The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Centering boat on trailer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Pat, no reason you cannot use side bunks with a roller trailer. The bunks just guide the boat in place. The side bunks can be fairly low, and they can hold the boat in place.

I agree that you cannot put much pressure on the guide poles, even if they have heavy square tubing.

Bob, I am thinking of getting these guide bunks with the optional extra long u-bolts to fit my trailer. Do you think they would help solve my centering issue, and if so, where where should I mount them? There are also these longer ones, about five feet long, but they would not clear the fenders on my trailer. I suppose I could get a seven foot board and carpet it myself. also with the optional extra long u-bolts. Would that be a better plan?

Thanks!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My trailer is a King with wobble rollers and 2x6 guide bunks mounted on either side.

I replaced the wood (rotten) and carpet and reinstalled them. They keep the boat from pivoting too much in those times when wind and current wrestle the boat off-center.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, the short boards are going to be stressed if the full weight of the boat comes on them--especially if too far. You want two attachment points to the trailer frame. Also consider that the aft end of the boat is often still flowing when you get the bow to the pedestal/stop. So you want them a ways up the side of the hull. I think that they are most conveniently located from just forward of the fenders aft. You want them to guide the boat down to its center point, as the boat is pulled out of the water. It is possible to use a roller trailer to winch the boat most of the way up--and not dunk the trailer so deep into the water...
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, and all, I am leaning toward the longer guide bunks, the ones with two attachment points, but replacing the five foot bunks, which would not clear the fenders, with a seven foot board, with one end forward and one end aft of the fenders. I would leave the ill-placed goal posts, first, because they are sort of a general guide to look at while loading the boat, and second, because short of grinding the nuts off, as Mark has pointed out, there is no other way to removed them. In case you did not look at them, these are the ones I am looking at, with the optional long u-bolts to fit my trailer frame. I would buy two seven foot 2x6s and carpet them. I just want to know what you think about this idea, if perhaps they are too light duty for a CD 25.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,
If I were spending your $$$, I would buy the parts from Pacific Trailer. They are heavy gauge steel and hot dipped galvanized coated. I have this product on my trimaran trailer and also had a similar product on my C-Dory 22's Ez-Loader, galvanized roller trailer. Worked like a champ...
https://www.pacifictrailers.com/collections/guides-side-load-guides/products/boat-trailer-guides-kit-5-bunk-boards

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Sea Skipper

City/Region: Bend, Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Sea Skipper
Photos: Sea Skipper
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pat (Daydream)

My previous boat was the 2005 C-Dory 25 "Sea Skipper" built just after your boat and outfitted at EQ Harbor. I also had centering problems on the trailer. The solution was to install short angled guides on the end of the trailer. See picture #73 in the Sea Skipper album:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Sea-Skipper&id=Trailer_Rear_Centering_Guides&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

These guides were made from pressure treated 4x8 beams, band sawed to shape and carpeted. (wood was selected and laid out to maximize strength of the grain) As the boat and trailer are pulled up the ramp, the aft end of the boat settles down and is gently guided to the correct position. Works perfectly. I use this same system on my present boat "Alpine Mist" a Rosborough 246.

Hank Brooks

"Sea Skipper"
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Skipper wrote:
The solution was to install short angled guides on the end of the trailer. See picture #73 in the Sea Skipper album:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=Sea-Skipper&id=Trailer_Rear_Centering_Guides&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

These guides were made from pressure treated 4x8 beams, band sawed to shape and carpeted. (wood was selected and laid out to maximize strength of the grain) As the boat and trailer are pulled up the ramp, the aft end of the boat settles down and is gently guided to the correct position. Works perfectly. I use this same system on my present boat "Alpine Mist" a Rosborough 246.

Hank Brooks

This looks like an ideal solution -- thanks for sharing!
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srbaum wrote:
Pat,
If I were spending your $$$, I would buy the parts from Pacific Trailer. They are heavy gauge steel and hot dipped galvanized coated. I have this product on my trimaran trailer and also had a similar product on my C-Dory 22's Ez-Loader, galvanized roller trailer. Worked like a champ...
https://www.pacifictrailers.com/collections/guides-side-load-guides/products/boat-trailer-guides-kit-5-bunk-boards

Good advice - but the light duty ones shown in the link would not do the job per Sergio at Pacific Trailers. I called, and Sergio talked me through the info he needs, which I have provided to him. I am waiting for him to respond, but it is the heavy duty load guides, the load guide bases, the long stainless u-bolts, and the trailer frame u-bolt strap that I need I think.
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea Skipper wrote:
Hi Pat (Daydream)

The solution was to install short angled guides on the end of the trailer.

As the boat and trailer are pulled up the ramp, the aft end of the boat settles down and is gently guided to the correct position. Works perfectly.
Hank Brooks

Thanks, Hank. It looks like you also have the side guide bunks, were they not sufficient by themselves to center the boat? I don't have the skill to build your short guides or to attach them, I suppose I could use the short roller guides, but I will try the side load guides first I think!
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, the guys at Pacific Trailer are good and know their stuff. I would be confident they would steer you right.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Sea Skipper

City/Region: Bend, Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Sea Skipper
Photos: Sea Skipper
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

Yes I have heavy duty side guides on my boat trailers. They do a good job of roughly centering the boat on the trailer especially if your trying to haul out in side currents or winds. But, they still allow the boat to tilt off slightly to one side or the other. The long side guides also makes sure that the boat doesn't rest on top of one or the other shorter guides.

The shorter closely fit guides at the end of the trailer guarantees that the boat is perfectly centered. The shorter guides need to be fit reasonably tight (1/4" gap) and conform to the lower hull profile to work properly. The closely fit centering guides can also be attached to the side guide posts if these posts are close to the end of the trailer.

Hank Brooks
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
Pat, the guys at Pacific Trailer are good and know their stuff. I would be confident they would steer you right.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Harvey, and all, yesterday I pulled the trigger on Pacific Trailers' heavy duty side guides. This is not a kit but assembled from the individual components. Sergio in parts walked me through what I need. Some of the parts were not in stock but I made the purchase and they will ship when they have it all in stock. Really looking forward to getting the side guides installed! There will be photos!
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
There are also these longer ones, about five feet long, but they would not clear the fenders on my trailer. I suppose I could get a seven foot board and carpet it myself. also with the optional extra long u-bolts. Would that be a better plan?

Thanks![/color][/size]

Pat ours are like those longer ones. I could measure them but the definitely clear the fenders. I replaced the wood and carpet a couple of years ago. Not difficult. If you have a staple gun and the proper sized S/S staples it’s just a matter of good marine bunk carpet and a razor type box cutter.

That kit looks strong. He may have told you, but I’d install them with the boat on the trailer and centered. Best way to fine tune the installation.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, You will be happy with those Pacific side bunks. If the is anything I can do to help, let me know.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Nancy and Bud

City/Region: Nashville
State or Province: IL
Vessel Name: Emma Mae
Photos: Emma Mae
PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

Please post photos of install. Thanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: