The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New way to get rid of mussels at Lake Powell

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:54 am    Post subject: New way to get rid of mussels at Lake Powell Reply with quote

Not sure if any of you have seen this post yet, new way to clean your boat of mussles at Lake Powell:
[b]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLTwVMhwD5k
Bob Jarrard[/i]
bobjarrard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:37 am    Post subject: Rats, our tool bar to enhance text do not work for me! Reply with quote

Here is a clean link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLTwVMhwD5k
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Rats, our tool bar to enhance text do not work for me! Reply with quote

bobjarrard wrote:
Here is a clean link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLTwVMhwD5k

That's all well and good as long it is available to boaters at the times boaters are likely to use it. At Lake Mead there is a boat cleaning facility near Boulder Marina that is supposed to rid your boat of muscles. I have hardly ever seen it actually open though.
bobjarrard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:41 pm    Post subject: Clean bottom is our personal responsibility Reply with quote

I agree that it is frustrating when the government does not do the job we had hoped for but Lake Mead is my lake, not theirs, and so a clean boat is my job which they may or may not help out with along the way. You can buy a small gasoline driven pressure washer with a propane water heater, add some biocide and do the job yourself. I see boats like trout, you gotta clean them before you can enjoy them!! No snarky thought here, just trying to be less of a cranky old man (which I am) and instead go to the light and in most cases right side of things. I am with Kennedy, what can I do for my country vs XXXXXXXXXXXX!!
If you get to Boulder City and Lake Mead, call us up and we can share a cup and hang out.
Bob Jarrard 714 686-2728
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do these hot water pressure washers do on ablative bottom paint? I just spent the past week prepping C-Traveler, removing the old stuff that wasn't done very well, and putting on several coats of the Hydrocoat. Came out pretty nice, and I don't think I'll be hitting it too hard with my own pressure washer. Just watched the video. Interesting "bath" system. But again, I wonder how it will affect bottom paints? Colby
bobjarrard

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:39 pm    Post subject: Most often Reply with quote

Here at Lake Mead and at many fresh water locations the boats getting powerwashed are not bottom painted. The hard paints that are not ablative work much better, you can bottom clean off the softer paints early as I learned the hard way on my first sailboat. What I see them kick about on inspection is anything wet, even dead mussles that are attached, standing water, and if the boat has not been of the water fro 7-10 days, especially if it has not been hot or hot and dry. They check anchors, chain, and rope rode, outdrives, outboards, anchor lockers, fish holds, thruough holes, low swim steps, dinks, live wells, and anything else seems like it could host the little shell rats. Some folks shut off their through hole valves, especially if they are hull side. At some of the stations it seems that hot not pressure is the goal with the wash down. Also, sometimes they give your trailer a real once over and I have seen inspection tags/one time use ties used like on semitrucks. I too have seen the inspection station at Powell not open and the same at Mead but then I have seen a line of boats also. Hope this all helps. Thanks for caring. Bob Jarrard
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read on the hard paints, they need to be left in the water to work. Something about the paint oxidizing if it's left out in the air for long... I trailer my boat, but then it also spends up to a month at a time in the water. Last year I launched and retrieved at Halls Crossing during the week. There was no inspection at that time. I think they were just inspecting on the weekends. Colby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Hull, Deck and Fittings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: