Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best pic from our 2006 cruise, aerial photo for Motorboating Magazine by Neil Rabinowitz!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
[i]

Now, transiting BC to Alaska, that is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. i can't say what is allowed and what is not, but as i understand it, you CANNOT stop for fuel, and if you can't stop for fuel, how are you going to get from Blaine to Ketchikan?

As Canada's web site makes clear, and as I and a friend have verified in two separate calls to CBSA, you CAN stop for fuel. The operative section is "Transit through Canadian waters". Expand the links within it.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/travel-restrictions/border

When you submit your transit plan to CBSA, include your probable/potential anchorages and fuel stops. After your initial check-in, when you anchor overnight, or stop for fuel at a place you have identified in your plan, you do not need to contact Canadian authorities again.

And, unlike the information on Waggoner's website, you do not need to make each day a marathon of long hours cruising - just take a fairly direct route, without wandering around sightseeing.

Cindy Sea (CD 22 Cruiser, from 1991 to 1998)
"Cruising in a Big Way"
doc

City/Region: Auke Bay
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Bella Rey
Photos: C-Alaska
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Alaska Series are great little boats and row ok as long as there isn't much wind or current. It can be a pretty a frightening experience to be getting blown away from your boat out in the middle of the wilderness though. A reliable little motor, emphasis on reliable is a good idea. I had a 2.2 hp Yamaha that I had for about 10 years and accumulated maybe an hour run time between failure and fixes. I understand that they've made some improvements and I have friends saying they are working well for them.

My understanding on the border situation is that it's still closed, land or sea. The Mounties were asking Canadians in port towns to report any Americans they might see in Marinas. We've been trying to get a friends boat through since last spring and doesn't look like it will happen this year either. There have been some larger boats making it here but I assume they are going off shore until in Alaska water.

NewMoon

City/Region: Holladay
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: Cindy Sea
Photos: Cindy Sea
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doc wrote:
My understanding on the border situation is that it's still closed, land or sea. The Mounties were asking Canadians in port towns to report any Americans they might see in Marinas. We've been trying to get a friends boat through since last spring and doesn't look like it will happen this year either. There have been some larger boats making it here but I assume they are going off shore until in Alaska water.

Read the website section "Transit through Canadian waters".

You may not stop in a marina, except for fuel/water/essentials, but if you check in with CBSA and provide your plan, travel directly and anchor every night, and follow the rules, a US boat may go from one part of the US to another - WA to AK - through BC waters. Several have already done so in recent weeks.
doc

City/Region: Auke Bay
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Bella Rey
Photos: C-Alaska
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Cindy Sea, I'll look things over again.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New moon thank you for posting the real rules and not the ongoing speculation and fear of the " it can't be done " crowd.

Quote:
contrary to Tom Elliott's contention, Blaine is a GREAT jumping off point for the San Juans and points north.
Not if the wind is blowing , which it always is . Or you want to go faster than hull speed. Now I will give pat a pass that if you are going to the NORTH END of the san juans and the WIND is not blowing ( it always is) then It might be a ok location to launch. Now that has nothing to do with the ramp and location. Its a ok two lane ramp with a lot of parking but it is also out of the way and not well seen from any road or from the main part of the marine , say like everett is. We used it for our trip to powell river. launch was great but the marina was not welcoming to over nighter in my opinion. The location boxes you in to crossing big open water with no opinion of a inside more shelter route like the gulf islands. Would I use it again? maybe if I had time to wait on weather. and to be clear it's not really the amount of wind but the direction 90% of the time will put the wind on your side. We were not happy with that part of the trip on the way back. could have ran the inside of the gulf islands and then to friday harbor in less time then going back to blaine.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dinghy's- I do not like the flat bottom dinghies as they do not row very well at all. We have had several types over the years and much prefer boats with a blow up ridged floor and a blow up keel. They row far easier and track straight. it works so well that we stopped using a out board with it. Just not needed if the row is less then a mile. If we dont have the dog I like to use kayaks instead. Easy to get on and off the boat. paddles far better then any dinghy. Allows you to explore a lot more and farther then you would in a dinghy with out the noise and trouble of a gas motor. We have two old loon kayaks with large openings so carrying supplies is always an option but there are a lot of great cheap kayaks out there that would do the job.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not recommending this strategy, but just outlining my experience. So far it has worked for me.

I really don't want the "extra" responsibility of a dinghy engine. I also want to carry any dinghy I might have on the cabin roof top.....which means I want to be able relatively easily to launch the dinghy and to retrieve it from/to the cabin roof by myself. This has lead me to continue to use a smallish, relatively light, 2 person dinghy that I must row. I figure that my C-Dory is so shallow draft, and so easy to maneuver in tight places, and so easy to pull up anchor and reset it (with a windlass), that I can just motor over to the area I want to visit with the "big" boat; and then launch the dinghy to row around (love not having the noise too). I can see larger, draft-ier boats being reluctant to do that, but I find it easy in a CD25.

P.S. I did get in trouble once in Provost Harbor on Stuart with this technique. I allowed myself to row too far and had to return against a wind. I got into a place of safety, but still had to row a 1/2 mile or so back to the mother ship. Just when this 70+ year old was mustering up the will power to make the crossing, I got lucky. StarcraftTom was moored up near my boat and observantly noticed my predicament. He came to my rescue and towed me home......thanks again Tom!!!

LesR

City/Region: St. Louis
State or Province: MO
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Intuition
Photos: Intuition
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a Native 14.5' tandem kayak that we've taken on other trips:
https://nativewatercraft.com/product/ultimate-14-5-tandem/
We like it for all the reasons Tom just described.

While I have not (yet) ended up in the water when entering or exiting the kayak from the boat, it is much less stable during entry/exit than the inflatable dinghy. While I'd love to have both "boats" with me, the dinghy seems the safer option in colder waters.

Les
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ll be following your trip. We have the same boat almost exactly. We have a 2hp Honda that is a little bulky, you can find them used for 4-600$. Using our Honda 9.9 on a dingy especially our Alaskan is a nightmare pipe dream. I would look at a light electric motor with a separate 12v battery that can be used as a backup as well. Cheaper and more practical then a torpedo as nice as those look? Maybe there is a better LI version of this https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/motomaster-nautilus-battery-pack-800-a-0111592p.0111592.html?gclid=Cj0KCQjw4ImEBhDFARIsAGOTMj8XL022lhDZ57DA59g60KfFrynFmaet-7MNM8Yyn5YrY02cthSMJTMaApYyEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds#store=369

I think you will be able to transit but plan to get a Covid test and results 2 days before you leave, may or may not be a requirement at the time, but no one has a crystal ball. I would keep my plan direct with only stops for fuel and ask the boarder agent at the time of crossing if walks on shore when refueling will be allowed or not. Hopefully things will be better on your way home for travellers to explore but they won’t be on your way north.

One accessory I would bring would be a flexfold combo prawn and crab trap or better yet two.

Have a wicked trip, I was showing my 4 year old Alaska on Google earth this morning in bed. Keep us dreaming.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to consider taking an inflatable kayak/canoe instead of a dingy if you don't want to carry a motor. We normally have our Seaward Mantra 13 foot kayaks with us, but we have also carried a Sevylor Colorado with us.

https://www.amazon.ca/Sevylor-Coleman-ColoradoTM-2-Person-Fishing/dp/B00J0S0JGS

It does not paddle as well as the hard kayaks, but it is easy to get up and down on the boat, it can be rolled up its bag and is much easier to paddle with kayak paddles in the wind than a dingy with oars. The only flaw I have with this boat is that it is difficult to get it really hard inflated and when soft it is harder to paddle. There are other brands and models that might be better than this.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here is a copy and paste of the links New Moon posted, so it appears you can transit Canadian waters to cruise from the lower 48 to Alaska, although it is not entirely clear to me what this all means. I guess you pay your money and take your chances!

Transit through Canadian waters
You currently cannot enter Canadian waters for optional reasons, such as:
touring
sightseeing
pleasure fishing
You may still navigate through international or Canadian waters while in transit directly from one place outside Canada to another place outside Canada, if the transit is:

direct
continuous/uninterrupted
by the most reasonable route
While in transit to your destination
You may only make essential stops along the way, including to use facilities, refuel or for essential supplies.

If you must stop to re-fuel or re-stock essential items, your first stop must be at a marine site designated for Canada Border Services Agency reporting.

You must:

report immediately when you anchor in Canadian waters or come to port
follow all instructions provided by the border services or quarantine officer
quarantine on your vessel and make arrangements for contactless re-fuelling and re-stocking of essential items with the marina operator
follow physical distancing practices and wear a mask during these stops
Anchoring and quarantine requirements
You may stop and anchor out of your planned navigation, particularly if it becomes dangerous to navigate at night or if the crew must rest before safely continuing your trip.

If you anchor to spend the night, you must quarantine on your vessel or boat.

If this is not possible, you may quarantine at a hotel until you are ready to resume your trip.

If your first stop in Canada is at place that is not a Canada Border Services Agency designated marine site (in case of bad weather conditions), you must report immediately to the local Royal Canadian Mounted Police office.

For more information on reporting and border clearance, consult the fact sheet.

Fact sheet: Reporting requirements for private boaters

Mandatory quarantine

Reporting requirement if you land on Canadian soil
The operator of the transiting vessel must report to the Canada Border Services Agency if:

the transiting vessel lands on Canadian soil at any point
the transiting vessel anchors, moors or comes alongside another vessel in Canadian waters
anyone onboard disembarks in Canada
For more information on reporting and border clearance, consult the fact sheet.

Fact sheet: Reporting requirements for private boaters

You may not land for an optional reason, such as:

touring
sightseeing
pleasure fishing
The Canada Border Services Agency and its law enforcement partners are actively monitoring Canadian waterways. If you fail to report, even if your purpose is non-discretionary (non-optional) such as to refuel, you may face severe penalties.

Failure to report may also affect your immigration admissibility and ability to re-enter Canada in the future.
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
Dinghy's- I do not like the flat bottom dinghies as they do not row very well at all. We have had several types over the years and much prefer boats with a blow up ridged floor and a blow up keel. They row far easier and track straight. it works so well that we stopped using a out board with it. Just not needed if the row is less then a mile. If we dont have the dog I like to use kayaks instead. Easy to get on and off the boat. paddles far better then any dinghy. Allows you to explore a lot more and farther then you would in a dinghy with out the noise and trouble of a gas motor. We have two old loon kayaks with large openings so carrying supplies is always an option but there are a lot of great cheap kayaks out there that would do the job.

Amazing - something we agree on (although you are completely wrong about Blaine, ever since we have had a C-Dory - since 2003 - we have always launched in Blaine, and I would rather deal with the Strait of Georgia than Bellingham Bay any day of the week). We loved (and still love) our Sea Eagle FT-385 12' inflatable kayak. It has a skeg that keeps it paddling straight and true. It was a great "dinghy" for our 2017 Great Loop. It was very easy to get on and off Daydream's roof, and we did it multiple times per day for eight months. Baxter approved!

starcrafttom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
we have always launched in Blaine, and I would rather deal with the Strait of Georgia than Bellingham Bay any day of the week)

Well pat that there is the problem. You are picking a " bad but better" option over a " far worse option"

What was the line from the movie Argo? This is the best worst idea we have.? That sums up Bellingham and Blaine. This is why I offer boat and truck storage at my house when I can. You pick the launch and I will launch you if available and drive your rig to my house. Come get you at the end of the summer. Just not enough affordable choices for long term , 3 month storage, any more.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I got lucky. StarcraftTom was moored up near my boat and observantly noticed my predicament. He came to my rescue and towed me home......thanks again Tom!!!

No problem, you would do it for me... hell even pat would do it for me... maybe...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Grand Adventures All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 2 of 16

Jump to: