The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Shipping cross country

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BorrowedTime

City/Region: Hollywood
State or Province: MD
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:27 am    Post subject: Shipping cross country Reply with quote

I would appreciate advice and experiences from folks for shipping a TomCat from the West Coast to the East Coast. I'm getting some very high prices from shipping companies, at this point coming in around $5K. It would be from Oregon to Maryland. Thanks!
kcohen4

City/Region: WILLIAMSBURG
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Annie M.
Photos: Annie M
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Shipping cost have risen Reply with quote

Did you try UShip?
https://www.uship.com/

1982 CC Landfall 38
1979 Catalina 27
JonO

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tremolo
Photos: JonO
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great question. I'm in the midwest (Wisconsin) and want to be able to pull the trigger when the need arises... hopefully soon but it's clearly a seller's market at the moment. Would appreciate any additional advice. Following.

JonO
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To give a feeling for what costs are, here's a data point. We shipped a sailboat from San Diego to Mobile, Al in 2000. It was 36', 12' beam and had a 50' mast. We paid 4K through an outfit the Catalina factory used.

One would expect some increase in 20 years, considering fuel, truck prices,etc. That makes the 5K look reasonable.

I'd keep looking. Contact the C-Dory factory and see who they use. Also, does that include a trailer?

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used U ship. But be sure that the company has proof of bonding and insurance. Also have your boat insurance in force, and notify the carrier that it is being shipped by a 3rd party. A good hauler will give you daily phone calls to tell you of his progress.

Currently prices are high because of higher cost of fuel, and the great demand for new boats. Your best bet is to find a hauler who just brought boat or boats to the West Coast, and is going empty back to the East Coast. The vast majority of new boats are built in the Carolinas to Florida. We saw numerous boats being shipped on I 10 recently going West. Only one large power boat being shipped to the east. on our 2000 mile trip from Florida to Calif.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the heck of it, I ran a C-Dory 25 with trailer through UShip. Skipping all the problems of insurance, etc., the estimated cost for a C-Dory 25 shipped from San Diego to Annapolis gave the following numbers (~):
Low 1800
High 4200
Median 2800

Those prices look good. UShip has a boat category, where one inputs certain parameters and then it comes up with an estimate. I don't know where their numbers come from or if you can hire someone for any of those estimates. Bob, could you comment?

Boris
bshillam

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1981
Vessel Name: Heaven To Me
Photos: My Heaven
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a CD coming from NY to Oregon here in a few weeks. Maybe my transporter would be happy to pick up so he doesn't have to go back empty.

Hit me up and I'll connect the two of you. His prices are fantastic and has shipped for me in the past as well as other C-Brats.

Bryrick
503-781-9967
bshillam@hotmail.com
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Those prices look good. UShip has a boat category, where one inputs certain parameters and then it comes up with an estimate. I don't know where their numbers come from or if you can hire someone for any of those estimates. Bob, could you comment?

If one has a trailer, it opens up many more possibilities for shipping. There are a number of haulers who just have a pickup or even 550-650 who will only haul on trailers, and these will be less expensive.

Those numbers are excellent. I suspect that the lowest are with the trailer on the road.

The Tom Cat may be more expensive because it is a catamaran and the support for the twin hulls is different than the usual hauling trailer. Even a low boy could haul a Tom Cap, if there were a travel lift to put aboard.
JonO

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Tremolo
Photos: JonO
PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really useful information.

Of course, the "use its own trailer" is counting on the trailer, tires and bearings being sound. I imagine it could be a nightmare if the trailer breaks down, leaving a third-party to deal with the mess.

Related question: Is there a thread on how to successfully buy a boat without ever seeing it and running it in person? It's not my first choice but it may come to that.

JonO
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JonO wrote:
Really useful information.

Of course, the "use its own trailer" is counting on the trailer, tires and bearings being sound. I imagine it could be a nightmare if the trailer breaks down, leaving a third-party to deal with the mess.

Related question: Is there a thread on how to successfully buy a boat without ever seeing it and running it in person? It's not my first choice but it may come to that.

JonO

My advice to people buying a boat remotely is to buy a plane ticket and spend at least a day looking at the boat in person. If possible arrange the survey then, and a sea trial.

I have seen too many depend of photos--often years old. The "motor runs perfectly"--and to get the boat home and find the motor overheats on the first run--and has to be scrapped. $$$$

If you absolutely cannot go to the boat, see if some knowledgeable person lives near the boat and would take an objective look for your. I have done this a number of times, and provided new photos of potentially problem areas.

The other option is to have a good surveyor look at the boat. When I bought the first 25, it was a boat described in excellent condition. A potential buyer paid about $400 for a survey. There was a hole in the cockpit deck, a bulkhead was loose, because the boat had been abused etc. Of course the potential buyer from Washington State was PO. The boat was in N J. I eventually bought that boat for half of the asking price. I had not seen it, but I had the surveyor's report. It was reasonably accurate. I had factored in what the costs were to repair the boat. Doing it myself--very doable. Having a shop do it--not worth it. So it depends on your skill level and time available.
BorrowedTime

City/Region: Hollywood
State or Province: MD
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:43 am    Post subject: shippng cross country Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses! I have included UShip for pricing. It looks like 5 to 6K for cross county shipping of a TomCat is the going market for cost. I will keep shopping around.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to hi-jack, but...

Quote:
Is there a thread on how to successfully buy a boat without ever seeing it and running it in person?

As Dr Bob noted, a plane ticket and a few days with a qualified surveyor can't be understated. However, we were just beginning the possible purchase of a 40' Willard that was in San Carlos, Mexico last month. I paid a local, well known, well respected surveyor $175 for him to do a walk thru with photos and to give me his honest opinion on the boat, the price etc. This was not a survey/sea trial but more a "what do YOU think" before I hopped on a plane and drove thru the Sonoran desert to have a personal look etc. I got the glowing praise form the owner/seller, of course. They surveyor pointed out things that I could not tell from photos. It's not a substitute, but will give you an unbiased opinion based on experience etc. From there you can pull out or move forward.

Last edited by localboy on Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: shippng cross country Reply with quote

BorrowedTime wrote:
Thanks for the responses! I have included UShip for pricing. It looks like 5 to 6K for cross county shipping of a TomCat is the going market for cost. I will keep shopping around.

Diesel is quickly jumping UP in price. I filled up last week for $3.09/gallon. It's now $3.40/gallon. IN A WEEK. Evil or Very Mad Rolling Eyes And it's not going down anytime soon...
rshuman531

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Raven
Photos: Raven
PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a TomCat, but last summer we contracted to have a CD-25 towed on its own trailer from the Chesapeake to Seattle. I recall it was about $4400. Pulled by a professional service with a 1-ton pickup with dual rear wheels. The trip took 3 days with two drivers. We had the trailer serviced and bought new tires for the trip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: