HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Truck / trailer storage while cruising.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coach07

City/Region: Osprey
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:23 am    Post subject: Truck / trailer storage while cruising. Reply with quote

Karen and I are new C Dory owners and are looking forward to cruising our local waters as well as distant locations. How do you locate places to store your tow vehicle / trailers without too much cost for your adventures? What I see locally on the west coast of Florida is that most public ramps don't allow overnight parking and private ramps charge a lot if you're looking at a longer cruise. Any advice?
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, this is a problem with trailerable boats. You just have to search the area you want to cruise and try to find a solution. Sometimes postings on this and other websites can help.

It usually involves a local search of the area you want to cruise and some phone calls. I have found places in my area that allow trailer and truck parking for free (up to two weeks), some places that charge $10/night, and others that do not allow overnight parking at all.
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol is right, parking your vehicle is a problem. We take 3 routes to a solution.

1. Find a launch ramp that allows free parking. This has worked for us in such places as Blaine, Wa and Orillia, Ontario as well as Port Alberni, BC. Obviously, Canadians are friendly.

2. Find a relative/friend/acquaintance who will let you park in their home. We've done this in Winona, Mn as well as LA, Ca.

3. Find a storage yard and pay the rent. We've done this in Rio Vista, Ca. Worked well once and questionable once.

Note that these places need not be at the start or finish of your trip. We've taken the bus back, rented a car to return to the trailer and even had a fellow cruiser drive us back.

Boris
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read the C Brats every day--there will be a lot of information. For example Ed Stone Park off Hwy 44 at the St. John's River has long term parking on the grass by HWY 44.
The Ramp is free, over 9 years no one has had a problem with security. The Sherrif seems to patrol on a regular basis, since this is a county park.

Ask for local information from people who have cruised the area or live there.
Also do searches: Type site: c-Brats and what you are searching for.
"
Here in Pensacola, I suggest the Pensacola Shipyard and Marina, in that they have a security guard, and it is safe parking. It is $5 launch which includes a day parking. For long term trailer parking is $65. I believe that $5 a day for short term parking--until you are at the $65.

There are also free ramps--generally pretty safe, but better with a security guard!!

Also The Hull Truth has a Florida section, and there are people there in almost every town in FL.

Same for cruising destinations etc.

Be sure and go to the Hontoon St. John's River gathering in early March each year.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coach,

I assume you mean non-panhandle West FL if Osprey is near Sarasota. Here’s a Nov 2020 thread with some info:

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?p=349437

Anclote River park limit is 10 days rig parking.

We used Laishley ramp and Crystal Cay storage (and Lyft) as Molly Brown advised for our 6 week winter cruise to Pink Shell Resort and Marina.

Burnt Store Marina advised rig storage at Burnt Store storage.

Punta Rassa ramp, FMB is very nice (avoid weekends) and allows 3 days rig parking.

https://www.leegov.com/parks/boat%20ramps/puntarassa

For your next South Florida Loop adventure, Indiantown marina has ramp and rig storage, see bottom of page for rig parking rates…

http://www.indiantownmarina.com/p/6/rates

We have not yet used the Sarasota ramp James on Molly Brown advised, but his advice is ALWAYS spot-on.

Before embarking on a 6 week cruise on a new to you boat, we’d advise some 3-day adventures. Rig parking logistics will be MUCH easier. It’s not a ‘problem’, it’s just another part of the adventure! Experience while actually doing short cruises on your new to you boat will enhance your ability to determine how you guys like to do longer cruises.

Hope this is helpful!
John

Coach07

City/Region: Osprey
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2021 12:22 pm    Post subject: rig storage while cruising Reply with quote

Thank you for the thoughtful replies. There are lots of moving parts for all of us. Cat boarding for two nice cats is another one of ours. Fly on!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: