View previous topic :: View next topic  
tparrent

City/Region: Apex
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tomfoolery
Photos: tparrent (TBD)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:04 pm    Post subject: TomCat transom tie down Reply with quote

Does the TomCat have transom bolts for trailer tie downs or do you have to strap across the cockpit?

Hopefully all of these questions that I should know the answers to will soon stop when the boat is at my backyard dock instead of two hours away!

Scheduled to have it hauled up to Vermont at the end of next week.

I put an offer on Lake Champlain waterfront but then withdrew the offer because I want a soil engineer to look at the land first. Was a bit spongy after three days of rain (plus a little snow just to keep things interesting)

Regardless, I have a primo spot in Burlington Harbor Marina for the season so I'm ready to do some serious boating. Even signed my son up for sailing and kayaking lessons.

Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
ricka

City/Region: Yreka
C-Dory Year: 2020
Photos: ricka
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:38 pm    Post subject: Tom Cat Tie downs Reply with quote

tparrent, We own a 2020 TomCat it does have rear transom tie down u bolts.
However with the way the tie down strap hits the fiberglass and the paint on the motor bracket we add carpet padding before we tighten it all up.
Hope this helps
Rick A

1976 ORION TRIHULL 15
1984 BOSTON WHALER 17 MONTAUK
1996 BOSTON WHALER 21 CONQUEST
2006 BOSTON WHALER 17 MONTAUK
Pacificcoast101

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are tie down bolts on the transom but each time we've had it towed they strapped across the Gunnel.
tparrent

City/Region: Apex
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Tomfoolery
Photos: tparrent (TBD)
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it looks like the U bolts are there but not in an ideal position. Do you typically put a strap across the cockpit as well?
Pacificcoast101

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only had it towed once, but the straps were across the cockpit as in the first two photos.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even boats with transom tie down (or towing) U bolts, I put a ratchet strap across the cockpit. The straps are cheap, they are easy to put on, and properly applied in front of the aft cleats, can keep the boat from riding forward in a panic stop.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
ricka

City/Region: Yreka
C-Dory Year: 2020
Photos: ricka
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have avoided doing the strap across the gunnel because we owned a Boston Whaler Montuak that we had strapped that way once. The strap caused really deep chaffing on the hull.
I am sure you could most likely find a way to protect it though.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you had chafing, then there was either an issue with the boat's gel coat, or the securing of the strap. I have done the strap across the gunnel for over 16 years with zero issues. We have done a lot of trailering--in the many thousands of miles in this period.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
I own but haven’t used a 10k rated big ratchet gunnel strap because it interferes so much with getting into the cabin from the aft ladder at stops. We’re getting something out of the cabin (including lunch) at most every stop. Boarding my TC255 from the wheel fender is very difficult (even 8 years ago, when I was not overdue for knee replacements). Did you drill holes in the trailer I-beam, or just catch the frame on the strap hooks? The bowstop bolts and attachment points seem much more robust than the aft cleats (although I agree every bit helps). Plus the front safety chain resists the boat riding up and over the bowstop in a crash.

Tom,
I use HD rachet transom straps with a rag or plastic protectors and replace about every 3 years due to UV exposure and chafe on the bracket lower chine, which is hard to prevent.

https://www.amazon.com/BoatBuckle-HD-Ratchet-Transom-Tie-Down/dp/B0767HVHD5/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=hd+ratchet+transom+strap&qid=1619214548&sr=8-2

Some additional free TC255 trailering notes where you get what you pay for…

The EOH brake pump (now on my second one) contains a control circuit that is most commonly ruined by water intrusion. Best solution is having it in a protected battery box like Bob. Can’t do that, but I use a Walmart plastic waste basket secured by battery box hold downs, which I hope blocks some of the rain, at 60MPH that’s almost hurricane strength blowby.

My 1,100 lb tongue weight is a lot for a 1,500# jack and was a real workout to use. We added an 8,000# Fulton jack that is slower, but much easier to crank.

Mount your spare tire on a spare hub. Carry a min 6,000lb floor jack, 2x4 support pieces, penetrating oil and a breaker bar for your tire tool.

Our winch strap would chafe going over the bowstop, so I added two 10k links to prevent that.

Before heading down the launch ramp, remove the safety chain and let out about two feet of winch strap. If the boat slides back, there is too much tension on the winch to release it. When the front of the front fender is 1-2 inches underwater is about right, or awash on really steep and deep ramps.

We trailer with the bimini Sunbrella removed and the frame secured to the rear. The frame is also secured to the railings with 75lb Ancor cable ties for extra stability. It is just barely possible to stash the whole frame inside the cabin, but not worth the effort, esp if you use the cabin as much as we do when trailering.

If you wire in a A TOAD CHARGER, it can keep the boat fridge from running down the boat batteries too much when trailering long distances. I’m not competent enough to ‘roll my own’ charging solution, but I installed this with only one short circuit, which the microprocessor controlled, a couple of fires and only one relatively minor explosion, so you could too if you want.

http://www.lslproducts.net/ToadChargePage.html

Credit for this find goes to Bob, as is so often the case (including my Wefings Float On trailer, which is a copy of Bob’s for his 2006(?) TC255).

The TC255 transom has a lot of weight cantilevered off the transom, and it should be fully supported by the end of the trailer bunks, not hanging off them. The bowstop can be adjusted a bit if needed for this without changing the tongue weight much.

When loading a TC255 onto the trailer, it’s not possible to see where the bowstop is (even looking out the side window). I used an epoxy mount for a base of ½’ PVC pipe, and a a couple of 90 degree elbows to make an ‘indicator’ that I can see from the helm at the bow rail when the boat is at the bowstop. My helper-spouse and Ear-Tecs are good, but this visual reference is even better. It takes some throttle to get the TomCat moving up the bunks, and it’s easy to over-do it without the visual reference. The upper portion is too flimsy to trailer and is removed from the base epoxy mount for that.

Bowstop indicator mount:

Bowstop indicator view from Helm:

After loading, the boat will no longer be at the bowstop. To slide it forward, at 2MPH walking speed on solid road, stomp the brakes and it will slide right into the bowstop cushion.

Happy Trailering, and hope this is helpful!

John

gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob,
I own but haven’t used a 10k rated big ratchet gunnel strap because it interferes so much with getting into the cabin from the aft ladder at stops. We’re getting something out of the cabin (including lunch) at most every stop. Boarding my TC255 from the wheel fender is very difficult (even 8 years ago, when I was not overdue for knee replacements). Did you drill holes in the trailer I-beam, or just catch the frame on the strap hooks? The bowstop bolts and attachment points seem much more robust than the aft cleats (although I agree every bit helps). Plus the front safety chain resists the boat riding up and over the bowstop in a crash.

Tom,
I use HD rachet transom straps with a rag or plastic protectors and replace about every 3 years due to UV exposure and chafe on the bracket lower chine, which is hard to prevent.

https://www.amazon.com/BoatBuckle-HD-Ratchet-Transom-Tie-Down/dp/B0767HVHD5/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=hd+ratchet+transom+strap&qid=1619214548&sr=8-2

Some additional free TC255 trailering notes where you get what you pay for…

The EOH brake pump (now on my second one) contains a control circuit that is most commonly ruined by water intrusion. Best solution is having it in a protected battery box like Bob. Can’t do that, but I use a Walmart plastic waste basket secured by battery box hold downs, which I hope blocks some of the rain, at 60MPH that’s almost hurricane strength blowby.

My 1,100 lb tongue weight is a lot for a 1,500# jack and was a real workout to use. We added an 8,000# Fulton jack that is slower, but much easier to crank.

Mount your spare tire on a spare hub. Carry a min 6,000lb floor jack, 2x4 support pieces, penetrating oil and a breaker bar for your tire tool.

Our winch strap would chafe going over the bowstop, so I added two 10k links to prevent that.

Before heading down the launch ramp, remove the safety chain and let out about two feet of winch strap. If the boat slides back, there is too much tension on the winch to release it. When the front of the front fender is 1-2 inches underwater is about right, or awash on really steep and deep ramps.

We trailer with the bimini Sunbrella removed and the frame secured to the rear. The frame is also secured to the railings with 75lb Ancor cable ties for extra stability. It is just barely possible to stash the whole frame inside the cabin, but not worth the effort, esp if you use the cabin as much as we do when trailering.

If you wire in a A TOAD CHARGER, it can keep the boat fridge from running down the boat batteries too much when trailering long distances. I’m not competent enough to ‘roll my own’ charging solution, but I installed this with only one short circuit, which the microprocessor controlled, a couple of fires and only one relatively minor explosion, so you could too if you want.

http://www.lslproducts.net/ToadChargePage.html

Credit for this find goes to Bob, as is so often the case (including my Wefings Float On trailer, which is a copy of Bob’s for his 2006(?) TC255).

The TC255 transom has a lot of weight cantilevered off the transom, and it should be fully supported by the end of the trailer bunks, not hanging off them. The bowstop can be adjusted a bit if needed for this without changing the tongue weight much.

When loading a TC255 onto the trailer, it’s not possible to see where the bowstop is (even looking out the side window). I used an epoxy mount for a base of ½’ PVC pipe, and a a couple of 90 degree elbows to make an ‘indicator’ that I can see from the helm at the bow rail when the boat is at the bowstop. My helper-spouse and Ear-Tecs are good, but this visual reference is even better. It takes some throttle to get the TomCat moving up the bunks, and it’s easy to over-do it without the visual reference. The upper portion is too flimsy to trailer and is removed from the base epoxy mount for that.

Bowstop indicator mount:

Bowstop indicator view from Helm:

After loading, the boat will no longer be at the bowstop. To slide it forward, at 2MPH walking speed on solid road, stomp the brakes and it will slide right into the bowstop cushion.

Happy Trailering, and hope this is helpful!

John
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

We carry a collapsible ladder for boarding--for us it is much easier than going over the transom. We do sleep in the boat almost 100% of the time when traveling. Rest Stops, Camp Grounds, Cracker Barrels and Walmart parking lots have been our stops. We have run the generator all night in one particularly hot night for the AC. We have had to make some accommodation for the freezer which is usually under th ratchet strap, if we need to take food out for dinner. We keep a cooler with ice in the truck for lunch and snacks, so rarely board the boat during the day travels.

I put the ratchet straps under the trailer frame on the inside. The aluminum extrusions are rounded enough that there is no chafe. The strap is right in front of the cleats so that the load is fully in shear--and it would take a huge force to allow the boat to move forward and break the bolts/cleats. Just the way we are hap[iest.

We carry an impact wrench--better than breaker bars for us. Also a torque wrench so I can torque the lug nuts to specs--and I usually check them before a trip. We also carry several sets of bearings, and seals, plus a good manual grease gun and tools to pull the wheel, change calipers etc. I now have 3 complete sets of extra calipers. I had ordered them after I had rebuilt the brakes, but they didn't arrive in time for Hontoon trip. I turned out that the re-built calipers were fine--with new brake pads.
I have gone to all synthetic grease. Seems much better. I was thinking of the oil baths, but decided against them. If one had to pull a hub, it would be messy with the replace of the bearings. I would want to avoid that if possible.

I carry bottle jacks-two 6 ton jacks. The bigger the jack the less work. Also I have an extension handle of conduit so I don't have to be on the ground--and have a pad if I do. I carry lengths of 2 x 8 and several lengths of 4 x 4 for the jacks. We also have the 8,000 lb tongue jack on the 25--much more robust than what comes with the trailers.

We do the same trick for bringing the boat "Home" to the winch post, with application of brakes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: