Easier entry to V berth on CD-25

View previous topic :: View next topic  
joc1212

City/Region: OAK HARBOR
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Last Time ll
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:55 pm    Post subject: Easier entry to V berth on CD-25 Reply with quote

We have both had hip replacements and find getting into the V berth an issue.
Has anyone opened up the bulkhead to make the v berth easier to enter and depart?
Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve seen a few pictures and I believe a recent video posted on the C-Dory group featured one that had been cut out. If I didn’t have 3+ years of napping kids ahead of me I’d do it!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try entering head first and sleep with the head to the bow. Easier in and out, and a much better view of the boat from there. JMHO.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Blue Rose

City/Region: Montgomery
State or Province: MN
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Blue Rose
Photos: Blue Rose
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Instead of just cutting the bulkhead out below the shelf to open up the berth area, we removed the shelf too. I have never seen the bulkhead and shelf removed on a 25 but don't see why it wouldn't work like it does on our 22.

Filling in the middle with a new cushion makes a one big bed instead of 2 skinny ones. We sleep feet to the bow and think this is the best mod we have made to the boat. (We can easily put the bulkhead and shelf back in with 4 bolts if we ever want to.)
Jim

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: Easier entry to V berth on CD-25 Reply with quote

joc1212 wrote:
We have both had hip replacements and find getting into the V berth an issue.
Has anyone opened up the bulkhead to make the v berth easier to enter and depart?
Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Check with Pat and Patty Anderson. I believe they removed their bulkhead.

Edit: http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album146&id=IMGP0755&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Thataway C Dory 25 has the entire port side bulkhead removed. it does make v Berth entry easier.

Here is a photo taken mostly to show the fan / light and remote control for it, from the port side berth looking aft. In this case we have the boat packed and on a trip. I put the throwable cushion over some other gear, which extends the bunk pillow area.

Since Marie likes to sit in the aft dinette seat, we leave the forward seat facing aft all of the time. In our Tom Cat 255 (which comes without bulkhead), we had a cushion made for the foot well, which extended the bunk area.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Gene&Mary

City/Region: Seattle/Center Island
Vessel Name: Linnea
Photos: Linnea
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best mods I ever did.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like the segregation of the berth from the cabin by keeping the bulkhead intact. It also is easier to keep the berth darker for sleeping and is more private.

Admiral says it makes the berth "cozy".

Perhaps if we had mobility issues we'd think differently.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
keeping the bulkhead intact

Better to call it a "partition" since that "wall" is not structural at all (although it does support the shelf in a minor and inconsequential way).

To each his own, of course. I love that fact that this partition is mostly removed on my CD25. Not just for the "crawl in, crawl out" issues either. I find it convenient when throwing duffle bags, sleeping bags, life jackets, tools bag, etc up there.....as is done endlessly (on my boat at least).

journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I thought that bulkhead had structural value. The shelf is pop riveted at the top, but there are lag screws along the bottom. It has to give the hull some stiffness. I'd be interested what led smecan(Tosca) to make that statement.

I do agree that the original opening makes it hard to get in and out of the berth, at least for me; a sign of old age I suppose. So, I cut a larger hole, but did not remove as much as Bob did, in the picture above. Makes it a lot easier to get in/out and still leaves some structural stiffness.

Boris
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'd be interested what led smecan(Tosca) to make that statement.

Likely because I don't know what I'm talking about..... Wink Laughing

Seriously, I am no expert that's for sure, but when I hear "bulkhead", I imagine a vital structural element without which the hull would have its integrity seriously compromised. I suppose that's too strict a definition.

My reason for mentioning it is that my boat has a big chunk of that "partition" cut out (but not all, and not as much as Dr Bob's either), and I just wanted the OP to know that cutting into that partition isn't a scary thing that compromises the boat. For all I know it does compromise the boat, but that's not my take on it. For one thing, even after you increase the access to the V-berth, you will still have much of that partition in place.....(again in my judgement) plenty to support the shelf, and enough on both the starboard and port sides to maintain most of whatever stiffness the full partition gave the hull. (Note the factory partition not exist along the center of the cabin sole, and is therefore not attached to that vital part of the hull.)

Clearly, YMMV. In my case, I don't think my boat suffered any from removing that chunk......and I love the access.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure when removed most of the partition to the left of the helm, but Scott Boysen, who was C-Dory factory manager under the Lindhout ownership, who would have known if it created a structural issue, was not the least bit concerned about it. He actually help smooth out my cuts and put the trim on! We have cruised thousands and thousands of miles (5,428 miles on our 2017 Great Loop alone) with the partition modification, and AFAIK, we have suffered no ill effects! It has been incredibly better getting in and out of the vee-berth compared to the way it was with the factory entry to the vee-berth. We consider it the best modification we ever made to Daydream.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those who call it a partition are more accurate than those (myself included ) who call it a bulkhead. A structural bulkhead would have been tabbed in. In fact, this partition floats with no structural attachment to the hull.

A proper bulkhead would have been tabbed in with fiberglass mat, tape and polyester resin to the side of the boat. The part which is structural, is the V berth platform and the area where there is a floor in the center of the V berth. This floor and the V berth platform are only tabbed in at the aft end, and along the sides of the hull. They do give some support and rigidity. I have seen boats which have been abused, where the tabbing had broken loose from the V Berth platform.

It does not show well in the photos, but the wooden block the fan is attracted to, is epoxied to the hull and there is support for the "Dashboard" or what you want to call it in front of the navigators' seat. That is not really structural, but does give support to the hull.,

Why the lag screws--no idea--I have seen a number of them loose, worked with time.

Conclusion no structural support. My thought is if you want cozy or privacy, then you can put a cloth curtain there. I enjoy the extra length and there is less "footsie" with our partner at night...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cabin, Interior All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: