LesR

City/Region: St. Louis
State or Province: MO
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Intuition
Photos: Intuition
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate the recommendations and personal anecdotes!

Here's where we're at right now:
Dinghy motor - I bit the bullet and ordered a Torqeedo 1103. I think this will encourage us to get off the "big" boat and explore more than we would if my own energy were the main limitation, in addition to the safely considerations.

I'm planning routes and destinations using the Waggoner (BC) and Douglass (AK) guides. I just received the FineEdge Inside Passage Route Planning Maps, along with the 2021 Ports and Passes.

Other odd items:
While it doesn't sound as if anyone would really enforce the current requirement, I decided to make sure I was entirely legal and received an FCC Ships Station License. I already have a restricted Radiotelephone Operator Permit from way back in the 20th century when I started Private Pilot training. Also received my Washington Aquatic Invasive Species Permit.

I called CBSA this week and talked with a supervisor. Her latest information referenced incidents on the Welland Canal, which didn't seem entirely relevant to our plans. She was helpful and reviewed the current information on the travel.gc.ca site. She agreed with the information that has been shared previously - travel directly, don't stop for optional reasons, provide a list of planned stops when checking in, and call CBSA if you must stop at a location not on the planned list. I'll call again before we leave St. Louis to ensure no new constraints.

Our current plan is to depart St. Louis on or about the first of June, so that we can be in the water by the second week of June.

Thanks again for the encouragement - this has been a bucket-list adventure since we bought our boat 11 years ago. We've tried to remind ourselves that each chilly, wet trip has been training for Alaska.

Les and Kel Rohlf
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One last thing: Post Pictures

Boris
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 9:29 pm    Post subject: ! Reply with quote

Here is the photo album of Daydream's and Anna Leigh's 2006 cruise from Blaine to Ketchikan. The highlight on the trip up was probably the Ivory Island Lighhouse and our visit with Brent and Sylvia Hacking, the lightkeepers! For anyone planning a cruise to Alaska, this might be interesting!

You might recognize this image from the random images you see when you log in to C-Brats, this is Daydream at Sullivan Bay!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW,

I arrived in Ketchikan yesterday, after 15 days doing the "Transit through Canadian waters". Traveled at 7-8 knots, lost three days to waiting for weather.

Following their rules, it's not too tough. Bring enough food for the duration, and your written transit plan to give to CBSA when you check into BC. Get the ArriveCAN app and fill it out with your information. For an address of where you will quarantine, use the addr of the marina where you check in. Check-in at Port of Sidney took maybe 15 minutes once the CBSA got to my boat. No negative COVID test reqd.

Don't make sightseeing detours, don't raft up with any other boat, don't go ashore, and no fishing. Anchor every night - you may not stay in a marina. Stop for fuel and water if you need to, but indicate where you may refuel in your plan along with planned anchorages (which you do not need to follow exactly). Do not plan on refueling in small native communities like Klemtu and Hartley Bay - they are closed to outsiders. Not sure about Bella Bella, but Shearwater is nearby.

If for some reason you have to go to shore other than where you indicated possible refueling in your plan, contact the authorities.

Would have been more fun with fishing, shore excursions, etc, but what the heck - I'm in Alaska. Check-in to AK was super easy too. No COVID hoops to jump through at all. Wear masks when appropriate is it.

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard, great attitude from the start on how to make your way to Alaska happen. You found the way through the bureaucracy, when many said it couldn’t be done, so sure good to see your plans work out & come to fruition. Here’s wishing you a wonderful Alaska summer.

Jay

LesR

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2021 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard,
Glad to hear things have gone smoothly with your transit. Thanks for sharing the results of your research and coordination. Hopefully we'll see you at some point later this summer.

Les and Kel Rohlf
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear that you made in north without problems, but I hope that you can have a little fun in Canadian waters on the southern journey.

Stay Safe

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great to hear you made it, safely and legitimently. You are heroes🙂. Always admire folks who can figure out how to make it work when others might throw in the towel. Ken
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed May 12, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, Richard!

I was just flipping through my photo album and thinking, our cruise in 2006 was a piece of cake, no covid, no issues transiting Canada, but we did have one challenging day! It was called "The Hike from Hell," and it was in Meyers Chuck on June 19, 2006.

Dave Olson and his son Allan were my crew on Daydream. Dave's brother died in Meyer's Chuck skating on thin ice. His skates were hung in a tree by the place where he died. Dave's sister-in-law Nancy, who lives in Meyers Chuck, was going to guide us to the spot. She promptly got lost and we decided to follow the pipeline up, but it was rough going. We got to the lake but never did find the skates. The look on Patty's face kind of sums it all up...

LesR

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're on our way toward the PNW. Left St. Louis early yesterday and are spending this evening at the Walmart in Evanston, WY. We hope to arrive and launch the boat at Everett on Monday.

In addition to notes in this thread, Kel and I will be adding updates via her blog: https://souldare.com/intuition-diaries/. Kel's the more accomplished and prolific writer - she's made a couple entries for our planning/prep phase.

Les
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. St. Louis, Missouri to Evanston, Wyoming is 1237 miles. That was a long day towing a 25 Cruiser. Good job!

Looks like you will be storing your rig while you are up there at Tom and Susan's secure storage lot?

oldguy83

City/Region: minnesota
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I read it I believe its two days travel.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it! Your right. They still made some good time in travel in two days Thumbs Up
LesR

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today we made it to Baker City, OR - we're staying at the Mt View RV Park. I figured we needed a shower before entering Washington tomorrow.

We stayed in North Platte, NE on Friday and Evanston last night. Certainly healthy driving days, given that I generally don't tow faster than about 60 mph. The weather has been nearly perfect, and we haven't had any mechanical issues to slow us.

Yes, we're leaving the boat at Tom and Susan's. We have a slip reserved at Everett the nights of 6/7 and 6/8. My current plan involves taking two days to get to Roche Harbor, then heading from there to Sidney on Friday, 6/11. All dates are weather-dependent, of course. The SlowBoat team just led a group up to Alaska and they also checked in at Sidney, so this shouldn't be a "new thing" for them.

My thought is to go to Anacortes Wednesday and Roche Harbor Thursday. Tom suggested topping off with gas at Blakely, rather than Roche, as it's usually cheaper there.

I'm open to any suggestions for the best route from Everett to Sidney or other intermediate stops other than Anacortes.

Les
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les, do you have AIS on board? Either full Class be transponder or a receive only via VHF maybe?

Well, you would have gotten a shower, maybe still will, once you get into WA, at least on the west side.

Hope your travels tomorrow are smooth. If you like great Mexican food, stop at El Porton, Exit 52, Zilla on I-82. Across from the Chevron, for cheap gas and great food.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16

Jump to: