The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Centering boat on trailer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srbaum wrote:
DaninPA,
My trailer has two sets of "goal post" and centering is absolute. The plus of these over what I had on my 22, is that I can wash and wax the boat, without them being in the way. On my 22, I had the longs carpet covered bunk board, mounter on two heavy gage galvaized steel post, similar to Wesley & Karen's boat. They performed admirably, but required removal for washing and waxing the boat.
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album2964&id=IMG_7591&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

Thanks for the reply.

That's interesting -- do the posts prevent the boat from drifting over the fenders?
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaninPA,
The post DO prevent the boat from drifting over the fenders. Additionally, the wooden boards, that is carpeted, inside of the fenders was replaced with 1/2” King Starboard, which also aids in centering.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
daninPA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srbaum wrote:
DaninPA,
The post DO prevent the boat from drifting over the fenders. Additionally, the wooden boards, that is carpeted, inside of the fenders was replaced with 1/2” King Starboard, which also aids in centering.

Good to know -- thanks!

Is there a picture in your album that shows how you mounted the King Starboard sheets?
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srbaum wrote:
DaninPA,

What kind of trailer so you have that has wooden boards inside the fenders? Our King Saltwater has nothing inside the fenders, with rollers rather than bunks, and our goal posts are only at the stern end and set too far out, I had been considering moving them in closer but the nuts are pretty rusted and I don't have a proper socket for my DeWalt impact wrench yet! I have hit them with PB Blaster multiple times with no results.

Yesterday afternoon was about the worst retrieval we have ever had except the one in the gale at Lake Powell. No way could we get it centered yesterday, and one side is sitting on the fender. We towed her home (less than five miles) and will see if we can jack her up and manually center.

I could go with a second set of goal posts just off the widest part and move the stern goal posts in to where the widest part would just pass through. If you could take some photos of your trailer with the boat off it, that would be very helpful.

Thanks!

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

daninPA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All these stories about not being perfectly centered is making me feel much, MUCH better.

Thank you!

Smile
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Magic Tilt trailer has the fenders closed on the inboard side. The inside face of the fender is covered with bunk carpeting. My 22 fits between the two fenders, although when pulling out I have to check that the boat is on the bunks and not sitting on top of one of the fenders. If it is, it just requires backing down until the back end floats and a push or a pull to get the boat back in the middle.
srbaum

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson,
My trailer is rigged like ssobol's, regarding the boat between the fenders. The plywood was swollen and the carpet on top of that made the fit of the boat too tight. I fixed it, by replacing the plywood with King Starboard, so now it glides between the fenders like butter.
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album3056&id=thumbnail_pC_eS4H4R_ewUwiSmy8Kjg&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
daninPA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

srbaum wrote:
Pat Anderson,
My trailer is rigged like ssobol's, regarding the boat between the fenders. The plywood was swollen and the carpet on top of that made the fit of the boat too tight. I fixed it, by replacing the plywood with King Starboard, so now it glides between the fenders like butter.
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album3056&id=thumbnail_pC_eS4H4R_ewUwiSmy8Kjg&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

That's interesting -- my roller trailer is setup that the fenders are never in contact with the hull (unless I'm WAY off).
srbaum

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaninPA,
My boat is no longer in contact with the King Starboard… it’s just there to aid in centering. It WAS in contact with the old set up, because the plywood was swollen, due to rot.
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daninPA and srbaum, I am guessing first that because you both have Ventures with a bit more pronounced vee compared to my standard flat bottom CD 25, centering is at least a bit easier. Also, it appears srbaum has bunks rather than rollers. I have rollers, and even when the boat is centered properly there is barely an inch between the boat and each fender.

I am thinking my solution is going to have to be a second set of goal posts mounted right at the widest spot, which I think is pretty much right abreast of the helm, mounted so the boat just clears them by an inch. I think I alsl need to get a proper socket for my impact wrench and move the goal posts at the stern in so they are the same distance apart as the new goal posts. This will not assure the boat is centered but will give us a better target on approach, and the real centering will be done by forward goal posts. Other than that, I don't know what else I could do.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, you'll probably never get those nuts off. Once they are rusted sufficiently, the "fuse" with the bolt; might as well be welded on. You can soak them with PB or Kroil until eternity. They'll never budge.

I just replaced a few brackets & nuts/bolts on our King. After 11+ years, they rusted heavily. I had to cut them all off with a disc on a die grinder. A Sawz-all would work too, assuming you have enough room. I didn't.

Like you, I have about 1" clearance (on each side) between the hull & the fenders. Our King is set up with bunks.

daninPA

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
daninPA and srbaum, I am guessing first that because you both have Ventures with a bit more pronounced vee compared to my standard flat bottom CD 25, centering is at least a bit easier. Also, it appears srbaum has bunks rather than rollers. I have rollers, and even when the boat is centered properly there is barely an inch between the boat and each fender.

I am thinking my solution is going to have to be a second set of goal posts mounted right at the widest spot, which I think is pretty much right abreast of the helm, mounted so the boat just clears them by an inch. I think I alsl need to get a proper socket for my impact wrench and move the goal posts at the stern in so they are the same distance apart as the new goal posts. This will not assure the boat is centered but will give us a better target on approach, and the real centering will be done by forward goal posts. Other than that, I don't know what else I could do.

Does this sound like a reasonable plan?

It does, but I'm still not understanding the advantages of posts over guide bunks -- posts will only constrain movement within certain angles -- bunks provide guidance along their entire length.

I can see the advantages of posts for visual alignment, but don't see how they are an improvement to guide bunks which are essentially continuous rails that prevent movement past a certain spot on the trailer.

I am obviously missing something or posts would not be sold and installed so frequently!
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daninPA wrote:

It does, but I'm still not understanding the advantages of posts over guide bunks -- posts will only constrain movement within certain angles -- bunks provide guidance along their entire length.

I can see the advantages of posts for visual alignment, but don't see how they are an improvement to guide bunks which are essentially continuous rails that prevent movement past a certain spot on the trailer.

I am obviously missing something or posts would not be sold and installed so frequently!

I don't think you are missing anything. I just don't see how I can use guide bunks on a roller trailer. If someone could explain that, and maybe provide a link to guide bunks that would work for me, I would order them in a hearbeat.
Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
Pat, you'll probably never get those nuts off. Once they are rusted sufficiently, the "fuse" with the bolt; might as well be welded on. You can soak them with PB or Kroil until eternity. They'll never budge.

I just replaced a few brackets & nuts/bolts on our King. After 11+ years, they rusted heavily. I had to cut them all off with a disc on a die grinder. A Sawz-all would work too, assuming you have enough room. I didn't.

Like you, I have about 1" clearance (on each side) between the hull & the fenders. Our King is set up with bunks.

Mark, I am reasonably confident you are right. With a trailer with bunks, aren't some kind of guide bunks an option for you? As far as room goes, I can cut the nuts off the u-bolts with the boat in the water, as we have a slip for the summer at Blaine Marina. But I am at a loss as to what to replace them with for centering guides.

So what is the centering solution for me? Any suggestions?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat, no reason you cannot use side bunks with a roller trailer. The bunks just guide the boat in place. The side bunks can be fairly low, and they can hold the boat in place.

I agree that you cannot put much pressure on the guide poles, even if they have heavy square tubing.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: