Advice Needed on A/C and Generator for New Boat
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
billyii

City/Region: Conroe
State or Province: TX
C-Dory Year: 2022
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:08 pm    Post subject: Advice Needed on A/C and Generator for New Boat Reply with quote

I have a 25 Cruiser arriving in August and I would certainly appreciate some advice on which A/C unit to install and possibly some advice on another generator choice.

The units now under consideration are the Coleman Mach 1 11,000 BTU with a heat element and the Coleman Mach 8 EZ Cub 9,200 BTU with a heat element.

I would prefer to use the light weight Honda EU2200i Companion generator with whatever air conditioner that I end up installing on the boat. However, which air conditioner of the two or a third brand and size A/C is
up in the air right now.

Living in Texas with our hot and humid summers has me mainly concerned if a 9,200 or 11,000 BTU unit will cool the boat during the daytime, especially while underway. My other concern is if the Honda
2200 generator is large enough to power the A/C with a little left over for some other electrical needs. At my age, I think the 2200 is about the heaviest generator I can handle.

The factory is pre-wiring the boat for the A/C unit and regardless of what A/C unit, I do plan to install a Micro-Air Easy Start.

Any and all advice and comments on which air conditioner and generator will be best for the 25 will certainly be appreciated.

Thanks very much,
Billy Horne
P.S. It is or is almost an impossibility to find an A/C now.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had the Polar Cub 9200 BTU AC unit on our Tom Cat--there are photos of the install in my album. We ran that on the Honda EU2000. We have now owned a Honda EU2200. It is a better generator. The advantage of the Easy Micro Start, is that you will be able to run the generator on economy mode. With out the Easy start, we had to run on regular--full RPM mode.

As for running anything more than a battery charger--that would be iffy. We do have a Li battery (200 amp hours) and the Victron Multiples 2000/80/50. That will boost output of mains power for short periods of increased power usage. That should allow the use of an induction burner. It would also support the use of a microwave, for a very short time...

Without a boost technology, you could use a battery or USB type of charger.

I do believe that with the micro start, you would have no issue with the 11,000 BTU Unit. But, there will be less "left over power". My personal feeling is that the 9,200 is plenty. (We use a 5,000 BTU window unit on our 25 currently, because I didn't want to loose the level top so we can put our dinghy up there. We could have built SS railings the same level as the aC unit and accomplished that...

With the 5,000 BTU units, we can take the temp 20* below ambient. It is fine at hight--During the day, we use Reflextic (Foil, mylar/bubble wrap) to insulate the windows.

I have lived in Houston, and we low live in Pensacola--the 9200 was fine for us, But John on his 25 prefers the 15,000 BTU unit--like a walk in freezer Sad

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duplicate post
billyii

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Advice Needed on A/C and Generator for New Boat Reply with quote

Bob, thanks very much for your informative answers to my questions
concerning the A/C unit for a 25 Cruiser. I think you have convinced
me the Coleman Cub 9,200 with the Micro Easy Start should be
sufficient for the 25. Looking at all your photos definitely gave me some
more good ideas on other things, too-grab handles, hooks for hanging
and storage, etc.

I do have a few more questions, if you would be so kind as to help
me out with the answers:
1. Did you use some kind of sealant on the edges of the balsa wood
where you made the roof cut and then between the A/C and the roof?
If yes, do you have a recommendation for the type and brand to use?
2. You mentioned in one of your photos that the "insulation and
headliner will cover the frame" (wood) around the A/C cutout.
Did you install some type of insulation and a headliner on your entire
ceiling or just something around the A/C itself? If so, what did you use?

When I was growing up I spent time in Pensacola visiting my grandparents
and an uncle and aunt who lived on Bayou Blvd. in East
Pensacola Heights, so I have a little experience fishing and boating
in your area. Now, when I pass through Pensacola, I always stop
by Joe Patti's for some steamed shrimp, etc.

Again, thanks very much for all your help and excellent information;
and especially for your taking the time to answer my questions. I would
also like to hear from anyone else who has experience with the Coleman 9,200
or the Honda 2200.

Billy
CharlieRock

City/Region: Celebration
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Charlie Rock
Photos: Charlie Rock
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished installing the 9200 Colemsn cub. Buy the easy start. It runs great on our Honda 2200eu genset. Dr bob has a thorough installation post. I have some current details on wire choice, breaker, etc. Happy to talk by phone.
Charlie Rock (former Noro Lim/Journey) 2006 CC23
Charlie Rock 2017 Ranger Tug R23 2017-2020
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy,

We think that your concern re needing AC ‘while underway’ is unfounded. Our experience with 25 years on the Gulf Coast and South Florida summers is that when you have an opening center window (this makes ALL the difference) and an aft door, that you will NOT need air conditioning at any speed including idle or displacement speed. In prior posts re this subject, Dr Bob has pretty much agreed on this subject. I’m surprised he didn’t say so.

My PO inferred that the factory installed the AC on my boat for the Southern market (no Wallas), and I have no info on how they did it (but I suspect, not as well as Dr Bob did his). It has never leaked.

High quality 12v marine fans (Caframo, Hella, etc) and a big RTIC tumbler full of ice water at the helm and Nav seats also helps a lot.

It might also be a challenge to mount a Honda 2200 OUTSIDE the cockpit and yet not in a position to get salt water soaked by a rogue wake etc while running while underway.

We had a 13.5 BTU rooftop adequate Coleman, which we replaced with a 15K mainly to speed cabin cooldown when we dock at the next marina (20 min cooldown, and only $150 more at purchase). We admit that is way overkill for this boat.

We choose not to use our ancient Honda 2000iu on the boat, although many C-Brats do with GREAT success.

PM then call Tim on CharlieRock re his install also, he’ll be very helpful.

Hope this is helpful,

John

thataway

PostPosted: Sun Jun 13, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Billy,
We have never felt the need to run the AC during the day when on the water. If working on the boat on the trailer on land--yes!

The generator is mounted over the splash well. I made a Starboard platform, took the bolts out of the legs and used an Allan cap screw to replace those and attach to the platform. The platform is suspended on two legs also made of Starboard, going to a bar across the splash well support the center, and a bolt thru the lip of the bulkhead between the spashwell and cockpit holds the rest of the weight. We keep a waterproof cover over the EU2200. I thought I had a photo, but didn't find it-and am traveling currently, so I cannot run out and take one.

I did not put.a headliner in any of my boats. I have put headliners on door skin plywood, and then used teak buttons to hold the headliner in place. I was not able to find the closed cell foam material I had used in the past. The mahogany works well and stained very close to teak in color.

I did use West Systems epoxy on the edges of the cutout--which I undercut and put a rim of thickened epoxy all around the cut out. No leaks.

If you are ever in the Pensacola area, give me a shout. E-mail or PM and I will send our phone # and address.

We do have two fans in the cabin, and two fans blowing into the V Berth. As you probably saw, there is no bulkhead between the pilot house and V Berth on the Port side.
billyii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, Tim and John,

It is so great to be able to get good honest answers to my questions from guys like y'all. I do appreciate your taking the time to help me out.

To make some comments to some things mentioned in your posts, I do have some fans on order and I do worry more about cooling than heating (might change when winter rolls around again?). Instead of ordering a Wallas, I have a Coleman folding two burner cooktop on order and a Mr. Heater. The factory is wiring the boat for a/c, but they were unable to get anything but a 15,000 BTU unit which would probable have been fine except for needing a much larger and heavier generator which I would not have been able to lift and move around.

So the big problem now is finding a Coleman 9200 or any other a/c unit. Every place seems to be out. Several other things I have ordered are also on back order.

A big thanks to all of you,

Billy
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the interim until you can find a Coleman 9200 BTU unit, you might get one of the small window units--be sure it will fit the window--most will for the 25. There are photos in my and in the "Seaweed" album of how his was modified. I added handles to the side which fold down. Also I have a lifting system using block and tackle (small) to get it up onto the "shelf". Wooden runners on the bottom help to let it slide into place and stay there.

Of course this is not for use when running the boat.

I suspect that the roof units will be back ordered for some time.

Bob
billyii

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, I had not thought of that, but it would be a temporary solution for less than $150. I will be taking your advice in the next few days if I can't locate a 9200 and it is beginning to look like that will be the case.

I did see the pictures of your portable window unit and the davit in your picture album. You and the others have been a big help.

Billy
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the only 6,000 BTU unit we could find that fits in the TC255 front window. Measurements are in the specs, most Home Depots will have one.
We used pool noodles, nerf balls etc to fill in gaps for that ghetto chic look that most C-Brats crave...

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electronics-6-000-BTU-115-Volt-Window-Air-Conditioner-with-Remote-in-White-LW6017R/300422895

John
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 5K BTU or 6K BTU should fit the window. But you need to check the measurements, they are not all the same shape.

If you are going to run off a generator, you might be served better by mechanical controls rather than electronic ones on the AC unit.
thataway

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The simple "Arctic King" at Walmart is $125 and fits the windows. It is a "mechanical" control--which means not LCD and such. Basic--no remote. I wold not pay $50 to $100 more for 1000 more BTU cooling. Although my current boat has a specific plug right next to the window, I have run them on other boats with a "heavy duty appliance" 5' extension cord from the outlet near the galley outboard of the helm seat.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And for those of you who want AC, those 5000 btu units will run off a Honda 1000. The cooling is great. Except on the Sacrament River in August.

Boris
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
The simple "Arctic King" at Walmart is $125 and fits the windows. It is a "mechanical" control--which means not LCD and such. Basic--no remote. I wold not pay $50 to $100 more for 1000 more BTU cooling. Although my current boat has a specific plug right next to the window, I have run them on other boats with a "heavy duty appliance" 5' extension cord from the outlet near the galley outboard of the helm seat.

You do have to watch the dimension. I got a 5K unit once and it did not fit. Had to find a different one. If you look at the small ac units, you'll see that they are all very similar. It looks to me that they are all OEMed by one or two companies and there are only a couple of different case layouts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: