View previous topic :: View next topic  
Finally2

City/Region: Los Osos
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Finally2
Photos: Finally2
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:21 am    Post subject: Raising tower height question Reply with quote

I’ve searched the historic posts and actually can’t find this answer. My 22 cruiser has a low radar arch/tower. Instead of buying a new tower and having to patch holes, etc- I know a stainless welder. So I’m interested in cutting and welding extension pieces to raise my tower. I want to be able to slide an inflatable under there or two paddleboards stacked. Since the factory rod holders welded on the current arch limit space for sliding things under I’m interested in raising it high enough that those rod holders don’t limit me.

Currently from the ground to the top of my radar trailered is ten ft. I don’t go under any water bridges. Do you think raising it 18in will be enough to fit an inflatable under there?

I believe, looking at everyone’s pictures for years, that the rod holders won’t affect the dingy placement as the dingy will slide right up to them. The rod holders won’t even be continently even usable with the tower that high but no reason to pay extra to have them removed by the welder if I can still slide the two paddleboards underneath when not using the dingy? Cause the paddleboards will definitely need to slide past the rod holders to not be hanging way over the front.

Ppl with the factory tall towers. How tall are they that fit the dingy underneath ? What is your clearance from roof to bottom of rod holders? I have a Yakima roof racks on there to place the toys on so I’ll be raising it and measuring from that as my base.

Thank you sorry for the rant Smile the boat is in the shop now and they want an answer and I’m scared of either not raising it high enough or the opposite
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most inflatables in the size we use are from 14 to 16" tubes. At times the transom is about 2" higher. Do you own an inflatable le now? If so measure the height of the transom from the floor.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Finally2

City/Region: Los Osos
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2003
Vessel Name: Finally2
Photos: Finally2
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I may just raise it 22in. Give myself some wiggle room. Definitely won’t be able to access those rod holders up top. I’ve seen some ppl mount rod holders on the side of the cabin. May do that. I guess just use a little starboard to angle the rod holder “out” more so the rods don’t rub against the cabin/roof area
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2024 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you get "too high," Be sure that there are no wires or tree branches on your most common routes. Is there a radar or antennas on the tower? Are there low bridges etc.
C-Green

City/Region: Houghton
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2002
Vessel Name: C-Green
Photos: C-Green
PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2024 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remove the rod holders from the arch crossbar and have the welder weld them onto the leg extensions where you can reach them - just another added step in a simple project.

Jay
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: