The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

EZ-Loader Bunk Trailer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 9:00 pm    Post subject: EZ-Loader Bunk Trailer Reply with quote

I just recently purchased a used 2007 22 Cruiser and need some information on how the trailer should be set up. Currently, the trailer, a 2007 EZ-Loader Tandem axle bunk trailer, only has two bunks. Since I haven't figured out how to upload pictures here yet, I'll try to take this step by step.
- The bunks extend about 4" aft of the boats transom, and half the width of the bunk is under the trim tabs.
- The bunks are about 6" inside of the boats bottom chine.
- The bunks come forward to just about halfway between the cabin windshield and the front of the raised roof of the V-bert.
- There are no other rollers under the keel or other forms of support, except the bow stop roller.
- The tongue weight is about 400 lbs, so I believe I can move the boat aft to place the end of the bunks even with the edge of the transom, and still have enough tongue weight for safe trailering.
- I think I can also change the bow stop setup enough to match it to the boat with the boat moved aft. It's hard to explain the bowstop issue without pictures, so I'll just leave it at that for now.

I see two problems with the current trailer setup. The boat transom should be even with the back edge of the bunks. And it's a real bitch to center load the boat on the trailer. I'm thinking if I can get those two bunks moved outwards towards the inside of those bottom chines, it would help with centering. I also think I need to add some additional bunks closer to the center keel and perhaps add a roller or two closer to the front of the boat under the keel. Can I move the two bunks now outwards, or would this leave too much of the boats bottom unsupported? Has anyone else modified or added to a trailer like this, and any suggestions? Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject: Bow stop picture Reply with quote

Here is a picture of the bow stop:
As you can see, I need to move it back more than 4" due to the trailer frame. However, by angling the horizontal member down more (by changing bolt locations), and by removing the extension on the roller, that would require me to move the horizontal member up the post, thereby allowing me to move the post back more than I'm moving the boat back. Hopefully doing all that will allow enough room to tighten that post just aft of where the trailer frame comes together.
Here is a picture of underneath the boat.

And this is the back of the boat:

Last edited by colbysmith on Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:01 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sunbeam

City/Region: Out 'n' About
State or Province: Other
C-Dory Year: 2002
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Photos: Sunbeam
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't address your questions, since I'm just trying to figure trailer details out myself -- but I just wanted to say "Oh good, another current trailer thread!" I'll be reading along to see what I can learn.
Mike-CD22

City/Region: Manassas
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Brook C
Photos: Mike-CD22
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you are hurting anything by having the bunks extending past the transom.
Your trailer looks like you can't move the boat back any further...I may wrong.
You can move the bunks out towards the side, or not, it should not hurt the hull, but moving the bunks out will not help to center the boat while retrieving the boat at the ramp.
You need to add centering guides. There are many different designs, and solutions. I have seen a few on here. I am interested inb any ideas as well.

Mike
colbysmith

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I don't like about the bunks being behind the transom, is if I have the motor running and forget to raise the trim tabs, I'm not sure how they'd fair since half the bunks sit under them. (Nice feature, when the motor is shut off, the trim tabs automatically retract fully.) As for the bow stop, if you look close at my photo above, I think if I change the horizontal arm to almost level by relocating that one bolt, then I would need to raise the arm up on the post, thereby moving it forward. Remove the roller extension, and I think that might gain me enough space on the bow stop to move the base far enuf aft to still attach it properly to the trailer frame. I'd just relocate the wood bunks on the metal framing, except that the back of the framing already sticks out slightly from the wood as it is, with what must be tie down holes.
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the tongue weight is correct, I would consider taking a saw to the bunk.

Just like the old carpenter... I cut that board three times, and it's still too short.

OK, well measure carefully!

potter water

City/Region: Logan
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 1997
C-Dory Model: R-21 Tug
Vessel Name: Poopsy
Photos: Still C-razy
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My question is: Is anything really broken? Why try to fix it if it isn't. Apparently the prior owner used the boat just fine as is on that trailer? Chances are the trailer and boat were set up by the dealer already and are the way they are for a reason.

Never let ignorance interfere with an opportunity to state a knowledgeable opinion

Testosterone Tales-Amazon.com

2006 C-Dory 22 Cruiser 2008-2014
1997 Ranger Tug 21 Classic 2016

KG7RC
mngrant

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: Kestrel
Photos: Kestrel
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colby,

Before making any modifications use the trailer a few times, load and off at the ramp. I would recommend in doing so you will get a feel for the trailer depth at the ramp for both directions. I think you'll find the trailer will work just as is.

I load with the boat, not floating on, and the two bunks center Kestrel just fine.

Mike
Matt Gurnsey
Dealer

City/Region: Port Orchard
Photos: Kitsap Marina
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ion't understand why EZ Loader only uses tw bunks on their trailers in the weight range, but they do.

Move the winch stand back past the point where the side frams join the tongue. that will move the boat back so that the bunks doen't hang past the hull.

You don't need any rollers on the keel. The bunks provide all the support. A cecond set of bunks would provide additional support, and with the C-Dory 22's weight, I would probably add them.

Loading a C-Dory can be challanging because there is nothing on the hull that will self center the boat on the bunks. Side load guides are your best bet, the style that are 5-8' long (5' on single axle, 8' on dual axle) with carpeted side boards. The goal post style of load guides are helpful in seeing where the trailer is, but may not be strong enough to provide side to side support to keep the boat in place. (although Pat Anderson installed a style that is very beefy that would work)

Hope this helps!

360-895-2193
(888) 293-7991
Chester

City/Region: home
Vessel Name: Sold to lovely couple
Photos: Chester
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt Gurnsey wrote:

Move the winch stand back past the point where the side frams join the tongue. that will move the boat back so that the bunks doen't hang past the hull.

This possibly could require the axle(s) to be moved back to maintain correct tongue weight.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Matt. I think you have the best understanding of what I am experiencing or trying to fix. I have started thinking about replacing those single guide posts with the side boards. I probably need to contact EZ Loader and see what information or assistance I can get for adding two more bunks.
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chester, there should still be enough tongue weight with moving the boat only 4" back. I still need to get some accurate weights, but judging by how it towed behind my Excursion, I think it would be ok with only that much movement aft. Colby
colbysmith

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike and Harry, while I haven't even used the boat yet here at home, I have a lot of trailering experience, and not just with boats. Just loading it the one time with the original owner after going for a sea trial, I think I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to face, as I will be doing a lot of trailering, and that means a lot of launching and loading. The previous owner kept the boat on a lift and winter storage, and I don't think used the trailer for launching and loading but twice a year. I've also learned that just because a dealer set it up, it might not be the best set up. ;-( Seems to me, the side boards are probably going to be the best way to make loading the boat easier. But I still have a concern of only two bunks under the hull, considering I will also be trailering long distances, and this is where the boat will be stored the majority of the time. I don't think the bunks should hang out behind the transom so far either, unless I move them inboard more so they are not under the trim tabs. Actually, if I put side boards on, I could probably move the bunks more inboard rather than outboard. And not worry about moving the boat at all. Just talking thru this, perhaps adding two bunks closer to the middle, and moving the existing bunks in slightly so they are not under the trim tabs, along with adding the side boards would be the best fix.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matt knows what he is doing with boat trailers. I would go with what he says. I would also add a second set of bunk boards under that boat. It will spread the load out on the hull, so less likely to deform there, it will provide a better ride for the boat, so less chance of damage from bouncing, and it will conform to my absolute rule, "If one will do the job, then 2 will do it safer" That goes for if you are nailing up a board or holding up your pants. Duplicit redoubled redundancy rules. Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

Just trying to get by, two steps at a time..

The side boards will help in centering. Be sure and check the bottom of your boat. Mine has a freshwater intake grill, that sits right at the edge of one of the bunk boards. Off centers the boat by about an inch and a half. Sad

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

My trailer after I replaced the bunks, carpet and winch and cable.

colbysmith

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Harvey for that photo. I think that is what I'm going to try to do with my trailer. The bunk and side board set up that is. I'll see if I can contact EZ-Loader about what parts I need. I've already got just the single side post set up. Maybe I can just add another post on each side forward to mount the boards on. Or I may need to get a complete kit. Colby P.s. BTW, that trailer in the background that your boat is on, looks a lot like the trailer I have. Just curious, how many boards were on it?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: