via the Internet at:

https://tradelinks4.mellon.com/cbp/Dispatcher.

If you purchased your decal through the Mellon Bank, Pittsburg, PA, the CBP User Fee Administrator will handle your annual decal mailings/reminders at the Mellon Bank. Please carry a copy of the decal application for verification if you have submitted payment to Mellon Bank and have not received your decal.

ALTERNATIVE INSPECTION SYSTEMS PROGRAMS:

I-68 Program:

Under the I-68 program, applicants for admission into the United States by small pleasure boats are pre-registered and issued a single boating permit for the entire boating season. The I-68 permit allows boaters to enter the United States from Canada for recreational purposes with only the need to report to CBP for further inspection by placing a phone call to report their arrival. I-68 holders are still subject to reporting to a CBP port of entry upon CBP request. Contact any local CBP office in advance to make an appointment to obtain an I-68.

· To enroll in the program, each applicant must appear in person for an interview and various law enforcement checks. Proof of citizenship is required at interview.

· Fees are $16 U.S. dollars for an individual or a total of $32 U.S. dollars for a family. The names and dates of birth of children less than 14 years of age may be listed on one or both parents’ I-68, however it is recommended that each child have a separate I-68 form.

· An I-68 is issued for 12 months and must be renewed in person at a CBP office.

Eligibility:

U.S. Citizens (USC) or lawful permanent residents, Canadian Citizens, or landed immigrants of Canada who are nationals of Visa Waiver Program countries are eligible to apply for seasonal boating permits (proof of status required). When the I-68 is used by a person who is not a USC or lawful permanent resident of the United States, admission shall be for no more than 72 hours and only if they will remain in nearby shopping areas, nearby residential neighborhoods; or other similar areas, adjacent to the immediate shore areas of the United States.

Registration Location:

Applications for the I-68 program are required to be in person at any designated

Port of Entry within the jurisdiction of the Seattle Field Office.

NEXUS:
The NEXUS alternative inspection program allows pre-screened, low-risk travelers to be processed with little or no delay by U.S. and Canadian border officials. Approved applicants are issued a photo-identification/proximity card, which is valid for 5 years.

Participants cross the border in a dedicated lane where they present their membership identification and proximity card for expedited processing unless selected for a more intensive examination. Small boat operators in possession of a NEXUS member card may report their arrival via phone.

· To enroll in the program, each applicant must fill

out an application and mail it to Canada Customs.

· Include a check for $50.00 (US Currency) per

person for individuals 18 years of age and over.

· Appear in person for interview, and various law

enforcement checks.

Eligibility:

Citizens or permanent residents of the United States or Canada are eligible for NEXUS. Non-permanent residents demonstrating a need to utilize the NEXUS system may also be eligible. Applicants must be approved by both the United States and Canada and present proof of status.

Registration Location:

Application for NEXUS participation can be made via the website address at:

www.getnexus.com

CBP will set up an appointment with you to complete the application process. For more information contact Blaine, WA NEXUS Enrollment Center at

(360) 332-2380 or (360) 332-2381.

SENTRI:
The SENTRI Program is a Southern Border facilitated traveler program. SENTRI participants need not apply for a NEXUS card to qualify for the small boat phone-in program.

REPORTING SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITIES:

Please report any suspicious activities observed to

1-800-BE-ALERT (1-800-232-5378) or the after hours toll free number 1-800-562-5943

HAVE A SAFE AND ENJOYABLE BOATING SEASON!

I-68 ISSUING SITES

ABERDEEN (360) 532-2030

ANACORTES (360) 293-2331
BELLINGHAM (360) 734-5463

BLAINE (360) 332-6318

EVERETT (425) 259-0246

FRIDAY HARBOR (360) 378-2080
OROVILLE (509) 476-3132

POINT ROBERTS (360) 945-2314

PORT ANGELES (360) 457-4311

PORT TOWNSEND (360) 385-3777

ROCHE HARBOR (360) 378-2080

SEATTLE, BOEING

FIELD (206) 553-0185

TACOMA (253) 593-6336

* Please contact your nearest office for

sailor-d

State or Province: Other
Photos: Sailor-D
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:25 pm    Post subject: Entry to USA - Requirements Reply with quote

Much like the bureaucratic rhetoric we have. I am thinking it may be easier just to produce a passport. I entered the USA at Roche Harbor last summer with no great problem (she just threw my orange and killer homemade chili in the trash - it had cooked Canadian ground beef in it)

Dave
dogon dory

State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: DogOnDory
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: REPORTING BOARDER CROSSINGS. Reply with quote

Sorry, Folks - Post Deleted By Author

Last edited by dogon dory on Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fishin_Steve

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 24 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C-Jeannie
Photos: C-Jeannie
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The official Nexus site is www.nexus.gc.ca

The Nexus marine portion is only available in the Detroit area at this time.

Until it is available in Puget Sound I'll just check in the regular way with customs.

Thanks for the info about where one can check in in Puget Sound.

But Honey, I'll name the boat after you!!
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dog .. You caught me. Tom Elliott backwards is elliott, tom or E.T. oohh!! the only canadian ship I will be hovering around is the halibut guides out of victoria.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Seamanship All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: