View previous topic :: View next topic  
C-Belle

City/Region: Victoria
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 29 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Belle
Photos: C-Belle
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Anchor rode cleat Reply with quote

Looking at adding an 8" cleat between the windless and bow roller. Would offset it by 2" +- to ensure the rode rides free. See my photo album for approximate position. Any advice would be appreciated.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have already have two good cleats at the edges. You can use those for anchoring with a snubber system, but if you want another cleat I see no problem in adding one, and your position seems like it would work without adding undo side pull stress to the roller.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main anchor cleat is located behind the windlass. I also installed two cleats on the sides as you have. When I anchor, I tie a snubber line to the rode and tie off to the side cleats. This takes pressure off the bow roller and prevents wear on the rode from the roller.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left the main bow cleat where it was, and just let the anchor rode put some side pressure on the windlass (smooth side) for a short anchorage period. But as most with secondary bow cleats, use those with a bridle when anchoring for any length of time.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
C-Belle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips. I installed the cleat as planned (see photo album). This is for a short anchorage while we spend the afternoon or a calm night. In a blow I can always secure the rode through the two forward cleats with a snubber.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure that the rode does not chafe on the aft, port side of the bow roller piece. You have more room on the 29 than the 22 or 25 have.
C-Belle

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob
I start my first turn on the starboard side of the cleat and it clears the aft end of the roller. It was a fine line to make sure the chain did not ride along the bottom of the cleat. No room aft of the windless to install it.
garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Be sure that the rode does not chafe on the aft, port side of the bow roller piece. You have more room on the 29 than the 22 or 25 have.

Would there be any downside to using a camlock type cleat in this location? As you mention, I don't have room for a regular cleat positioned like this, but a cam would fit.

'08 Yamaha 90
KC3PO
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

garyf wrote:
thataway wrote:

Would there be any downside to using a camlock type cleat in this location? As you mention, I don't have room for a regular cleat positioned like this, but a cam would fit.

Gary, I didn't see a Windlass on the one photo in your album of the side of the boat. How much room is there from the back of your windlass (which I suspect you installed after you bought the boat) and the cleat which is there? If only an half an inch, you can still use that cleat, and let the rode rest against the side of the windlass.

I have used a lot of various types of cam cleats in my racing sail boats. But I would not trust one for an anchor rode. There are some line stoppers, but they require that the line goes thru the stopper all of the time. That will not work with a chain!

Generally one should use snubbers when riding to an anchor for any length of time. That is the reason that many of us have installed cleats on the outer part of the deck by the gunnel.

Some have chain stoppers on the deck before the windlass. I have taken those off boats which I have owned. They don't allow any shock absorption if used to secure the chain. OK if you have a snubber or two on the chain... you still need a cleat if you get to the rope part of the rode.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Generally one should use snubbers when riding to an anchor for any length of time.

Although I certainly agree with this in general, I've always felt that snubbers are unnecessary for those of us that use a short piece of chain (15 to 25 feet) at the anchor and then nylon rope the rest of the way. I've always been of the mind that the nylon rope stretches enough to be its own "snubber". (I hope I've been correct about that Wink ).

garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Gary, I didn't see a Windlass on the one photo in your album of the side of the boat. How much room is there from the back of your windlass (which I suspect you installed after you bought the boat) and the cleat which is there? If only an half an inch, you can still use that cleat, and let the rode rest against the side of the windlass.

I've got a good 1.25" between the cleat and the windlass. I guess it makes sense to go around the side of the windlass now that you mention it.

Thanks.
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Although I certainly agree with this in general, I've always felt that snubbers are unnecessary for those of us that use a short piece of chain (15 to 25 feet) at the anchor and then nylon rope the rest of the way. I've always been of the mind that the nylon rope stretches enough to be its own "snubber".

Sandy--in general one can get by with this. Many people do. I do if I know the weather is going to be calm. However if we anchor in heavy winds (and often we cannot predict when the squall may come in) there is not sufficient elasticity in 1/2" line to prevent shock loading the anchor. Also there is the issue of chafe on the anchor line. Both on the anchor roller and potentially on the sides of the roller support.

An example is about 4 years ago on the St. John's river we had anchored in an oxbow. There was no heavy weather predicted. But at about 2 AM a squall came thru with 50 knots or more. The boat to windward of us drug down hitting our boat. I did have the snubber lines on--he did not--we had similar boats and similar anchors. He was a very experienced boater. Did the snubbers make a difference? I don't honestly know. But I will be safe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: