The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Honda BF 150A wont start
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 4:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This hasn't been covered yet, and might be a long shot, and I am not a mechanic, but there are 2 things.

ONE, the position of the throttle/gear shifter, (Forward or Reverse). If it is not in the Neutral position it will not start. I think in some cases it will crank, but not fire.

TWO, the position sensor in the shifter handle may not be contacting properly.

I am betting that it is clogged carb jets due to prolonged storage of bad (ethanol containing) gas.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Schuster

City/Region: Port Orchard
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Witch
Photos: Sea Witch
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject: honda 150 wont start Reply with quote

Update.
So, i got some starter fluid and gave it a squirt and got it to fire off. Tried is a few times and same thing, wouldn't stay lit. So It would seem I have a fuel delivery issue. After the few tries I notices that the squeeze bulb was still hard so I don't believe any fuel move thru the system. Not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions out there?
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 6:17 pm    Post subject: You opened the flood gates on questions Reply with quote

Just trying to help here:
-- If you have carburetors, 99% that is the issue after 20 months of sitting. If you rebuild, use a DIY video, take each carb apart on cookie sheet to save all the parts, and use an OEM rebuild kit. You will have to sync the carbs when done.
-- If you are EFI/fuel injected, then it is a bit more complicated. The "black box" could be not working, the injector pump could be bad, the injectors could be fouled (not likely), the power to the fuel management system could be under voltage, and it is time to try and read the history and diagnostic codes.
-- Be sure that the oil level is correct as most Honda motors have a low oil sensor that on some of their engines will shut down the engine start/run system.
-- The engine temp monitor can not only set off codes and alarms, it may be able to shut down the engine or not allow it to start.
-- This may be a good time to change out the thermostat.
Hope this helps,
Bob Jarrard PS: feel free to call and visit with me at 714 686-2728
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Update.
So, i got some starter fluid and gave it a squirt and got it to fire off. Tried is a few times and same thing, wouldn't stay lit. So It would seem I have a fuel delivery issue. After the few tries I notices that the squeeze bulb was still hard so I don't believe any fuel move thru the system. Not sure where to go from here. Any suggestions out there?

If you feel it might be in the fuel delivery system, I think I would just hook up a fuel line from another source of fuel, and see if it then runs. If so, you know your problem is in the fuel tank or line. Could be something as simple as the primer bulb isn't priming. Or remove the current fuel line from the motor and see if you can get fuel through the line. If fuel is coming thru the line, then it's likely an issue with the outboards fuel system. (Or bad fuel.)
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: honda 150 wont start Reply with quote

Schuster wrote:
Update.

It might be time for a tech to look at it as this....But, if you want to chase it down.....since this is EFI it has a real fuel pump, and it has to come on. The pump will be controlled by the ECU and there will be a crank sensor that tells the ECU when to fire the injectors. Sometimes the crank sensor is associated with the ignition system and sometimes they are not. You'll have to dig into your Honda manual to find out for sure. That's important because since you got it to run on starting fluid, that means it has spark, and sometimes the crank sensor provides a reference for both ignition and injection. If that is the case with the EFI 150, then you know you have a good CPS. So, where does that leave you? When you turn the key you should have voltage at the pump - you will need to check that. If you do, great, check your fuel pressure. Low pressure or no pressure = new fuel pump or something wrong with fuel lines, filters, or primer bulb upstream of the pump. If you don't have voltage to the pump, then it comes back to what turns it on, which is the ECU and its sensors. Have you pulled any codes from it?
Schuster

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: honda 150 wont start Reply with quote

I'm at the ragged edge of my mechanical expertise so I think I'm going to pull the injector rail and see if fuel is getting that far and clean the injectors. I'm a little hesitant to take the VST apart and examine the hp pump inside. As far as checking for pressure from hp pump i'm not equipped to do that and don't feel good about probing around with electrical stuff. I've watched a couple videos of it but think I might be better served by a Honda mechanic. I'll be taking it to Toms Outboards in Olympia if the injectors cleaning doesn't work, but it's about a month before they can work on it.
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't blame you for wanting a mechanic, but you have a month to play with it. I'm just curious, have you ever changed your high pressure fuel filter? I wouldn't be shocked at all if it got all plugged up from goofy chemical reactions during the long storage. It's easy enough to change BTW and if you have never done it - it's probably time. I bet it's gross!
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
I don't blame you for wanting a mechanic, but you have a month to play with it. I'm just curious, have you ever changed your high pressure fuel filter? I wouldn't be shocked at all if it got all plugged up from goofy chemical reactions during the long storage. It's easy enough to change BTW and if you have never done it - it's probably time. I bet it's gross!

On my BF90D there are a low pressure and a high pressure fuel filter on the engine itself. These are easy to change. When changing the high pressure filter, you will find out if the fuel system is pressurized.

Simple test would be to remove the high pressure filter element and bypass the low pressure one (a bit of fuel tube required) and see if the engine will run.
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2021 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
T.R. Bauer wrote:

On my BF90D there are a low pressure and a high pressure fuel filter on the engine itself. These are easy to change. When changing the high pressure filter, you will find out if the fuel system is pressurized.

Simple test would be to remove the high pressure filter element and bypass the low pressure one (a bit of fuel tube required) and see if the engine will run.

Yes you will! I hope it is as simple as this Smile
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:24 am    Post subject: Re: 150 Honda wont start progress report. Reply with quote

Schuster wrote:
First off, thanks everyone your help is appreciated immensely.
So here is where I'm at. I have now changed out the fuel filter with a new one on the motor and cleaned the motor water separator, drained the vapor separator. pumped FRESH fuel thru the filter and into the vapor separator until the bulb got hard, so I am confident I don't have a fuel issue. (Although I haven't messed with the high pressure end or pulled any injectors).
I did a continuity check on the emergency shut off switch and it appears to be working. Still wont fire off.
My next step will to follow C.Whisperer's advice and check all the fuses fore to aft and see if something has tripped.

That's all great, but if your fuel pump is bad you still aren't getting fuel. Get some starter fluid.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
Grumpy

City/Region: Whidbey Is
Vessel Name: Kingfisher II
Photos: Kingfisher
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject: BF150 Reply with quote

Had a similar story of BF150 refusing to start next morning after a rough passage. Reluctant local Honda mech with computer could find nothing wrong and had no further time for about 1 month.

Boat was in Canada. Suspected the ECU. Honda Canada not very interested in warranty on Honda US engine.

Short story is I flew home to US, collected trailer caught ferry back to boat and hauled it home to my local friendly boat dealer (EQ Marine) where their very pragmatic engine man noted that I had two engines and, using impeccable logic says, "Lets just swap the ECU's from port to stbd and see what happens". Lo and behold, the fault moved, problem solved in 20 mins.

Don't know if it will help but it looks like you have time to try it.

Good luck.

M

Schuster

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Honda BF 150A wont start update. Reply with quote

So talked with the guys at King Salmon Marine in Tacoma about my problems and they gave me advice on a test to check if the hp fuel pump is working. After replacing the hp fuel filter, I removed the bolt in the center of the head that encapsulates the filter. turned the key and nothing happened. I should have got 40 psi of gas shooting out of there. Problem identified. Spent the day removing the VST and remove the HP fuel pump and tested it again on the bench, nothing. It appears to be corroded completely and frozen. Ordering a new pump tomorrow. I looked on line and there are several replacements for under $100.00 when a Honda replacement pump is like $300+. I makes me a little nervous to buy a after market pump with such a large price difference. anybody got a thought on this. Thanks.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently ordered an aftermarket and had nothing but problems. Ordered the OEM and it worked perfectly.
OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it has narrowed down! How many hours on your engines? I have the exact same one so need to plan for eventual replacement
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 150 that I had the issue with, had been sitting for several years. All of the other 150’s that were run frequently, never had this issue, regardless of engine hours.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: