The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Towing a 22 Cruiser with a Toyota Tacoma ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lucky

City/Region: Napa
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:09 pm    Post subject: Towing a 22 Cruiser with a Toyota Tacoma ? Reply with quote

Would it be feasible to tow a 22 Cruiser with a 2020 Toyota Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 Off Road V-6 ? The towing capacity is rated fat 6,500 lbs. Anyone with such experience? Thanks, Lucky
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 22 I had on an aluminum double axle trailer weighed in at around 5100 lbs fully loaded. I towed it with a Toyota Highlander rated for 5000 lbs with no issues. I don't think you'll have any problems towing with a spec of 6500 lbs. Watch your payload weights however. I find that to be more restricting than the towing spec. Colby
ATPNW

City/Region: Covington
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Fellowship
Photos: Fellowship
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tow a 2006 Cape Cruiser 23 Venture with a V6 Tacoma (the Venture weights roughly 1000lbs more than a 22 I think). As long as you have an adequate breaking system (truck + trailer) you should be fine.
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I towed my 22 with a Taco 4wd for 3-4 years before trading up to the 25. Then went to the Tundra. Now i am back down to a 16 and back to a Taco 4wd again.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
PONGO49

City/Region: Friday Harbor
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a 2013 Toyota Tacoma 4 wheel drive 4 door to tie my 2007 22’ CDory with no problems.
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’d check if it has the full tow package installed, also is a weight distribution hitch recommended to tow that much weight? I bet it is since it is for a Tundra.
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2021 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think most boat trailer manufacturers recommend the use of weight distribution hitches. At least not on the size boats we're towing. Part of the problem is the additional stress on the single pole tongues, some due to the braking systems. Colby
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the weight distribution hitch system would negate the surge brake operation because the movement of the surge sensing system would be blocked by the torsion bars.

I think for the Tundra, an airbag system would help level the truck, but the trailer weight is still going to be there, so watch the numbers.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
I think the weight distribution hitch system would negate the surge brake operation because the movement of the surge sensing system would be blocked by the torsion bars. ...

Supposedly if you set up the WD hitch properly, surge brakes still work. WD hitches are normally not recommended for boat trailers, but there is one company that makes one for single pole trailers. Check with your trailer manufacturer before using it though.
TripSmith

City/Region: Dothan
State or Province: AL
C-Dory Year: 2003
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same exact thing last month. After extensive research I drove 700 miles to get my new to me 22 cruiser with my v6 Tacoma with the tow package.

Other than loosing a bearing on the way home, the truck towed surprisingly well!

I do have a bit heavier leaf springs on my truck that I installed when I added 2.5" of lift to it. I did not have functional trailer breaks at the time though and wish I would have but still, I made it home fine.

My plans are to keep the Tacoma and the 22. I will be fixing the trailer breaks and should be good to go!

Here is a video of my 1,400 mile adventure - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3OOPrb2lNA&t=1145s
Barry Rietz

City/Region: Sierra Vista
State or Province: AZ
PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:59 pm    Post subject: Towing with a Toyota Tacoma Reply with quote

The Toyota Tacoma comes in three different configurations; a standard two wheel drive; the Pre-Runner (two wheel drive); and the four wheel drive model. Each model has different tow ratings unless it was delivered with a "factory tow package" that included larger brakes and an oversized transmission oil cooler. So before you buy a Tacoma, or use one to tow your boat, check the vehicle VIN number to see how it was equipped and that it has sufficient capacity to tow the load.
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: Towing with a Toyota Tacoma Reply with quote

Barry Rietz wrote:
The Toyota Tacoma comes in three different configurations; a standard two wheel drive; the Pre-Runner (two wheel drive); and the four wheel drive model. Each model has different tow ratings unless it was delivered with a "factory tow package" that included larger brakes and an oversized transmission oil cooler. So before you buy a Tacoma, or use one to tow your boat, check the vehicle VIN number to see how it was equipped and that it has sufficient capacity to tow the load.

Barry is correct. I have a 2005 Tacoma Pre-runner 4.0L V6 doublecab long bed (nice long wheelbase) with the factory tow package rated to tow up to 6500 lbs. I towed my 22 up from AZ to WA over all sorts of mountain passes with an additional 400-500 lbs of stuff in the bed - no problem. Just take your time and to be in a hurry.

In the next few weeks I plan to use my Tacoma to tow my new Venture 23.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TripSmith wrote:
I was wondering the same exact thing last month. After extensive research I drove 700 miles to get my new to me 22 cruiser with my v6 Tacoma with the tow package.

Other than loosing a bearing on the way home, the truck towed surprisingly well!

I do have a bit heavier leaf springs on my truck that I installed when I added 2.5" of lift to it. I did not have functional trailer breaks at the time though and wish I would have but still, I made it home fine.

My plans are to keep the Tacoma and the 22. I will be fixing the trailer breaks and should be good to go!

Here is a video of my 1,400 mile adventure - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3OOPrb2lNA&t=1145s

Tripsmith, I'm curious what brakes you have on your trailer and what it is that causes them to be "not functional".

Seems pretty gutsy to tow 1400 miles without brakes. I watched the video. Scary comes to mind.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

tomherrick

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I towed my 22' Classic with a Tacoma rated to tow 6,500 lbs. Starting and stopping was no problem at all. I was pretty sure of myself until I was driving on an interstate and getting heavy gust side winds. The boat caught the gusts and would force the trailer tongue to the left then the boat would overcorrect to the right when the gust passed. Definitely a tail wagging the dog situation. White knuckle drive to and from the lake. The truck simply didn't have the weight to counteract the sail action by the boat in heavy wind. Sold the truck two weeks later. Great truck, but not for towing tall boats - in my experience and opinion.
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2021 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience also when we purchased our C-Dory with already owning a Dodge Dakota. I loved my Dodge but after 3 months of towing the 23 Venture, the tail wagging the dog was my experienced too. Bought a full size truck and now all is well. I need to be fair because the 23 Venture weights about 550 lbs. more when compared to a 22 Cruiser while on a trailer, (trailer, boat, motor, fuel and water) but the comparison is close. I know there are people on this site that tow their 22 Cruisers with tow vehicles lighter than a mid-sized truck but for towing long distance regularly, I would not recommend it. The Tacoma or Dakota may be legal to tow with but having a larger more capable tow vehicle is comforting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: