View previous topic :: View next topic  
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:43 pm    Post subject: Webasto Black Forest 31 Qt Fridge Freezer Reply with quote

Thanks to ssobol for posting about Defender having the "Webasto Black Forest 31 Qt Fridge Freezer" for $250 or $199 if you join "Defender First". They apparently are still in stock. We ordered one 6 days ago and it arrived today. It is very similar to other chest freezers in this size range--plastic outer cover, there are fold down detachable handles (maybe add an inch to our all length).

The unit cools from 70 to 20 in less than an hour on "max". Max cool draws 60 watts on 120V AC, or about 5 amps on 12 V DC I believe that the motor runs on 12 volts, and there is a small converter/rectifer to provide the DC power. There is a Eco mode which does continue to cool, and draws 35 watts or a little under 3 amps at 12 volts. I don't have a cycle length or amp hours yet--I'll measure that this evening on Eco and then on Max to see what the difference is.

I am comparing it to a Norcold (same as Engle Branded) 12 volt 45 Liters (about $750) and an ARB 50 Liter (120 AC and 12 V DC) about $1100. It seems like a real bargain, even if it is only 2/3 the capacity at 31 quarts (29.8 Liters) or compare directly to the Norcold 30 Liter At $660.

It is lighter than the similar Norcold (45 lbs vs 35# for the Webasto). I suspect the difference in weight is the metal frame of the Norcold, vs the Webasco seems to have only a pan and frame around the motor area (but does extend to the screw holes for the handles...). Insulation maybe slightly less than the Norcold--and definitely less than the ARB (which weighs 55#) and is 50 Liters. I suspect that the ARB will be a bit more efficient running than the Webasto.

For us, it will be used in the truck when traveling and when buying groceries and doing other chores in Marie's SUV. Also a "spill over " for extra frozen food in the RV. We may use it on the boat as a freezer if making shorter trips when we would have taken the heavier and larger ARB.

For the $$ it seems like a real bargain...Is it the best out there? NO. And we will see about durability.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year we bought the isotherm travelbox 31 and installed under the galley on a slide. We specifically picked it because it was about the biggest we could get and still fit it under the galley. We love it, but it was $700 at the time. This unit looks to be pretty much the same thing with a different compressor. I guess the danfoss compressor is $500 better than the secop???
thataway

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
same thing with a different compressor. I guess the danfoss compressor is $500 better than the secop???

Nope, Secop is the same compressor as Danfoss: This has the 35.
Quote:
Secop GmbH (formerly known as Danfoss Compressors GmbH) is a manufacturer of hermetic compressors for cooling circuits.
clayhubler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So there is actually no difference!? Well, now I really feel like I overpaid... I'm think I'm going to have to get one of these as a backup.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My factory installed fridge handles my cooling needs just fine (along with a very large Yeti cooler with ice in the cockpit). But what I do wish I had is an ability to freeze things. I'd like to keep frozen meat and such from thawing on long trips; I'd like to freeze freshly caught shrimp after de-heading without having to go to land; I'd like the ability to make ice (even if the quantity is a bit limited).

Would this unit do those things for me???

clayhubler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy,
I think it would. The travelbox 31 I have will act as a fridge or freezer and I can't find a difference between it and this one. Being able to 'process' the prawns on board is key for us, also.

I did buy one of these black forest units last night for use as a spare or in the vehicle. The price is right.
thataway

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
My factory installed fridge handles my cooling needs just fine (along with a very large Yeti cooler with ice in the cockpit). But what I do wish I had is an ability to freeze things. I'd like to keep frozen meat and such from thawing on long trips; I'd like to freeze freshly caught shrimp after de-heading without having to go to land; I'd like the ability to make ice (even if the quantity is a bit limited).

Would this unit do those things for me???

Yes, but I would put items you want to freeze in freezer bags. We have frozen bags of ice for many years in these types of units.

One of the differences between the Norcold/Dometic/ARB is that the condenser plates are the side of the large part of the refer/freezer unit. The Norcold/Dometic/ARB have plastic over the metal condenser plates. I have built in units with the plates exposed and they worked well for a number of years. But corrosion, and leakage could be an issue.

Here is the manual for the unit.

There is no warrantee card, but apparently a 3 year warrantee against manufacturing defects--6 months for "parts"...

I ran it on eco in a 73* environment for 10 hours and it average draw was 1.4 amps. But that is really an ideal run--and no material in the unit. The area above the motor seems to run 10* warmer: If the body of the ref is at 34* the temp in the second smaller compartment will be about 44*. The thermostat does not appear to be as accurate as some of the more expensive units, but it does the job--goes right down to zero in a couple of hours.

The unit has a 3 stage battery cut off switch (same as the Norcold). Many of the controls are the same as the Norcold. It is $350 on Amazon.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> The Galley All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: