The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Honda BF 150A wont start
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Schuster

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Witch
Photos: Sea Witch
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Honda BF 150A wont start Reply with quote

I have a Honda BF150A (2006) that has been in storage for about 20 months. For the record up to now I have accomplished the following, Removed the old fuel and replaced with fresh non-ethanol fuel, changed the lower unit fluid, changed the oil and oil filter, changed all plugs (350 hours on motor) while the plugs were out I rotated the engine by hand (no problem).
I put on ear muffs to run the motor and attempted to start it. Everything appears to operate properly however the motor will not start. (new batteries)

I could use some advice on trouble shooting here. Thanks, Dave
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: start with a voltmeter and check connections Reply with quote

-- Look to the voltages at the batteries, the battery switches, the start button/key, under the engine cowl, and before that, pull the positives off first, then take all the ground straps loose, clean them up and their contact points/bolts/nuts. Same for the positives, replace positives first then negatives.
-- Check to see if the house bank will run a good sized load like a 12 volt heater. Same for the start battery. I use jumper cables if needed to add a load.
-- If you have a charger/inverter, check for error lights and blown fuses/breakers.
--If it comes to the solenoid, get a shop manual and read up as well as do a good search on Google - here are some hits to start:
At http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?461212-Honda-150-4-stroke-starting-problems
Or at https://www.thehulltruth.com/boating-how-s-kerno-memorial-forum/1011074-honda-bf150-fuel-issue.html
Or at https://www.bdoutdoors.com/forums/threads/2006-honda-bf150-fuel-line-question.754007/
-- Your motor should be an EFI not carb model but sometimes re-engines use older motors than the year of install. Check your motor serial number to be sure you buy the right engine manual and parts along the way.
-- Your motor should allow you or your mechanic to read fault/error codes.
Hope this helps,
Bob Jarrard
Schuster

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob,
The engine turns over strongly as you would expect with new batteries. The boat has lived on freshwater for the last 14 years. All the electrical connections on the entire boat are like new.
I had a car way back when that acted similarly. It turned out to be what we used to call the 'black box'. I replaced it and off we went. I don't know if this has that sort of thing or what it would be called on the electrical diagram.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be obvious, but is the kill switch key in place? I just helped fix an outboard two days ago with the same systems and it ended up being a defective kill switch. I jumped the switch wires and the engine started...
OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 8:59 pm    Post subject: Great idea on the kill switch Reply with quote

If your motor has a kill switch, that is a point to check. Since it is turning over, the ECU or black box (Engine Control Unit) can be damaged if you have a polarity issue with the new batteries or if you hook them up by accident in series and boost the voltage. If the motors are turning over at normal starting RPMS, likely this is not an issue. You may have a fuel stoppage as the motors turn over. Pull a plug and smell for gas in the cylinder, I use a hose if the plug is deep in the block. You did not mention if you changed the fuel filters or checked them for water. You perhaps have one on the hull side and another one or two on the motor. There is a fuel pump somewhere in the system, sometimes vacuum operated and other times they are mechanical. If the fuel is pulled up by vacuum, then a vacuum leak will starve the engine for fuel. I believe any choke or fuel management is automatic on your motor but all manual chokes are prone to failure. If you have someone help you, check for spark at one of the plugs by pulling it out and holding it next to a ground but beware the famous "ouch I got bit" thing and check for fuel vapors first. Bob Jarrard
Schuster

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: 150 wont start Reply with quote

I will check the kill switch and see if possible from always being connected it has become corroded and lost contact or just gone bad. I did drain the Parker/Racor water separator / filter. No water found, did not change filters yet but I think I will do that next. Unable to check the plugs for spark as the coils are mounted on top of the plugs and Im not sure how i could make that happen. but i will check for a fuel smell at the plug opening. All good suggestions, I'll let you know how I do. Thanks
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kill switch has got me a couple of times.
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2021 11:48 pm    Post subject: Honda motor will not start after 20 months in Storage? Reply with quote

Shuster; Since your 2006 Honda is a carburetor motor, the problem is likely the "ethanol" fuel that has dried and clogged the mid and slow range orifices. I would do a quick check prior to handing the problem to a mechanic. You could either spray gasoline into the air intake duct (or) remove the spark plugs and squirt gas into the cylinders. If the engine responds even slightly, you are likely going to need all 4 carburetors disassembled and cleaned. And if it turns out to be as described, you might read my post from several years ago about how to "fully drain" the carburetor "bowels" before storage.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2006 Honda 150 is an EFI motor. Journey On's motor has set for 6 mos at a time and started up right away, and I use ethanol fuel. However, 20 mos is a long time.

One can check if it's getting spark by removing one spark plug, grounding it and cranking it over, looking for a spark. However, it'll probably take a visit to a repair shop to get it started. They can check the electronic unit and the EFI.

Boris
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too weird - could be so many things, but I suspect it's simple. Fuses? Maybe it has not only the main one but an additional one just for the electronics? You probably already check that out by now though.
Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This could be a simple fix. It's cranking but not starting. You checked the fuel/water separators but didn't replace them. It's possible there isn't enough gas in them to get to the motors. Squeeze the rubber pump several times and see if it gets hard. If it doesn't, you likely have no gas in the separator. I've done this before. Sad

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
cmetzenberg

City/Region: Santa Barbara
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Kanaloa
Photos: Kanaloa
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spray starter fluid into air intake and crank over. if she fires then dies you have a fuel delivery issue. If nothing happens then you know you have a spark issue.

07' Tomcat 255 "Kanaloa"
87' Boston Whaler Guardian 17 (BlackFlag, 03-14)
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if it cranks but does not start its spark or fuel. For fuel start at the bulb and remove the hose. squeeze the bulb . if you get fuel go to the next spot in the line you can take of and do it again. keep doing that until you get pass the fuel pump. turn the engine over when you get pass the fuel pump. If you got fuel the whole way its spark.

For spark pull the plugs and use a spark tester , $5, and test each cylinder . It unlikely you will lose all the ignitors at once as each cylinder has a separate one. As other said go check the safety lanyard. Some times the plastic gets soft. the clip will be there but not holding the switch open enough. Pull it off and pull it out by hand yourself to check it. Other then that I am off to the outboard shop or you tube.

Schuster

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: 150 Honda wont start progress report. Reply with quote

First off, thanks everyone your help is appreciated immensely.
So here is where I'm at. I have now changed out the fuel filter with a new one on the motor and cleaned the motor water separator, drained the vapor separator. pumped FRESH fuel thru the filter and into the vapor separator until the bulb got hard, so I am confident I don't have a fuel issue. (Although I haven't messed with the high pressure end or pulled any injectors).
I did a continuity check on the emergency shut off switch and it appears to be working. Still wont fire off.
My next step will to follow C.Whisperer's advice and check all the fuses fore to aft and see if something has tripped.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can, check the voltage to the engine when the motor is cranking. It wasn't my Honda motor, but there was a problem with the engine on my Nissan truck where it wouldn't fire, but it would crank all day. Turned out that when the engine was cranking the voltage dropped below the voltage required by the ECU but still enough for the starter motor. As long as the ECU wasn't working, neither would the engine.

Turned out the battery was bad, even though the car parts store tested it on their tester and said the battery was ok. Replaced the truck battery and no problems since.

I'm not saying that this is your problem, but it is something I would check.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Outboards and Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: