The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

General kicker install question...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MilesandMiles

State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 1992
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: MilesandMiles
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2014 10:50 pm    Post subject: General kicker install question... Reply with quote

I googled this question in various forms but either couldn't find the magic words to ask it correctly, or it hasn't been asked (or is too common knowledge, thus no one has felt the need to ask)

So....we recently picked up a 1992 CD22-cruiser with a honda 90. I need to put a kicker on it for trolling/fishing.

I've had a welded aluminum boat for a few years now, and have forgotten what it's like to consider the transom (so as not to cause yourself problems later on by damaging or compromising it in some small way, that could later become a big way)

When ya'll put the kicker on, do you put anything between the clamps (the round clamp pads) and the transom? Like wood? Or thin strip of metal to keep the pads from digging into the transom (if they even would)

Also: This boat has power trim tabs. I did find some past posts about solving the problem of the tabs getting in the way (mini jacker, trimming down the tab) but I wouldn't mind--and much appreciate--if anyone wanted to speak again about what worked for them with this issue.

Thanks
M&M
Dan McNally

City/Region: Bothell
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Shannon- Colleen
Photos: Shannon-Colleen
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How is your 90 horse mounted,straight to the transom I would bet. My kicker is mounted straight to the transom with no problems. You could use a light gauge metal strip if wanted but I see no need for it.

Dan
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have always used a kicker mount. The smaller engines, we have used, have ridges in the frame, which will scar up the transom, and the clamps may also scar the side of the engine well. The kicker mount gets the engine far enough aft to clear the trim tabs.

There are rubber pads you can buy to put over the transom--but there may not be quite as good a "grip"….

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
anchorout

City/Region: Lake Charles
State or Province: LA
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: EZ DUZIT
Photos: EZ DUZIT
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: kicker Reply with quote

Miles: I had the same questions when I mounted my kicker. It takes a little time, but if you comb through the "Photo" section of this forum you will see many options to mounting your kicker as well as trim tabs, transducers, and other transom devices.
Spike

City/Region: Kent
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Bootleg Hooch
Photos: Bootleg Hooch
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Miles
I have trim tabs on my boat also. And have my kicker mounted on a mini jack plate it clears the tabs by about 3\4 of an inch. The plate is mounted to the transom using large washers and sealed with 3M 5200

shellndanm

City/Region: Chesterfield
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Linda M
Photos: Linda M
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 8:09 pm    Post subject: kicker bracket Reply with quote

I just installed a kicker bracket on my boat. The bracket is an Amarine-made product. I like the moveable bracket approach so a short shaft can be used, easier to carry and while underway the skeg stays far out of the water when the bracket is in the fully up position.

Make sure you over drill and fill with epoxy. My boat is a 2005 and still has a plywood transom. The transom is just over 2 inches thick and you will need 3 inch long bolts I would use at least 5/16 diameter for mounting.

On a side note. I don't fish but wouldn't the running the boat with the Honda 90 at idle slow be slow enough for trolling?

Dan McPartlin
MilesandMiles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has helped. I think I'm going the mini jack route. Like most of us here I imagine, drilling holes in the transom makes me a nervous wreck....

Q: Does a 1992 CD22 cruiser have a plywood or balsa core transom? I'm guessing balsa?

idling/trolling with a 90: I've always been kind of an MPG's fanatic, and the thought of being a few miles of shore without a back up motor that will at least turn the boat into the waves makes me almost as nervous as drilling holes in the transom.

Since I do most of my fishing/boating solo, I'm going to mount the kicker on the port side for balance. I've been combing a lot of brat's albums and think I've got it planned out now.

Much appreciated. Thanks.

M&M
MilesandMiles

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(I googled this question as well, but not quite satisfied)

Where has the c-brats landed on the 3M 4200/5200 "debate?

I've been reading various other boat brand forums and it's all over the map.
Aurelia

City/Region: Gig Harbor
Photos: Aurelia
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pertaining to mounting a kicker mount on the transom:

If you are looking at just those two options, I have to say 4200 is the one you want. You are looking to create strength with your stainless fasteners and a seal with the goop in the tube. If you are overdrilling and epoxy filling as most folks on here recommend, it could be argued that the sealant is really just a backup for that and even unnecessary depending on where its used.

I use 4200 much more of the time in general.

Greg

Ari - 19 Cruiser sold 2023
currently exploring with "Lia", 17 ft Bullfrog Supersport Pilothouse
Montana Kev

City/Region: Bozeman/Yellowstone
State or Province: MT
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Grace
Photos: Grace
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M&M,

A couple thoughts. If mounting on port, consider the location of the tiller and steering. It can be a tight fit with the tiller also on the port side of the motor.

I had mounted our kicker on the port side because the previous owner had clamped one to the transom and there were clamp marks in the gel coat. I added a mini jacker in the same spot. Then I learned I could not turn the tiller very far to port as it hit the side of the well. Later I found a used swim step and the best place for a step is on the port side, free of cables. I ended up moving the mini jacker to the other side, patching holes and drilling even more holes.
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MilesandMiles wrote:

Q: Does a 1992 CD22 cruiser have a plywood or balsa core transom? I'm guessing balsa?

This doesn't directly answer your question, but my 2002 has balsa core. If you are going to overdrill and fill though, it won't really matter much (although balsa can be slightly easier to remove).

About being nervous: If this helps any, just know that these holes you drill, overfill, and re-drill will be the "safest" holes in your transom (unless a prior owner has given the other, "original" holes, the treatment). So I'd say if you want to be nervous, worry about all the other holes that are already there -- that you have not made yourself!

(I did, and as a result went and properly treated every single hole in the transom - none of them had anything more than a whisper of sealant and bare balsa; however since the boat had been stored indoors and barely used, I only had a very small amount of damp core under the transom drain which was easily dealt with.)

All that to day, if you do these holes correctly, they will be the "best" holes you have. And it's not hard to do it right, just a bit painstaking, and you have to be willing to spend a bit for materials (but then you are set up for future).
Captains Cat

City/Region: Cod Creek>Potomac River>Chesapeake Bay
State or Province: VA
Vessel Name: Captain's Choice II
Photos: Captain's Cat
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that if it's coupled with the Main with a link, you can steer with your wheel or if not you can use the Main as a "rudder" and get some steering. The throttle is another issue which most folks, in the take home mode, don't worry about until they get very close to that home pier.

Charlie

CHARLIE and PENNY CBRAT #100
Captain's Cat II 2005 22 Cruiser
Thataway (2006 TC255 - Sold Aug 2013)
Captain's Cat (2006 TC255 - Sold January 2012)
Captain's Kitten (1995 CD 16 Angler- Sold June 2010)
Captain's Choice (1994 CD 22 Cruiser- Sold Jun 2007)
Potomac River/Chesapeake Bay
K4KBA
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feel free to take a look at my album of Midnight Flyer. One of the imbedded albums is of my kicker install. Colby
MilesandMiles

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colbysmith wrote:
Feel free to take a look at my album of Midnight Flyer. One of the imbedded albums is of my kicker install. Colby

That's more/less exactly how I'm doing it. It looks like you went with an extra long shaft? The 6hp looks like a perfect compromise size (small enough to fit and be light, big enough to get the job done)

Thanks for the heads up on your album, I missed it during my research.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it was the "extra" long shaft, but just the standard long shaft. I've been very happy with the set up. With the adjustment I have it on now, it clears the trim tabs by about 1/2". I think it weighs about 60 lbs. And at full throttle pushes the boat at about 5 kts. (At 75% throttle is still pushes about 4 - 4.5 kts.) The mini jacker probably weighs another 15 lbs. I did have to place shims between the transom and the mini jacker to get just a little more clearance. The kicker I have, is Tohatsu model number MFS 6CD L. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: