The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

304 vs 316 ss for railings and fittings

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject: 304 vs 316 ss for railings and fittings Reply with quote

I am going to make a cargo roof rack and radar mount for hammerhead. I have lots of 304 ss tubing and fittings that I was planning to use, but after doing a quick test and dunking in salt water the tubing and fitting got small amounts of surface rust after only one day. I was surprised by this, because I see that lots of marine deck cleats and various fittings are offered in 304ss. The rust is just on the surface, and came off easily with just a scotch brite pad.

Is there a way to polish/ wax the railings so they do not rust, or do I need to use 316 material? Thanks!

tsturm

City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use 316 & no issues 304 if mirror polished is ok but will not last as long. Thumbs Up
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've have had what you describe happen to me before because I used steel tools to make the bend. Or because it simply put the stainless part in the vice to hold it while I welded on it. Cleaning it up really made a difference in my case. But, I have since switched to making everything out of 5052 aluminum since it is easier for me to work with and doesn't really corrode at all.
tsturm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.R. Bauer wrote:
I've have had what you describe happen to me before because I used steel tools to make the bend. Or because it simply put the stainless part in the vice to hold it while I welded on it. Cleaning it up really made a difference in my case. But, I have since switched to making everything out of 5052 aluminum since it is easier for me to work with and doesn't really corrode at all.

5086 is better for salt water Thumbs Up
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:
T.R. Bauer wrote:

5086 is better for salt water Thumbs Up

Thanks for the tip. My TIG stuff will never see that kind of salt - bike and truck stuff Smile
clayhubler

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alu is much easier to work... I've never welded 5086. How does it compare to 6061? If I remember right 5086 will bend okay too.
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:36 pm    Post subject: Aluminum & Stainless Reply with quote

Clay, 316-L stainless is the best choice for marine applications. The "L" stands for low carbon and is difficult to locate. If you can find low hydrogen filler wire when TIG welding the railings, it will be porous free and buff up to match the base metal. Then, if you really want to prevent rust and dulling of the finished weldment prior to installation, have it "passivated" at a plating shop. If you decide to use aluminum, look for tubing that has not been tempered. It is more ductile and will yield to the bending without cracking not to mention easier to weld. Post a photo of your work when completed.
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayhubler wrote:
Alu is much easier to work... How does it compare to 6061? If I remember right 5086 will bend okay too.

I've been TIG welding aluminum for a really long time and have never really noticed a big difference welding any of it. However, I have never welded 5086, at least I don't think I have, but all 5000 series alloy is supposed to weld about the same - as it all 6000 series alloy. 5086 is considered plate and a bit hard to get which is why I never use it. I have no first hand experience, but it's also more prone to cracking so the real pros say. But don't get me wrong, I have heard it is great stuff - lots of boats have it on the bottom. The front though, where all the bends are, is usually 5052 - as are the railings, at least I think.....probably depends on who is making them. I love aluminum welding, but I am certainly not a pro by any means - thrown so much of it away over the years.....lol....
clayhubler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I know I'm not going to bother having it passivated so I think I'm going to try to source some 5052. I'm thinking it will probably be cheaper than the ss also. I'll post some pics when it's done. Will probably be in a couple months tho.

I've actually only made one project from aluminum, which was a hand railing. I am much more comfortable welding ss. Does alu pull and warp as badly when welding?
tsturm

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayhubler wrote:
Thanks guys, I know I'm not going to bother having it passivated so I think I'm going to try to source some 5052. I'm thinking it will probably be cheaper than the ss also. I'll post some pics when it's done. Will probably be in a couple months tho.

I've actually only made one project from aluminum, which was a hand railing. I am much more comfortable welding ss. Does alu pull and warp as badly when welding?

The extruded stuff will be 6061(tubing, angle etc.) it all welds the same & will be just perfect!! If your welding sheets it pulls & warps like everything else Thumbs Up
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's right about the tubing being 6061, but if all they have is 6063, it is very similar stuff. And he's right about it warping. You can control that with patience and technique with TIG. With MIG it will be a bit harder since you can't control amps dynamically, but if you only weld a couple inches at a time, let it cool, and don't cook the workpiece, it will not warp very much - if at all. I do that with TIG also when welding sheet and it comes out good. Also, it really helps to use 1/4 of 3/16 as a base instead of 1/8. But, again, I am not a pro - just a hobby for me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Cockpit and Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: