The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New boat missing Anchor/Windless. Help me buy a replacement?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wa500

City/Region: seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Horse
Photos: C-Horse
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, I am going to order these items. Since Defender does not sell the Manson Anchor, I have to get that off Amazon.

Can you please check check these over? Am I making any mistakes if I submit this order?

Do I need any other accessories for the install kit? Does it include switches and everything I need other than maybe electrical wire and connectors? I assume I'll have to run all the way to the back battery?

I remain concerned about the epoxy/resin part of the install. I can do everything else just fine.

Anyone think I'm doing the wrong thing before I submit the order?

garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems reasonable to me. I got the same windlass and installed it fairly recently. I actually got the "pro fish" version of the windlass, but that's just a variation that allows the anchor to free fall.

Everyone is going to have different opinions on the makeup of the rode and of course it also depends on where you're going to be fishing as well. In my opinion, you're a little light on chain, but that's just my opinion. I got 60' of chain and 200' of rope... so you actually have a little more length overall. I've seen recommendations from reputable sources that the amount of chain should be 2x to 3x times the length of your boat - but I also know some people who don't use chain at all.

As far as setting the point for anchoring in relation to a target fishing spot, it can be useful to go to your target and set a waypoint then let the boat drift off the waypoint to get a feel for what direction and distance you need to go to drop anchor and drift to the target fishing spot.

Oh, and YES you very much should seal the holes you drill with epoxy to protect the balsa core. There are articles posted in here on how to do that and why, etc.

Good luck. Several of us have done what you're going to do so while our opinions may vary slightly, there's plenty of help available.

'08 Yamaha 90
KC3PO
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do not buy your anchor rode from Home Depot

Why not? HD now carries a line of marine rope and lines. All the premade lines with loops for dock lines AND they are coming from the same manufacturer as west marine , defender etc etc. Just half the money.

Schuster

City/Region: Port Orchard
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sea Witch
Photos: Sea Witch
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good choices and good price points. Inquire on the windlass if it comes with a breaker box. They sell a package deal where you get the whole works and dont have to go buy any electrical stuff. good luck. and if you need someone familiar with Puget Sound to learn to shrimp and crab and fish, drop me a note and I'll be glad to share a few good spots with you.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point on the breaker--but you will also need the wire for the windlass.
You are going to need high test shackles for the anchor/ chain.

My impression is that the dock and anchor lines at places like Walmart and Home depot are made in China. Defender uses ARCO made in USA G 4 chain. My Brait line was by Yale Cordage. I don't believe that you will find Brait 8 plait anchor rode at Home Depot.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
wa500

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schuster wrote:
Good choices and good price points. Inquire on the windlass if it comes with a breaker box. They sell a package deal where you get the whole works and dont have to go buy any electrical stuff. good luck. and if you need someone familiar with Puget Sound to learn to shrimp and crab and fish, drop me a note and I'll be glad to share a few good spots with you.

Thank you, might just have to take you up on this offer...

After I figure out how to launch the boat off the trailer and tie a knot Smile. Total amateur hour here.
wa500

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thataway wrote:
Good point on the breaker--but you will also need the wire for the windlass.
You are going to need high test shackles for the anchor/ chain.

My impression is that the dock and anchor lines at places like Walmart and Home depot are made in China. Defender uses ARCO made in USA G 4 chain. My Brait line was by Yale Cordage. I don't believe that you will find Brait 8 plait anchor rode at Home Depot.

I will order a spool of 8 gauge marine wire. I assume it goes directly to the house battery?

BTW: how does the house battery charge? I have a "start" plus "house" switch. Is there a diode in there to allow the alternator to one-way charge the house?

>> You are going to need high test shackles for the anchor/ chain.

Can you recommend a specific link to a suitable product on defender? I'll order it.
LesR

City/Region: St. Louis
State or Province: MO
Vessel Name: Intuition
Photos: Intuition
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the one I recently ordered for my rode after losing my anchor to Mark Twain Lake.
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1&id=3290405

Mantus Anchors also has a 20% discount running for the next couple days (Mantusmarine.com). Their M1 is similar to the Manson Supreme and Rocna anchors, if you want to further complicate the decision process.

Les
wa500

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesR wrote:
Here's the one I recently ordered for my rode after losing my anchor to Mark Twain Lake.
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1&id=3290405

Mantus Anchors also has a 20% discount running for the next couple days (Mantusmarine.com). Their M1 is similar to the Manson Supreme and Rocna anchors, if you want to further complicate the decision process.

Les

Hehe... probably the last remaining mystery is if the rope and chain length is right, but I think I'll pull the trigger at midnight if I don't hear any other advice Smile
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Here's the one I recently ordered for my rode after losing my anchor to Mark Twain Lake

Hey Les, that lake does have a few trees in it. Wink Colby
garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schuster wrote:
Inquire on the windlass if it comes with a breaker box. They sell a package deal where you get the whole works and dont have to go buy any electrical stuff.

My windlass came with breaker, relay and dashboard controller switch. You still have to buy wire, connectors, etc.
wa500

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What specific type of epoxy and resin (and minimum quantity) should I order to finish the job?

Do I need a backing plate or does an adequate one come with the horizontal kit?
wa500

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I want this + a fast hardener? It mentions it is "yellow", is that ok?

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=12198#

Or do I not need Resin at all and just lining it with standard home-depot 2 part epoxy sufficient?

It seems I won't be using much product. One quart plus hardener is nearly $80. Is there a better option?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all due respect, you are starting a project, yet I am not sure you know exactly what is involved. I you have not already done so, I suggest that you study the manual for installation of the Lewmar 700:

manual for Lewmar 700 Windlass.

There are going to be lots of items you will need--including epoxy (Which needs two parts to catalyze). The epoxy is to seal the core around the holes you drill in the deck, one of which is large. (3" diameter) The core will have to be cut back and the area filled with thickened epoxy. West Systems has already thickened epoxy : 6/10 epoxy.

You are going to need a good crimper for the #8 wire, and probably second crimper for 10/12, 14/16 and 18/22 AWG wire. You will need terminals. Wire needs to be color coded: positive is red and negative is black or yellow.. You will need adhesive shrink wrap. All positive terminals or bare terminals have to be covered.

Do you have the correct size hole saw and a powerful enough drill?

You need to place the first 50 amp breaker within 7" of battery or primary busbar. I have always put in second 50 amp breaker near the helm, so that is where you can turn the power on from the helm. (I put it on the front forward bulkhead under the galley, just under the top, well outboard, so the helmsman can easily reach it from the helm seat.

You may need terminal posts when the smaller wire from the windlass connects to the #8 wire you are running from the batteries.

When buying wire and terminal fittings get marine grade (which means that they are copper tin plated, that there is an adhesive shrink wrap sleeve over the wire.

There may be a contractor or there may just be a switch.

I use fender washers to back the windlass, or a custom made plate of aluminum ( if you have a source for 1/4" aluminum plate, you can drill out the holes).

You probably will want to grind off the nonskid where you mount the windlass. You will need a good grinder (I use a 4" angle grinder with a sanding backing plate) and then a sealant (4000) when installed.

The charging of batteries is a whole other topic. The boat should have a 1/2/all / off switch. For years boaters combined (All) the batteries when running after starting and then went to ! or 2 for house use after the engine stops. In recent years most use voltage sensitive relays, to combine the batteries.
wa500

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Thataway. Part of this is to get the parts ordered so they arrive by next Friday. I'm sure I have lots of other reading to do. The other challenge is there's not boat-specific write-up I can find on here. Smile

There are going to be lots of items you will need--including epoxy (Which needs two parts to catalyze).

The directions state "epoxy" but I see some people (including one of your previous posts) mention "epoxy resin". To me, expoxy is to the two part household stuff you use to stick things that I use for airplane models, but I'm not sure what Resin is.

If this is all I need, I think that's golden, I'll order it:

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=1152086

You are going to need a good crimper for the #8 wire,

Can I just drop Solder and heat shrink tubing and hit it with a heat gun
like I do for automotive stuff instead?

and probably second crimper for 10/12, 14/16 and 18/22 AWG wire. You will need terminals. Wire needs to be color coded: positive is red and negative is black or yellow..

I ordered 25' of each, I hope that's enough!

You will need adhesive shrink wrap. All positive terminals or bare terminals have to be covered.

Is "covered" satisfied if it's behind the factory removable cover where all the electrical wiring is? It does not appear Defender sells this product, although they do have adhesive shrink wrap not advertised for electrical applications.

Finally, it appears to include washers and the likes, but do I need to fashion anything more for a backing plate? Or can it just go on with a big flat washer?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Anchoring All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: