View previous topic :: View next topic  
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:17 pm    Post subject: Hello, I'm...... Reply with quote

We have been open for business on our new site for just over a month now, and we have nearly 200 members already. A lot of the names are familiar, and some of the names are different than the names used on the MSN site, but we know who you are. Then there are a whole bunch of folks I don't recognize by their site names. It would be neat if we could get to know everyone better, and telling us just a little about yourselves would help that along. Like, say for instance, I know there is a member who has a new CD19 (not the guy who just sold his), and because of someone pointing them out to me, I even know their boat name and the general area where they use their boat. That is some pretty grand info to have, and it shouldn't be limited to just a few lucky folks who have figured it out. (I also know, from my reliable source, that these people are very good folks, so they will understand the friendliness with which I pick on them!)

When the first C-Brat site made its mark on the WWW, and for a good part of its duration, Red Fox and I would check the member list everyday and post a personal welcome to each of the people who signed on. Then we suddenly became the only functional (never dysfunctional!) C-Dory owners group in the world, and within a few days had welcomed over 100 new members. They were welcomed, of course, but not with a personal message because neither one of us could type that fast. Still can't. Same thing happens here. I use two fingers to type, plus on good days, my thumb on the space bar, and I have to look up at the screen every few words to see what I said. So, one or two welcomes a week is about all I'm good for, and since it wouldn't be fair to leave so many out, I just haven't been doing it. Of course, it wouldn't hurt Bill to help out there - I don't think he has to look at his fingers when he types.

So: A sincere welcome to every one of you, and to all who will be clamoring to join once they read this. That is genuine - we are delighted to see every new name that gets added to the member list. And, if you are so inclined, we would be equally delighted to hear a little from and about you. No need to be bashful around here. We call it the Pub for a reason, and we like it that way!

Looking forward to meeting you all,

Mike

Last edited by TyBoo on Wed Dec 03, 2003 1:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Josh

City/Region: LaCenter (Vanc-PDX area)
State or Province: WA
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well - I guess I'll start it off-
My name's Josh & I have a young family - a wonderful wife (Julie), 4-year old daughter (Kaylie), 3-year old son (Kamron), and 1-year old daughter (Kiera). I'm new to the site for I think almost a month now & have been visiting multiple times daily. I'm not yet a C-Dory owner - I'm currently looking for a 16' Cruiser to start off with. I would go 22', however I know that I my little Dodge D50 pickup couldn't pull the 22, and since I can't swing both a new boat & new pickup, I'll start small & work my way up with time.
Anyhow, we live outside LaCenter, WA (about 1/2 hour NE of Vancouver, WA) & are really looking forward to our first C-Dory... we just need to find the right one.
All of you seem like a great bunch of folks & I really enjoy the site - it's a great community! Thumbs Up
Thanks a million to everyone who has already made me feel like part of the group - especially since I've yet to prove myself one of you!!! Wink

Josh
Helen O

City/Region: Cathlamet
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Helen O'
Photos: Helen O'
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the group, Josh. No need to prove anything here. You're already one of us, all that's required is to see something you like in the c-dory. You wouldn't be here if that hadn't happened.
I hear it doesn't take much to pull a 22' c-dory. That Dodge might be able to handle it.

AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well,
I guess I'll post an official type howdy from the land of the midnight sun. Or, as it's known this time of year, the big black hole. Anyway, greetings from Wasilla, Alaska.
I just aquired my first power boat, a 16' Angler. I should have lots of time getting to know her this summer. I'll spend most of my time cruising the local lakes before I venture too far out into the deep blue though. PW Sound can get nasty quick...
So, a little about me... I am a college student studying Civil Engineering at UAA. (GO SEAWOLVES!!) And I just quit my job of 7-1/2 years (OK, a "non-traditional" student) to pursue an engineering internship.
Is that smart? Buy a boat and then immeadiatly quit my job... The Mrs isn't too happy, but she understands (for now... I think Crook ).
Anyway, funny story about the new boat already. My wife was talking to her mother about the "cute little boat" we just got. Mom asks what kind it is. Wife says "I don't think you've ever heard of it- it's a C-Dory". Mom says "Really, like the one parked up on the highway that we almost bought?" Smile
Turns out that they were seriously looking at buying it and one day it just disappeared... Small world I guess. Wink

So, hello from Alaska. I look forward to getting to know you all.

89CD16A- The Navicula has been sold...
AK Angler

City/Region: South Central
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Rod Holder
Photos: Rod Holder
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I'm not too good at introductions... Embarassed

My name is Rod.
Nice to meet you.
Otter-BelleHavenMarina

City/Region: Alexandria
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2001
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Otter
Photos: Otter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy folks. Mike, a big part of what makes this site so great and the C-Dory community in general is the great welcome you and others provide. Hats off to you, my friend.

Like Josh, we have young 'uns, Grace (6) and Claire (3). When we got our 22' Cruiser in May 2001, Claire was just one, and my wife Kathy and I weren't sure the kids would really enjoy the boat until they were older. We were wrong: they loved it from their first outing. Part of this I attribute to Kathy's handling of the two of them (especially little Claire) while I handled the boat. For that first season, Claire had to be on Kathy's lap or within arms reach, which kept our outings a bit shorter than they have now become. But another part of it I attribute to the C-Dory's qualities. When I first started thinking about a boat, I was looking at open center console boats like Mako, Maritime Skiff, and RIBs like Avon and Zodiac. Kathy thoughtfully reminded me that I had a family, and did I really want a boat that I couldn't enjoy with kids until they were old enough to brave a lot of sun, rain, and spray?

The girls love to climb up into the berth with their stuffed animals and coloring books, close the privacy curtain, and play for hours (with the instruction to call them if we see something really amazing while underway). They tend to fall asleep easily up there, especially on our way back from an adventure, so they aren't exhausted and cranky when we get home. I also love the high freeboard in the cockpit. The girls have to wear live jackets when they are back there, but I don't have to worry that a wake or cross sea will toss them out of the boat.

So Josh, show this post to Julie, get that boat, and start making family memories that you and your kids will always treasure!

All the best,

Les Lampman
Dealer

City/Region: Whidbey Island
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all y'all... Hug

Welcome! It's sure nice to read about everyone, where they live and about their C-Dory's.

Don't worry about not having a C-Dory yet; shoot, they let me in here and I don't own one either Wink .

Just give a holler if you ever need anything...you won't believe the response!!! Shocked And jump in with questions, comments or just general chatter...we love it all. Thumbs Up

www.marinautboats.com
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello my name is Ken and I'm a C-Doryaholic.
Migrated to the S.W. WA area from N.E. OR where a canoe would cover most of the boating and fishing chores. We've lived in these parts for about 14 yrs. For years I longed to get back to the dry side of the N.W. but then reality hit me upside the head, I'm here, I might as well get used to it. That revelation started the downward spiral into the boat abyss that eventually led to the purchase of a well equipped, near new, used Blue~C.
We've had the boat for about two years now and discovered it's much more than just a boat. This craft is a vacation cabin for M and I to use to explore new water in the Sound, or, a fishing shack for the kid and I to hole up in during salmon season. Perhaps the biggest boat buying bonus was the way these funky, clunky boats bring people together. We've met more new friends (and some friends we haven't met) because of the boat and related internet nuttiness.
Spousal unit and I are just working stiffs with a high school kid who's hobbies include eating and more eating.
If anybody wants to buy an old canoe, I have one for sale here in LaCenter....We don't need it anymore

pugetsounder

City/Region: Edmonds
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Haileigh's Comet
Photos: Haileigh's Comet
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, this has been fun to read so I thought I'd join in. We own a 27 C-dory which is currently sitting at Les's shop waiting for it's new motor. We started with a 22 Classic (aka Little Buddy). Our family consists of Don, Deb, Haileigh (11), usually one of Haileigh's friends and a Aussie named Sydney. We use the boat mainly to go to our cabin on Hat Island and to cruise Puget Sound and the San Juans. Some day when we get a new tow rig we will visit other areas you all have shared with us over the C-Dory sites. Lake Powell is top on our list. The group of friends that we have met through this site is awesome. We look forward to seeing you all this year and all your new boats. Deb Love
C-Hawk

City/Region: Carpinteria / Channel Islands
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: C-Hawk
Photos: C-Hawk
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK OK Time for So Cal to weigh in here---
I'm known as Fishtales- I'm a 2002 22' cruiser with twin Honda 40's, my owners are Roger and PJ. They still work full time and can't take me out as often as I would like for them to. Another of my concerns is that motorhome they have-- it makes me jealous when they go away in the motorhome and don't take me along. But I really enjoy it when they take me out to the Channel Islands, just off the coast here in California or to Catalina Island- I just love it when they get together with some of my Brothers and Sisters at the Isthmus in August. I am lucky to have some other C-Dorys to visit with at the landing where I am stored, but I do wish I could go home with my owners more often. They keep me at Channel Islands Harbor and they live in Carpinteria, Ca-- a whole 30 miles away!
Anyway, I hope to meet more of you sometime, maybe you could come out and go fishing with Roger- he knows a few good holes to fish.

See Ya

KJ6VVB
A Brat I am, At sea I be
God is Great, Beer is Good.... and People are Crazy
Levity

City/Region: Shippensburg
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Levity
Photos: Levity
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello to all.
Levity is the name of my new C-Dory 22 cruiser. Just brought it home a couple weeks ago. Making the decision to purchase a C-Dory was easy due to the informative postings from the C-Dory owners on this site. I thank you for sharing your experiences so that those of us who follow in your wake can benefit from yourknowledge. I learned real world stuff from you folks such as: a tandem trailer was desirable if you need to tow a lot. I learned that cockpit flooring saves you from standing in a puddle. I learned that a C-Dory is indeed a comfortable, reliable, no frills, honest boat. Thanks again.
My home in Central PA. is a two hour tow to the nearest big water. I intend to cruise and daytrip on the Chesapeake and on a fairly large lake two hours west. My wife agrees to join me but I must be careful to keep the trips pleasant and comfortable if she is going to be a repeat customer.
My son (22) loves to travel and is looking for adventure. I have always loved boats and after a 30 year wait I finally have one of my own.
Levity's Michael
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At last years Seattle Boat Show my friends Pat and Patti of the future (Daydream) asked me if Kate and I would like to go to the show,,,just to look! Sounded like fun to us. I had a 16 foot Starcraft that I was having a great time with in the San Juans at the time.

Pat had done some research on the C-Dory and so we were actually headed in their direction at the show. Looked, liked, talked, and then walked around the show to give the numbers a little time to register. (Pat and I are two of the owners of a small micro Beer brewery) So I asked Pat, aka DA Prez., if we could put my wife on the payroll for just a little a month, since she was already doing the books for free and this would justify the added payment. Done deal he said.

So we went back to C-Dory and BOTH bought one. As it turned out, the same color too.

So the Anna Leigh came to be. Named after our 8 year old and only (at the time) granddaughter. We keep her (the boat) in the garage on Guemes Island, WA. where we spend about half the week. She is cabernet trimmed, twin Honda 40s, Garmin 188C/ Icom Marine/ Icom 2 meter ham/ and recently I added a full camper. With the Wallas stove this boat can go anytime of the year and often does.

A bonus to having a really great boat is having met some really great people that for the most part also have C-Dory's, or wish they did.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51

Last edited by Alyssa Jean on Sat Jan 03, 2004 9:55 am; edited 1 time in total
R-Matey

City/Region: Bow
Vessel Name: R-Matey
Photos: R-Matey
PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2003 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! We'd like to introduce ourselves. We (Joe & Ruth) live in Bellingham, work in Marysville and we are the very happy owners of the R-Matey, a 2003 19' CD Angler. She's our second CD, the first being a 1985 22'. Working keeps us busy but since buying the R-Matey from Les at EQ last spring, we've managed to get her out a few times. We'll be seeing you at the 2004 SBS. Joe needs a radar and a radio so for once it will be his turn to do the shopping. Thanks for this great CD site. Enjoy it immensley.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Joe & Ruth! We (Pat & Patty) do MOST of our boating out of Birch Bay, launching at either Blaine or Squalicum Harbor - maybe we can hook up some sunny day for a little cruise!

R-Matey wrote:
Hello! We'd like to introduce ourselves. We (Joe & Ruth) live in Bellingham, work in Marysville and we are the very happy owners of the R-Matey, a 2003 19' CD Angler. She's our second CD, the first being a 1985 22'. Working keeps us busy but since buying the R-Matey from Les at EQ last spring, we've managed to get her out a few times. We'll be seeing you at the 2004 SBS. Joe needs a radar and a radio so for once it will be his turn to do the shopping. Thanks for this great CD site. Enjoy it immensley.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2003 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, we are Pat & Patty Anderson (& Austin, age 12), our boat is Daydream, a 2003 22' cruiser with twin 40 hp Hondas. David on Anna Leigh told part of our story (the part about how we both bought our boats at the 2003 SBS). For us, it started out like this. We always have had some kind of little boat for crabbing at our place in Birch Bay, just south of the Canadian border in Whatcom County, Washington. In September 2001, we swamped our 13' Feathercraft (another whole story), and it was not a pretty sight. So we went to the 2002 Tacoma Boat Show and bought a brand new 16' Smoker Craft with a 50 hp Yamaha, console, pedestal seats, windshield, canvas top - and we loved it, 2002 was our "summer of boating fun" (little did we know!). This was the year 1 B.C. (Before C-Dory). I kept telling Patty I wanted to go across the Straight of Georgia to Patos Island (which we see out our living room window at Birch Bay), she kept saying it is too far, the boat is too small, blah, blah. blah. Our last day out in September 2002, we put our crab pots down, and she says "OK, lets go to Patos." So off we go, no problem. We cruise in to Active Cove on Patos, beach the boat, have a ball - Austin says "This is my Happy Place!" There is this boat anchored in Active Cove, my eye keeps going back to it, Patty says "Wow, that is really a GREAT looking little boat, I love that cabin." We circle it on the way out, and see it is a C-Dory. What the heck is a C-Dory? On to the Internet, and the C-Dory site and the C-DOG site (I think Brock remembers my posts as a C-Dory wannabe). I am hooked, there is no other boat that I even THINK about, but I know it is out of reach, and after all, we have this brand new little aluminum boat, which is a great little boat, even if you can't cook or sleep on it...Anyway, cut to the chase, we go to the 2003 Seattle Boat Show with our friends David and Kate (David and I are, as he said, the co-owners of a microbrewery in Snoqualmie, WA) JUST TO LOOK! I had to swear a blood oath we were just going to look. We head straight to the C-Dorys, Patty crawls under, over, around Jim and Laurie's Laurna Jo, sits at the dinette, stands at the galley. lies down in the vee birth. Then she says "Well, lets just go over and see what the deal is." Stick a fork in her, she is done, I am holding my breath. We choose the options, Scott Reynolds writes up the sheet. Then Patty starts negotiating with Scott. Patty says "OK, I need to see some money coming off that price." (David and I probably would have just signed the paper and written the down payment) Scott says "Take out your checkbook." He does and she does. Back and forth. I did not buy this boat, Patty did. The last money off was the "two-fer" discount if we and David and Kate both bought a boat. The deal was sealed when Scott threw in the stern seat option for both boats at no extra cost. Our boats were scheduled for May delivery, but in February we got a call from the factory - two dealer orders for boats with our trim color (cabernet) had cancelled, our delivery date was moved up. We took delivery of Daydream on February 14, 2003, Valentine's Day - we cannot think of a better Valentine present. First time wet, the very next day in Lake Washington. And we have kept on all through 2003, which has truly been our Year of Boating Fun, with all our new friends who now seem like comfortable old friends! There has not been a month since we took delivery without a cruise, with one planned for December as well. Daydream is named for the yacht of Sir Percy Blakeney - the Scarlet Pimpernel ("And if you would care to look over there, me yacht the Daydream awaits to carry me and my men safely back to England"). The flowers next to the name are NOT roses, they are scarlet pimpernels, which is "nothing but a humble English country flower." A double meaning, Daydreaming is the state of mind I am in thinking about our NEXT cruise!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: