The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Trollmaster Kicker Throttle Control

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Trollmaster Kicker Throttle Control Reply with quote

Looking for experience shares on throttle kicker control from the rear helm. We have a dual binnacle honda setup with a 9.9 I want to control from the back of the boat where I have a lowrance HDS 7 with autopilot. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Troll Master Pro throttle control, the wired version and storing the remote in the deck hatch on the side just above the step. Anyone else using one or the competitor Itroll.
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the wireless trollmaster on my CD-25 with my Yamaha 9,9 kicker. Love it. I’m sure the wired version will work just as well. I do not have a rear helm and the admiral like to see where she’s going when we troll. (About 150 hours a year. ) My 9.9 is steered by a rod that runs to the 200. I also have a autopilot but seldom use it when trolling.

2011 CD 25 "C-Otter" 07/2015 to present
2011 CD 25 "My Girl" 06/2015 renamed C-Otter
2004 CD 22 Commuter "Out2C" 03/10 to 06/15
chromer

City/Region: Anacortes
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Photos: Checkpoint II
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one for several years. there is a wiring micro-connector that typically resides under the cowling of the kicker. That thing is subject to corrode quickly. I permanently butt connected mine with sealed connectors.

the real deal with these is the servo that yanks on the throttle linkage. I really liked my troll master and eventually wrote a iPhone app to send the signals to the servo. I guess that maybe somewhat similar to their wireless product these days.

Checkpoint II (SOLD 10/2020)
Alure Bertram 28
kaelc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Avidmagnum12 wrote:
I use the wireless trollmaster on my CD-25 with my Yamaha 9,9 kicker. Love it. I’m sure the wired version will work just as well. I do not have a rear helm and the admiral like to see where she’s going when we troll. (About 150 hours a year. ) My 9.9 is steered by a rod that runs to the 200. I also have a autopilot but seldom use it when trolling.

My wife is not trolling for me so lots of autopilot. When did you buy yours? There is a thread on the walleye forum and a local guy or two complain about battery drain and having to replace and send back the remote version, so I had been scared away.
Avidmagnum12

City/Region: Ocklawaha
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2011
Vessel Name: C-Otter
Photos: C-Otter
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The battery life is not great. With good batteries about 10 hours. I’ve had my unit for about 3 years. I take them out between usages and that seems to help quite a bit. Cost of boating I guess. Also did not want to try and run another cord to the helm. I removed the screws and just tape the batteries in!
Everything is a compromise.
Tom
tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Trollmaster Kicker Throttle Control Reply with quote

kaelc wrote:
Looking for experience shares on throttle kicker control from the rear helm. We have a dual binnacle honda setup with a 9.9 I want to control from the back of the boat where I have a lowrance HDS 7 with autopilot. I'm about to pull the trigger on a Troll Master Pro throttle control, the wired version and storing the remote in the deck hatch on the side just above the step. Anyone else using one or the competitor Itroll.

They work great I have been using one for 20+ years.
Keep the control box as dry as possible & out of the salt spray. I mounted mine in the cabin at helm. Use lots of dielectric grease on the connections under the motor cowling & protect from salt atmosphere with tape or whatever you can dream up. Don't take much salt to eat a 22awg wire at the servo connection.
kaelc

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2021 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback on both!

If I was to get the wired version I’d have to store it in the hatch where it would be pretty moist. Maybe I should buy an itroll, more expensive but it is a sealed waterproof unit.
kaelc

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2021 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I ordered the Trollmaster Pro 3+ they are very well priced on ebay and I really want to have something so I can fish solo with my son and soon my son and daughter. Appreciate the C-Brats input.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Motor Control Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: