View previous topic :: View next topic  
tparrent

City/Region: Apex
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tomfoolery
Photos: tparrent (TBD)
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject: New dockline product idea Reply with quote

I can't lasso a cleat with a dockline to save my life.

Put a power cord or hose in my hands and I'll snag every cleat in sight.

I think I'll just stow my lines and use hoses to tie up the boat.

In other news...

I finally got the windows open. Took mallet, a pry bar, a chunk of wood, a belaying pin and a a few choice words but they are open and the tracks are now cleaned and lubricated. Should be good for at least a week.

Needed to remove the old name and registration numbers. Brought an exotic selection of solvents and other nasty potions. Tried a plastic scraper tool that came with a little bottle of Goo Gone. Worked so well that I bought another. he first one being on the bottom of the river had nothing to do with the second purchase. I see a good product, I just buy another. That's my story.

In order to fill the water tank and scrape the name off the port side, I had to turn the boat around, which meant backing it into the slip. I foresaw drama so I snagged an old salt down the dock and asked for help. A lot of well deserved shouting ensued. I eventually got it in safely. I need some practice but first I need to find a rubber dock and styrofoam pilings.

There's still stuff on the punch list but I suppose that will always be the case. May go cruising tomorrow after finishing a couple chores. I'm off to the end of the week and the weather is fine.

daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean docking gracefully under full control is not a natural-born quality inherent in everyone wise enough to take up powerboating?

I’m stunned...
Angler

City/Region: Clarence
State or Province: NY
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: The Laurie Jean (Tim & Laurie)
Photos: Laurie Jean
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If all else fails....keep writing!
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:11 pm    Post subject: Decals and other Stickers Reply with quote

Instead of using heavy duty chemicals that could damage the gel coat, next time start with a high volume hair dryer or heat gun to soften the glue binder. Do one letter/number at a time and use a plastic scraper to lift each decal.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a whole photo essay on "Renaming My Boat" at the following link.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album598&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

As suggested, the hairdryer and a soft plastic scraper works great. I used a wooden down with a chisel shaped tip.

Here is the hair dryer I used.

As to the docking. Go out, away from any dock or boat. Toss in a float so you have something to rotate around. and then go try one engine in forward and one in reverse. Both at idle, then try one throttled up slightly. Try playing with that for a while. Switch them around and get used to twisting and turning with the OB's centered and no hands on the wheel.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

tparrent

City/Region: Apex
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tomfoolery
Photos: tparrent (TBD)
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In days of yore, when I was a sailor, I would take out each new boat (too many to count) and practice all direction approaches under power and sail, using a racing buoy as a target. Race committee got annoyed with me once (hey, there wasn't a race going on when I did it!) until I started teaching their members how to dock.

Obviously, I need to get back to that sort on concentrated practice as you suggest. Not touching the wheel is a good suggestion as I was wildly over steering yesterday.

I don't know if it's a design flaw or just my boat but this rudder doesn't do squat when I turn the wheel while in neutral. Where's that lovely drift steering I'm used to? Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: