The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

The doubling of boat sales excise tax in the state of WA.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: The doubling of boat sales excise tax in the state of WA. Reply with quote

Not putting this here for debate. If you support please do If you dont please dont. But here is a link for washington state citizens to make their opinion heard.

https://www.nmta.net/legislative-advocacy/3826.asp?vvsrc=%2fcampaigns%2f83595%2frespond

localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will help small businesses. Certain people are so supportive of the “little guy”...
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would mean that the "Excise Tax" on boats would be 1% of the boat's fair market value paid each year. That would be in addition to the 8.5% sales tax (I used Callum County as an example) paid when you bought or brought the boat into the state.

For a $40,000 "fair market Value" C Dory 22, you would pay $400 a year "excise tax" and sales tax of $3400.

What is the boater getting out of this in the way of improved services or facilities?

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
That would mean that the "Excise Tax" on boats would be 1% of the boat's fair market value paid each year. That would be in addition to the 8.5% sales tax (I used Callum County as an example) paid when you bought or brought the boat into the state.

For a $40,000 "fair market Value" C Dory 22, you would pay $400 a year "excise tax" and sales tax of $3400.

What is the boater getting out of this in the way of improved services or facilities?

The new annual excise tax in WA is less than 1/4 of the annual personal property tax people pay on boats in VA. Maybe people in WA should quit while they are ahead.
robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
thataway wrote:

The new annual excise tax in WA is less than 1/4 of the annual personal property tax people pay on boats in VA. Maybe people in WA should quit while they are ahead.

Part of the problem with WA is they have never used "fair market" value for valuing property. When I look it up, my C-Dory is valued for taxes at about twice its real market value. There is no appeal system of this valuation like with a house. Earlier I had a motorhome that had a "fair market" value >$100,000, according to the state. I paid $49,995 for it brand new. This has been a continuing issue. They should use Kelly Blue Book or some equivalent. When I lived in Maryland, they assessed property at 1/2 of the market value. I don't know about Virginia, but if they actually use market value, the rates may not be 4x Washington State. If they assess like Maryland, the actual tax of an equivalent boat could be nearly identical.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this on the RBAW* website. Not the same thing but it shows they do have some presence in Washington State legislation.

* Recreational Boating Association of Washington

https://rbaw.org/Legislative-Issues

Quote:
ESSB 5251, modifying tax and revenue laws – a nice win for RBAW and NMTA: A quick note about this bill, which is mostly a very technical piece of legislation to codify in state statute a series of tax administration items and changes. However, buried in Sec. 14 of the bill was a provision noting that for purposes of use tax (sales tax) on vessels brought into Washington State, the local tax on the “place of first use” would be calculated not based on where the vessels entered the state but rather “where the property is primarily hangered, moored, garaged, or otherwise kept.” This had the very real potential to add about $18,000 of additional tax to a vessel valued at $1 million, and to shift that local tax from places like San Juan County to King County. We reached out to San Juan County officials, who in turn contacted Sen. Liz Lovelett (D-Anacortes/40th Dist.). After this came to light, the Department of Revenue recommended removing the Section 14 provision and Sen. Lovelett did so through this Floor Amendment: 5251-S AMS LOVE S1449.1.pdf (wa.gov) The bill then passed unanimously off the Senate Floor. It was a nice win for NMTA and RBAW officials who spotted this one, and San Juan County officials who put the wheels in motion with their contacting Sen. Lovelett.

Just filled in the form and sent it in to “OPPOSE” by all means.

There is also a link to copy to share the connection.

http://www.votervoice.net/Shares/B2P7QAuVACLaUAP2jAY7FAA

Interesting to note that the NMTA does not list the RBAW as a partner in their partnership list, but they do act in conjunction on some levels.

This is from the NMTA March 2021 Newsletter, “Waterlife”.
https://mailchi.mp/814332f8b1c0/nmta-waterlife-newsletter-march-2021

Quote:
“I would also like to share a few other wins scored by NMTA’s government affairs team. There was a movement afoot to introduce a luxury tax, which we have quelled. Also, Department of Revenue had requested a bill to raise taxes on boats. We beat that measure back, too.” From the President of the NMTA

Bob, Thanks for sharing those numbers. I just paid my current boat registration and It is nearly $200, plus the trailer license fee of $76. (And to think, the annual registration for a “personal” ¾ of a Million dollar helicopter is less than for my boat.)

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:30 am    Post subject: How many ways can you spell Nevada? Reply with quote

No sales tax on face to face used boat sales.
Credit on trade in value on a new boat sales in computing sales tax.
Very low license fees.
No exise or personal property tax.
Reasonalble property taxes.
Reasonalble property taxes on all RE.
No income tax.
No inheritance tax.
No snow where we live but a dusting once a year.
Come on in, the water is nice.
Bob Jarrard
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure Tom said not to debate this.....lol....
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It just gets weirder and weirder out there.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So not debatting but will address my real concern. Forget our cheap ass boats and the resale of 99% of used boats. that's just pocket change. I am worried about the boat and ship building industry here in the PNW. We have a resurgence of boat building her of large yachts and commercial ships in the north sound that employee a fair amount of people. And so do their suppliers. If you double the this tax on 100million purchase it makes that purchase more affordable other places. Yachts and ships in this size are not driven by the local economy. These are being shipped all over the world. So if its cheaper, even by 1%, then the buyer will order it from somewhere else. And those jobs will go else were. These are none collage working class liveable wage jobs that every one is always screaming we need and the party that screams the most is the party that is looking to drive those jobs out with this new tax. a tax during a time that the state has a surplus. We will take in more money this year then the budget needed IF we dont come up with new ways to spend it, which i what they are doing. What is a 1% increase on 100 million? Its not chump change. Well that is my main worry with this bill, Not the extra 400 i have to pay if and when I sell the 27. Please return to your regularly scheduled bickering ,,,,,
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Bob Jarrard

Bob you live in a desert? what water lol
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
Quote:
Bob Jarrard

Bob you live in a desert? what water lol

Lake Meade. Right there at Boulder City. Easy.
bobjarrard

City/Region: Boulder City
State or Province: NV
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject: Yup - eight minutes to the launch ramp Reply with quote

-- We live on the lake side of Boulder City, four minutes to the Park entrance, about 8 minutes to the main launch ramp and 10 minutes to the dam.
-- Go 18 minutes further south and you can launch into the Lake Mojave from Willow Beach.
-- Lake Mead is 250 square miles at full pool, 120 miles long & has 550 miles of shore line
-- Lake Mohave is another 41 square miles and 67 miles long - always full
-- We are five+ hours to the Pacific Ocean and about the same to Lake Powell
-- We have a swimming pool in the back yard
Bob Jarrard
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
So not debatting but will address my real concern. Forget our cheap ass boats and the resale of 99% of used boats. that's just pocket change. I am worried about the boat and ship building industry here in the PNW. We have a resurgence of boat building her of large yachts and commercial ships in the north sound that employee a fair amount of people. And so do their suppliers. If you double the this tax on 100million purchase it makes that purchase more affordable other places. Yachts and ships in this size are not driven by the local economy. These are being shipped all over the world. So if its cheaper, even by 1%, then the buyer will order it from somewhere else. And those jobs will go else were. These are none collage working class liveable wage jobs that every one is always screaming we need and the party that screams the most is the party that is looking to drive those jobs out with this new tax. a tax during a time that the state has a surplus. We will take in more money this year then the budget needed IF we dont come up with new ways to spend it, which i what they are doing. What is a 1% increase on 100 million? Its not chump change. Well that is my main worry with this bill, Not the extra 400 i have to pay if and when I sell the 27. Please return to your regularly scheduled bickering ,,,,,

But I bet the excise tax only applies to boats registered in the state of WA. Boats that are built there and delivered elsewhere probably don't pay the tax. Even boats that are delivered in WA may have a certain amount of time to get out of WA state waters before the tax kicks in. Boats and ships used for commercial purposes are also probably exempt because they are not a "luxury".
Desert Dory

City/Region: Tucson
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Year: 1989
Vessel Name: Desert Dory
Photos: Desert Dory
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: How many ways can you spell Nevada? Reply with quote

bobjarrard wrote:
No sales tax on face to face used boat sales.
Credit on trade in value on a new boat sales in computing sales tax.
Very low license fees.
No exise or personal property tax.
Reasonalble property taxes.
Reasonalble property taxes on all RE.
No income tax.
No inheritance tax.
No snow where we live but a dusting once a year.
Bob Jarrard

We're close to the same here in AZ.

No sales tax on face to face used boat sales. Yep
Credit on trade in value on a new boat sales in computing sales tax. Yep
Very low license fees. About $32 a year for the boat. Permanent Plate for the trailer was a one time fee of $130
No exise or personal property tax. Yep
Reasonalble property taxes. Yep
Reasonalble property taxes on all RE. Yep
No income tax. I wish!
No inheritance tax. Yep
No snow where we live but a dusting once a year. About half a dozen times in the 25 years we've been here.

I guess we make up for it in gas towing to decent water though. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: