View previous topic :: View next topic  
LesR

City/Region: St. Louis
State or Province: MO
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Intuition
Photos: Intuition
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Dinghy Replacement Reply with quote

I have an Alaska Series 270TDS dinghy, and identified a leak in one of the seams when assembling it for this week's "shakedown" cruise. As I investigated the leak, the main tube seam separated enough to allow me to stick my hand into the gap.

I called Alaska Series and was told this was not a tricky repair using two-part PVC adhesive. When I mentioned my concerns about possible weakness in the adhesive in other (yet to be determined) locations, he indicated a hesitance for distributing these boats in warmer climates due to the adhesive construction. The dinghy is 10 years old had has spent most of its life in my often very-warm garage. My favorite cruising partner and I are uneasy about making a repair this week, leaving for our Alaska trip next week, and having the confidence needed for this boat.

Unless someone has experience with this type of repair and convinces me that it is a low-risk scenario, I'm inclined to get a new dinghy this week, so that we can test it and the Torqeedo motor I just bought before our planned departure from home late next week.

I realize that given the timing, I may be left with fewer choices. It appears that the local West Marine has their PRU-3 Inflatable in stock (8'4", wood slatted roll-up floor). I don't think this would be my first choice, (would rather have air floor) but given the limited time and our overall limited dinghy usage, this may be a reasonable choice.

Any experience with this or similar WM boats? Any other recommendations?
Thanks any and all input!

Les Rohlf
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing about repairing PVC boats is that the adhesive is sensitive to humidity when curing. Places that repair these boats usually have airconditioned repair bays for gluing and curing.

If you DIY, you need to make sure the humidity is low when you do the gluing.
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would go for Zodiac Cadet as it has an inflatable keel and seems reasonably priced. We had our floor repaired on our Alaska series and it is leaking again. https://www.zodiac-nautic.com/en/shop/produits/equipment/tenders/cadet-roll-up/
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Alaskan is constructed of PVC (as opposed to hypalon) I understand why the guy who sells them is hesitant to have them used in hot climates. I've seen PVC deteriorate in months in Mexico and the south Pacific. 10 years gives your monies worth.

Look at Defender, they sell most brands and can express them to you. We have an Achilles that has given us 15 years of service, with a few repairs, and is still going strong. Especially in hot weather. The cheap West Marine dinghies are cheap and I doubt if they last very long. We've rode in a couple and they don't impress.

Boris
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

journey on wrote:
If the Alaskan is constructed of PVC (as opposed to hypalon) I understand why the guy who sells them is hesitant to have them used in hot climates. I've seen PVC deteriorate in months in Mexico and the south Pacific. 10 years gives your monies worth.

Look at Defender, they sell most brands and can express them to you. We have an Achilles that has given us 15 years of service, with a few repairs, and is still going strong. Especially in hot weather. The cheap West Marine dinghies are cheap and I doubt if they last very long. We've rode in a couple and they don't impress.

Boris

It's not the heat, it's the UV. If you take steps to protect the PVC from the UV it will last a lot longer. PVC boats also have the benefit of being available with thermowelded (rather than glued) seams. Be aware that the less expensive Zodiac (and other) PVC boats are glued and made in China.

I had a Zodiac Pro RIB with welded seams (PVC) and it lasted a lot longer than the hypalon boat with glued seams I had before it.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have owned the West Marine PRU 2 and 3. The 3 is better. One thing to be aware of is that the "slats" are pretty flimsy. ended up by glassing on both sides, and then painting. They can crack. The floor is not as stable as an air floor. I have an Air floor now--and a much. better boat--plus the air floor will plane, if you put a big enough motor on it. It will go faster with the Torpedo than the PRU will. You could make a light plywood floor to go inside of the PRU 3 and that would be more stable--leaving the slats in place.

I didn't have any seam issues with the PRU series. But I keep the dinghy in my garage when not in use.

I am a little surprised that the Alaska boats are having this issue. My Avon (made for West Marine), is PVC and 20 years old...still looks and functions very well.

I would patch the Alaska and sell it, or keep it--. They are quality boats. There are shops which will professionally pull the seams apart and then redo all of them-- if the fabric is good, then almost a new boat...

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
LesR

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for all your replies.

I'll look for a professional to repair the Alaska Series. It's seen minimal use, and the fabric itself seems to be in excellent shape. For this year's adventure, completing and verifying a thorough fix seems impractical. Bob, I agree these seem like quality boats, and a lightly used one with a quality repair is worth keeping or passing on to someone who will make good use of it.

Defender has a limited supply of air floor dinghies in stock. One that looks reasonable is the Zodiac Wave 310 Aero (https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=4409893). I read somewhere that the Aero models are private labeled for Defender. It's a little longer than I need, but appears it will fit on the roof of my 25 with only a slight overhang of the cockpit cover.

Thanks again for the replies - I remain open to any other suggestions and recommendations.

Les
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Wolverine, Same as the Alaska by the same producer, just at a different factory so it has a different name - Wolverine. It is 15 years old and I have recently glued a couple of seam leaks in the air floor. Seems to be holding well.

I have carried the 240 for all 15 years, and used it some every year. They are tough, durable and row like a pig, but they float REALLY WELL, and that is why I carry it.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2021 3:31 pm    Post subject: Dinghy Repair Reply with quote

Call the people at Offshore Rafting (252) 571-0421, an inflatable boat repair facility second to none. They KNOW repairs. I have had conversations with them, visited them, been to their website and Facebook site, and it is generally true that when pvc boat seams start to give out, usually due to heat, humidity, etc, it is the glue in the seams giving out. It may be repairable, but once one seam starts to deteriorate, so go the rest. It may be salvageable, but you don't want to put good money into bad. If you want a relatively inexpensive dinghy that will last, even though it is PVC, get a Defender Wave. Although pvc (French Zodiac material), all the seams are welded like expensive Zodiac Hypalons, and made in the French Zodiac factory.

John
Swee Pea
LesR

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2021 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John,
Thanks very much for the reference to Offshore Rafting. I will likely consult with them when we return from this summer's trip.

When rolling up and putting away the inflatable yesterday, one of the motor bracket mounts fell off Shocked, and I noted other components that had begun to separate from the main tubes. I have a Zodiac Wave 10' boat on the way from Defender, which should arrive next Wednesday.

Les
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 7:56 am    Post subject: Inflatable Reply with quote

Did you get the Wave? What do you think of it?
John
Swee Pea
LesR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I got the Wave 310 Aero from Defender. We like it so far after a couple trial runs. I'll update our use of it on the "Intuition to Alaska" thread once we use it more.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Dinghys All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: