The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Centering boat on trailer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Boat_Trailer_Parts-sf-Guides.aspx

Mark, do you have these guides on your trailer?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2021 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

B~C wrote:
i figure to strap them on the guide bunks to act kind of like a fender to hold the boat off of the guide. I'll take them off once the boat is loaded and I should have an inch or so gap between the guides and the boat . Right now my boat is right up to the guide on the port side with about a 3" gap between guide and boat on the starboard side.
I was just thinking these things may not work, they'll be submerged and as i pull out,the boat may be set on the trailer before the pads contact the boat

Ken, thanks again for the idea as it worked like a champ for me. They solved a problem, I’ve occasionally had for the last 18 boating seasons. When off center & tight against either quide board, the chines could catch on the top of the board & pull the screws loose, sometimes not noticed till a ways down the road & even then for quite awhile not realizing what was causing the problem. It took awhile to figure out why the screws where pulling out of the quide board as most of the time it centered well & if not it would shortly after once moving on the road.

With the pad temporarily mounted on the inside of the board in near the widest part of the boat, when pulled in tight with the winch & the pads held tight with the Velcro, the boat positioned perfectly & they were easy & quick to put on & off.

Jay

Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
https://www.etrailer.com/dept-pg-Boat_Trailer_Parts-sf-Guides.aspx

OK, did some measurements yesterday afternoon, this won't work on a double axle King trailer without serious modification. The five foot board is too short, it takes about seven feet from end to end to clear the fenders, so would need a new board and carpet. Also and u-bolts are too small. Not sure whether the 21" height would be adequate either. Not impossible, but this unit as sold is not my answer. The general concept, however, is correct I think.
PNW_Wesley

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Zenith
Photos: Zenith
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wind is typically from the NW at our home ramp in Kalama. While retrieving the boat, the wind pushes it to the left side of the trailer. The boat would often come to rest with the chine line sitting on the bunk rail. The weight on the rail could cause the rail to pull away from its mounting screws.

I considered repositioning the bunk mounting posts to be above the trailer frame, but I was concerned about the potential for the boat’s bottom to rub on the U-bolts.

I purchased a second set of bunk rails, and mated them to the existing rails. The top of the bunk rails is now between the 2 chine lines, and the wind is no longer an issue.

Prior water toys:
15' Smoker Craft
14' SOAR Inflatable Kayak
18' Sea Ray
28' Bayliner
19' Smoker Craft
16' Duracraft
14' Starcraft
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a very helpful discussion, but yesterday I had to pull the boat out of the water before the impending storm.

I had to do it all solo and found the lack of help positively reduced the pressure and divided mind. I lined up the centerline with the hitch pedestal and drove the boat up onto the trailer. I left the engine in idle but forward, hopped onto the dock, scrambled down to the strap, connected it and started cranking until the tension was firm. Scrambled back into the boat, shut down and lifted the engine, climbed back down to the hand winch, and pulled it into the travel position. Maybe 5 minutes.

Like most hole-in-one, no one witnessed this tour de force.

As this will likely never happen again I wanted to document it
daninPA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone use these?

https://www.etrailer.com/Boat-Trailer-Parts/CE-Smith/CE27610.html
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2021 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My trailer came with these: https://www.etrailer.com/Boat-Trailer-Parts/CE-Smith/CE27648.html

They are fine except that the fenders tend to get hung up on them. But you can see where the end of the trailer is, even in very murky water (which we have quite a bit of).
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use my trailers primarily on salt water and the standard thin wall steel guides had relatively short lifes. They are no longer heavily galvanized like years ago and even though I always rinse the trailer after use, the interior walls of the newer steel guides rot from the inside out.
After my last set failed, I went with aluminum. They are thicker wall, then the steel guides and after 3 years, see no visible signs of corrosion.
I used my existing PVC pipes and mounting hardware.
Look at this on eBay
(2)- 1 1/2" Square 1/8" Thick Aluminum Boat Trailer Square Guide On Poles PAIR, sold by Sturdy Built, Trailer Parts.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/WEAAAOxy1klRbNhR/s-l200.jpg

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
Clewless

City/Region: Ashland
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: Clewless
Photos: Clewless
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I had to do it all solo and found the lack of help positively reduced the pressure and divided mind.

So we’ll said
Big Mac

City/Region: Chehalis
C-Dory Year: 2001
Vessel Name: Mary Ellen
Photos: Mary Ellen
PostPosted: Sat Jul 10, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: centering boat on trailer Reply with quote

If you look on the Mary Ellen photo album page one you will see a simple fix that has worked for me for many years.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Jul 11, 2021 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

srbaum wrote:
I use my trailers primarily on salt water and the standard thin wall steel guides had relatively short lifes. They are no longer heavily galvanized like years ago and even though I always rinse the trailer after use, the interior walls of the newer steel guides rot from the inside out.
After my last set failed, I went with aluminum. They are thicker wall, then the steel guides and after 3 years, see no visible signs of corrosion.
I used my existing PVC pipes and mounting hardware.
Look at this on eBay
(2)- 1 1/2" Square 1/8" Thick Aluminum Boat Trailer Square Guide On Poles PAIR, sold by Sturdy Built, Trailer Parts.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/WEAAAOxy1klRbNhR/s-l200.jpg

I think those would be ok on an aluminum trailer, but I would want them isolated on a steel trailer, especially if you are dunking into salt water.

My Pacific Trailer came with the side bunks. It is all galvanized steel, and those side posts are still rock solid. When I redid, (lowered), the bunks I put everything back together with lanolin on the bolts. They are still rust free.

My trailer is rarely ever dunked into fresh water.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Pat Anderson

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daninPA wrote:
Anyone use these?

It does not look like you got any responses to your question...I THINK with the extra long u-bolts these should work on my King Saltwater Trailer for guiding our CD25 on. The "goal posts" we have now are useless for sure. I would love to hear from anyone who has actually tried these and how they worked.
Missynme

City/Region: Snohomish
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Missy
Photos: Missy
PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2021 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used an 8” roller on the end of each bunk fastened with 1/2” galvanized lag bolt w/ washer. This self centers as I pull out of the ramp slowly. Great for single hand on steep deep ramps. I added a self stick felt on the boat to keep from rubbing if it is off to one side a bit. I spaced the roller about 1” clearance on each side. Weird that the felt has never fallen off and no one ever asks what it is for.
https://www.etrailer.com/Boat-Trailer-Parts/CE-Smith/CE29791.html
daninPA

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat Anderson wrote:
daninPA wrote:
Anyone use these?

It does not look like you got any responses to your question...I THINK with the extra long u-bolts these should work on my King Saltwater Trailer for guiding our CD25 on. The "goal posts" we have now are useless for sure. I would love to hear from anyone who has actually tried these and how they worked.

Not yet!

I'm not convinced of the utility or effectiveness of the goal posts (but am open to reconsider based on those with more experience!)

I center on the winch as my aiming point, with right-left aligned to the guide bunks (a bit like lining up the runway in a small aircraft using the numbers as the aim point, and the angle of the runway edges to determine alignment).

I'm considering these roller guides to keep the boat centered in a strong wind or current until I can winch it up tight enough that it's firmly on the rollers and centered.
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaninPA,
My trailer has two sets of "goal post" and centering is absolute. The plus of these over what I had on my 22, is that I can wash and wax the boat, without them being in the way. On my 22, I had the longs carpet covered bunk board, mounter on two heavy gage galvaized steel post, similar to Wesley & Karen's boat. They performed admirably, but required removal for washing and waxing the boat.
http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?full=1&set_albumName=album2964&id=IMG_7591&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: