The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Advice on changing 13 inch rims to 14 in on tandem Easy Load

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
itiming

City/Region: Iron River
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Obsession
Photos: Obsession
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Advice on changing 13 inch rims to 14 in on tandem Easy Load Reply with quote

Have an Easy Loader tandem axle trailer with 13 in rims. Running Hercules ST175/80R13 load range C tires. Would like to move to 14 inch rims and run Goodyear Endurance ST205/75R14 load range D tires (matching other trailers I own). This would provide 620 lb more capacity per tire. Has anyone any advice for modifying the fenders to provide enough clearance? Any other issues I should be aware of?

This 4000 lb capacity trailer holds my C-Dory 22, which would be close to this capacity when loaded for fishing/cruising. The 13 in load range C tires offer 1200 lb maximum load ea, so 4800 lb tire capacity total--not much margin, esp w a flat. The 14 in load range D tires offer 1820 lb max load per tire, or 7280 lb total--much more comfortable safety margin.

Thanks for any advice.

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2021 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a EZ loader twin axel trailer model TEZB 19-22/24 & run the Goodyear Indurance 205 75 14 D tires. With the CD22, that trailer & those tires give me the weight leeway you would like to have. If they will fit your trailer it would really help on the tire aspect weight concern.

Jay

jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mines the same as Jay’s I don’t think you can do anything other than change the rims and tires. Maybe a call to Ezloader.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call Pacific trailer and buy fenders from them, then mod your trailer to fir the Pacific fenders, then you can use the fenders to stand on when getting on and off the boat when it is on the trailer.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tires are the size your looking at they measure 26” diameter and I have 2-1/2” to 3” of Clearance. The way the fenders are mounted on the Easy loader I don’t think you will have to do anything to switch them. Just check the diameter of what you have now against mine.
itiming

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks much for your posts. My trailer is an EZ Loader TEZR 17 - 20/22, so smaller than those supplied with the 14 in wheels.

EZ Loader's web site lists fenders like mine for 13 in wheels. they also show larger sized fenders. I sent them a request to see if the larger fenders are available/can be fitted.

If no solution from EZ Loader, then the next step would be as Harvey recommends--fitting on metal fenders.

I estimate 4 galvanized wheels would cost $300 and 2 steel fenders $250. Tires, I'll need to replace, sooner or later.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2021 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I replaced my 13" wheels with 15" wheels, mainly because I wanted to add disc brakes. I also didn't go with "trailer" tires because I was able to find hi-load vehicle tires that were plenty for my CD 16. My issue was getting everything to fit under the stock fenders. I thought that the cost of replacement fenders (and the time to replace) wasn't required if I found a wheel/tire combination that could fit. IIRC, it required fairly low aspect 15" tires that were skinnier than normal and 15" rims with a 4.5" width instead of the standard 5".

That required what are often called "gasser" rims. Think 15x4.5 rims used on the front end of a hot-rodded 1948 Ford. Not particularly good for braking or cornering on a street vehicle, but okay for a trailer. Although the wheels were expensive, it saved me from buying and installing new wider fenders, so it all worked out. Plus, rough-cast aluminum wheels with stainless steel nuts don't rust because of saltwater.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
itiming

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decided to test 14 inch tire/wheel clearance, by lifting original 13 inch fenders with 2.5 inch wood blocks. Pict is rear fender.

Here is pict of front fender installed on the lift blocks:

Used some old spare tires to test the lifted fenders for 14 inch tire clearance. Clearance equal to or above that of the original 13 inch tires.

However, sidewall clearance is a negative number. Fender extends to outer edge of tread, but sidewall extends past fender. I could slide the fender outward a bit, but did not want to decrease clearance on the inside.

Planning to upgrade the wheels/tires to 14 Goodyear Endurance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: