The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Dear thataway/Bob

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Dory Boats For Sale By Owner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfman

City/Region: San Diego
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hunky Dory
Photos: Rowdy Runabout
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:15 pm    Post subject: Dear thataway/Bob Reply with quote

You have been posting negative comments and badmouthing my ad and boat for some time now, even after I explained in my first post why engine mounting is important. We even talked about it on the phone. (Which is the only time I discussed my 34 gal. bait tank. Maybe you should get off the couch/internet and fish an area that has following seas and understand why a guy would want the motor up a little higher! And to say that I claim 150 mile trips...What are you inferring? When We go offshore after tuna the day starts before dawn and ends after dark.
And all that jive about new engines verses old engines how did you come up with

that? My engine has only 52 hours and a 5 year warranty.
I didn't understand why someone could be so mean until I saw YOUR AD for YOUR C-Dory! This is supposed to be a safe place to share all things C-Dory and a brotherhood. I think your motives and actions reflect badly on us all!

garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you please reference where Thataway/Bob was "mean" to you? I looked at your most recent listing as well as the older Dec '20 listing and see nothing that I consider "mean". He's made a couple comments re: the jackplate as being unusual and so on and that's about it. The comments are actually helpful to the rest of us wondering why you chose to go with an unusual setup, and his comments are not inaccurate.

Unless I'm missing something, I think you deserve a friendly "lighten up Francis".

And what's with the "get off the couch" comment? Seriously? I don't know you from Adam, but it's not impossible for me to think that Bob's spent more time on the water than you've been alive.

He's not competing with you ad-wise, trust me. He's just making truthful, honest comments that I don't see as being "mean" at all. Try learning from him. I've learned more from him than any other single person in this forum and I'm grateful that he takes the time to share his knowledge.

'06 Yamaha 90
KC3PO
BTDT

City/Region: Grand Lake Oklahoma
State or Province: OK
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: C- Lark Wine Down
Photos: C-Lark
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="garyf"]
Unless I'm missing something, I think you deserve a friendly "lighten up Francis".
And what's with the "get off the couch" comment? Seriously? I don't know you from Adam, but it's not impossible for me to think that Bob's spent more time on the water than you've been alive.
He's not competing with you ad-wise, trust me. He's just making truthful, honest comments that I don't see as being "mean" at all. Try learning from him. I've learned more from him than any other single person in this forum and I'm grateful that he takes the time to share his knowledge.[/quote

I totally agree with Garyf except for that I have learned more from Dr. Bob than I have learned from all the other boating forums combined.

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wolfman I never talked or communicated with you. I attempted to explain why you put a jack plate on your boat. What I posted was my interpretation of what you posted on your first for sale (or not) thread.

As to my fishing in S. Calif. I fished the waters off Long Beach, Ca. For
over 50 years. I have caught hundreds of fish in those waters, although I have never taken any C Dory 75 miles offshore there. Nor have I put a long shaft motor on a boat not designed for it. I have owned a 1993 C Dory 22 on the West Coast of the US. Thus I have personal knowledge of that vintage C Dory.

As far as couch. Vs boating, I have over 250,000 miles in boats from 16 feet to 62 feet; much of this was offshore, including several crossings of both the Atlantic & Pacific Oceans.

If in some way I have offended you personally; i apologize. Good luck selling your boat! I not in any completion ref selling my boat. I have multiple offers. The only issue is when the new owner takes possession.

Regards.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolfman, This might be a good time to back up, take a breath, and consider where you are, who is here on this forum, and who you are trying to sell your boat to.

You might go 75 miles off shore in your 22 C-Dory, catch tuna and be in big waves. For many of us, Myself for sure, that alone raises some very red flags. I'm not a fisherman, but have about 65 years of boating experience, and I know the C-Dory will handle a lot more water than most of us are comfortable with, there are still some things that logic, safety and good sense (as well as some physics) applications shy away from.

The logic you used for raising your outboard on that jackplate makes some sense, but what doesn't make sense is that it is on an older, flat bottom boat, and possibly questionable transom. That transom was not designed for your application, (adding that much weight that high which increases the lever arm and torque on the transom), and therefore exceeds the design capacity of the transom, putting the vessel in danger, to say nothing of the crew if you are 75 miles off shore. Unless you added additional stabilization to that transom prior to adding the jackplate your addition could put you in serious liability should an untoward event occur.

I think Bob Austin was being very nice, very careful in his comments and he is VERY experienced.
This forum site is full of capable experienced professionals with history here, experience in both the C-Dory venue and as mariners in power and sail from East to West and North to South.
The C-BRATS site is a great place to sell a C-Dory, but this one is far enough out on the far edge of practicality that it may be here a while before it sells. You may find a faster sale on Craigs List or another market where you may find folks not as well acquainted with the C-Dory practicality and capabilities.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to pile on but our experience may apply to this or anyone else listing an item for sale on this board...

We bought our C-Dory from someone who listed it for sale on here. He had made some “non-standard” modifications that were mentioned by others in the ad listing, but he replied with grace and not a hint of defensiveness. That alone convinced me to look up the boat and the seller and we are glad we did.

We bought it.
dave

City/Region: Riverview
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Cocoon
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if by chance you do sell it because of this site, don't forget to send Tybo a monetary donation in appreciation.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Dory Boats For Sale By Owner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: