The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

New pivoting anchor roller position

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LesR

City/Region: St. Louis
State or Province: MO
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Intuition
Photos: Intuition
PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2021 8:28 pm    Post subject: New pivoting anchor roller position Reply with quote

I'm updating my anchor roller (Lewmar pivoting) in advance of installing a Windlass (Lewmar V700 Horizontal on order) and encountered the following issues when placing it consistent with the original (Windline non-pivoting) version:

1: When placing the anchor roller to in the same location as the original, it can only pivot a short distance before hitting the front of the bow as shown in the following photo:

2: If I position the roller forward far enough to allow a full range of the pivot without impacting the bow, it's too far forward - the forward bolt hole will not go through to the anchor locker.

I elevated the anchor roller with a scrap of 1-inch starboard, which looks as if it may work to ensure all the mounting bolts are accessible from the anchor locker and allow full movement of the pivoting section as shown here:

What concerns/considerations should I entertain with this approach?
I assume I may need to elevate the windlass the same amount to ensure the rode remains "level" per Lewmar's installation instructions.
Perhaps I'll get a single piece of starboard large enough to cover the portion of the deck that will include both the windlass and anchor roller, with mounting bolts long enough to be secured from the anchor locker.

Am I missing anything here?
I'm open to other options, since I assume I'll want the roller to be able to pivot for its full range without hitting the nose of the boat.

Les Rohlf
PNW_Wesley

City/Region: Vancouver
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 19 Angler
Vessel Name: Zenith
Photos: Zenith
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same roller.

Remove the bolt which connects the pivoting piece to the fixed frame. Slide the pivot forward and use the hole which is just aft of where the bolt is in your photo.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The single starboard piece sounds like a reasonable action, and sort of acts as a reverse backing plate, (would usually have the backing plate under the foredeck), but that would still work. I would use some very large Fender washers, maybe stack a couple of sizes to spread the load.

What I did with mine was to drill the upper, pivoting piece, with new holes, half way between the existing holes. That was enough to get it to pivot when I released the windlass pressure. Works great.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

PNW_Wesley

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed my roller in the same manner that Joe did with Sea Wolf, and there is plenty of clearance between the bow and anchor.

Here is Joe's installation:

Here is mine:

Les - Just moving the pivot to a different existing hole may work with yours.

My roller may not be "level" as Lewmar envisioned, but it works perfectly.

My windlass was already installed before I added the new roller, and there are 3 studs holding the windlass to the deck. I put a 1/4" aluminum plate below the deck. The forward end of the plate is below the roller, and the aft end of the plate catches the forward stud of the windlass. When the anchor chain gets pulled tight as the anchor comes to rest in the roller, the plate helps to absorb the shock.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allow me to ask a dumb question Wink Very Happy ......

I didn't know such a thing as a pivoting anchor roller even existed. What's the advantage of having such a roller?

PNW_Wesley

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

smckean (Tosca) wrote:
What's the advantage of having such a roller?

No such thing as a dumb question when it comes to boats.

A pivoting roller helps to ensure that the anchor drops as soon as you command the windlass to do so, without having to touch the anchor.

With the short roller which was standard on my 19, I had to stand on the berth and nudge the anchor forward before it would fall.

With the pivoting roller, my anchor drops cleanly with no intervention.

And with the anchor farther forward, there is less chance of it hitting the bow, especailly while retrieving it.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PNW_Wesley,

Thanks for the explanation. I like the idea, but given the way I normally anchor, I don't think it would buy me enough, or rather often enough, to justify the expense.

It used to bother me to have to go up on the foredeck to push the anchor that few inches it took for it to fall on its own. Then one day I discovered that if I used the windlass to give out 3 or 4" of chain before I arrived at the anchorage, 9 times out of 10 the boat would hit a small wave and the anchor would drop by itself that 3 or 4"......not enough to hang down or even leave the roller unit, but enough so that it deployed itself when I finally released the chain with the windlass switch when I reached the deployment point. Voila....no more having to go to the foredeck Wink Laughing.

P.S. In that 1 case out of 10 when the anchor doesn't take the 3 or 4" on its own, I shove the boat into reverse while I am still going forward a couple MPH as I approach the anchor drop point -- that lurches the boat slightly and the anchor nearly always takes up the 3 or 4" of chain needed for the anchor to self-deploy once I decide to do so. (This can be done while reversing too, but that's a bit trickier.)
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Les

The roller on my 25 is in the next hole back, but also you may want to check the clearance of the pivoted arm to clean the bow and the tip of the anchor to clear the hull. I have a piece of SS over the bow to prevent "dings". My roller base appears to be further forward than yours. You don't want the roller hitting the fiberglass.

As long as the lead of the chain to the windlass, being up a few degrees will make little difference. Do put a good backing plate, especially if you use a spacer of Starboard--there can be an increased leverage on those bolts and under the deck.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
LesR

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much to all of you who replied with and described your similar setups. My primary concern (as Bob warned) is positioning it so that the pivoting section does not smack the gelcoat on the bow every time the anchor is deployed.

The hole selected for the pivoting section does not change whether or not it hits the bow, though selecting the aft set of holes (which moves the anchor and CG forward) will certainly lower risk of damage from the anchor itself. Once everything is installed, I'll try both holes with a couple different anchors to determine which setting (or one in-between) gives the best combination of controlled release and separation from the bow.

I'm going to order a piece of starboard that will support both the windlass and anchor roller, along with a backing plate below to keep all the components and stresses within a single unit. Elevating the mounting plate will ensure the forward-most bolt extends into the anchor locker.

I've seen recommendations for either grinding and fairing the non-skid or adding fairing to ensure a flat area and properly seal the windlass. For those that have done so, what tool(s) work best to grind down the nonskid?

Les Rohlf
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't grind it, I would use a generous layer of bedding tape. That will fill the nonskid, stick like crazy and is removable if/when.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

thataway

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have ground down the non skid on the ones I have installed-just the peaks. I use a 4 1/2" Milwaukee Angle grinder and for the fine work a Dremel or Rotozip, with flexible shaft.
Mike S

City/Region: Central
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1983
C-Dory Model: 22 Classic
Vessel Name: Weekend Getawave
Photos: Weekend Getawave
PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LesR,

I think you might have something like this in mind? More photos in my album.

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2818&id=13_mounted&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_photo.php
LesR

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,
Yes, that's essentially what I'm planning.
Will post my setup once finished.

Les
LesR

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We completed bolting down the Windlass and bow roller yesterday. I used a single piece of one-inch starboard, along with a single piece of quarter-inch aluminum for a backing plate. The setup allows the forward bolt on the bow roller to be just accessible at the front end of the anchor locker, while allowing full range of the bow roller without hitting the top of the bow.
More photos in the album.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions and recommendations!

Les Rohlf
thataway

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2021 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice solution. Looks good. Thanks for sharing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: