View previous topic :: View next topic  
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:32 pm    Post subject: USCG Announces New Engine Cut Off Switch Law Reply with quote

https://quimbyscruisingguide.com/coast-guard-announces-new-engine-cut-off-switch-law/?mc_cid=c0ff1e6b9f&mc_eid=14c53a5149
LesR

City/Region: St. Louis
State or Province: MO
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Intuition
Photos: Intuition
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't see it in the Quimby's article, but the USCG site linked from that article indicates:

Q11. Are there exemptions to the Engine Cut-Off Switch law?
A11. The laws are only applicable to recreational vessels, so they do not apply to law enforcement vessels or other government-owned vessels. There are two exemptions for recreational vessels. The first is there is no requirement to wear the Engine Cut-Off Switch Link if either the main helm of the covered vessel is installed within an enclosed cabin, or if the vessel does not have an engine cut-off switch and is not required to have one.

Les
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the following in the article:

"Using the ECOSL is not required when the main helm is installed within an enclosed cabin."

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its also not required if you are trolling. It does not say trolling but it does say under a certain speed. And its only for boats under 26ft.. yap the 27 ft cdory wins again
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
Its also not required if you are trolling. It does not say trolling but it does say under a certain speed. And its only for boats under 26ft.. yap the 27 ft cdory wins again

It says it is not required if the boat is not on plane.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if your not on plane you should be fishing.... why else would you slow down LOL
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those that enjoy reading gov't verbiage:

https://coastguardnews.com/coast-guard-announces-new-law-requiring-use-of-engine-cut-off-switches/2021/03/10/

Our dinghy never gets on a plane, so it's exempt too. Laughing

srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a piece of trivia...
I have a 26, as stated on my title and my registration. The factory spec says the boat is 25'9". This messes with the regs a little bit depending on how you read rules. The rule on the cut-off switch says less than 26' (though we already know that we are exempt, because we have a closed cabin to operate the boat from). The law also requires two of the smaller B1 or one B2 fire extinguishers, for 26 and above. Also an oil pollution placard and a garbage placard are required for 26 and above. This gives the 26 (Cape Cruise/Venture owners an opportunity to mess with the law enforcement boarding officers a bit.
This came to mind last year when I was boarded by the USCG, as I know how long the boat is, so it is easy to dispute, by showing them the manufactures data and also have them validate the length with a tape measure.
Did you know that the maritime industry messes with this very law of less than 26 feet on a daily basis? Take a look at the small (high horsepower tugs used for most maritime construction jobs. Even though these little guys can push a regular size, loaded barge, they do not require the operator to have a Captain's license, allowing the company to operate the tug, without paying the operator tug captain pay, or meeting other requirements of a larger tug.
Full disclosure, I was a USCG Boarding Officer and was once in group of the CG that taught citizens, State marine police, Federal marine police and USCG members the boating safety regulations.

OSPREY (Ex ADITI) 2007 26 Cape Cruiser 2018
srbaum

City/Region: Portsmouth
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Osprey
Photos: Osprey
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a piece of trivia...
I have a 26, as stated on my title and my registration. The factory spec says the boat is 25'9". This messes with the regs a little bit depending on how you read rules. The rule on the cut-off switch says less than 26' (though we already know that we are exempt, because we have a closed cabin to operate the boat from). The law also requires two of the smaller B1 or one B2 fire extinguishers, for 26 and above. Also an oil pollution placard and a garbage placard are required for 26 and above. This gives the 26 (Cape Cruise/Venture owners an opportunity to mess with the law enforcement boarding officers a bit.
This came to mind last year when I was boarded by the USCG, as I know how long the boat is, so it is easy to dispute, by showing them the manufactures data and also have them validate the length with a tape measure.
Did you know that the maritime industry messes with this very law of less than 26 feet on a daily basis? Take a look at the small (high horsepower tugs used for most maritime construction jobs. Even though these little guys can push a regular size, loaded barge, they do not require the operator to have a Captain's license, allowing the company to operate the tug, without paying the operator tug captain pay, or meeting other requirements of a larger tug.
Full disclosure, I was a USCG Boarding Officer and was once in group of the CG that taught citizens, State marine police, Federal marine police and USCG members the boating safety regulations.
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never figured out why some folks want to avoid complying with requirements that are there for their own safety -- ie, seatbelts in cars, helmets on motorcycles and pfds on boats. OH well, some just like to be contrary, or get by, or what ever. Maybe they have never been upclose and personal with what happens when things come unglued, go south or hit the fan, (depending on your preference).

This might be a good place to plug one of my favorite safety devices on board, the MOB+ by Fell Marine.

https://buy.fellmarine.com/collections/mob-wireless-man-overboard-system

Yes it is a pain to install, and it does take a few seconds to put the device on when You get on the boat, but it works and could be a lifesaver if you ever have an unplanned "unboarding" party.

Harvey
SleepyCMoon

starcrafttom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have never figured out why some folks want to avoid complying with requirements that are there for their own safety -- ie, seatbelts in cars, helmets on motorcycles and pfds on boats. OH well, some just like to be contrary, or get by, or what ever

Or maybe we are adults that can make their own decisions and live with the consequences. Not really any bodies else's business.

Quote:
The law also requires two of the smaller B1 or one B2 fire extinguishers, for 26 and above. Also an oil pollution placard and a garbage placard are required for 26 and above

at 27 ft I have all that already but I am except from this new silliness.[/url]
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so fast, you rebel!

You have to actually be inside the cabin for the enclosed helm to apply. If you are on step while at your aft controls then the lanyard would be required.

starcrafttom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would it? I mean that makes since but I dont think thats how it reads. I am only out back when trolling so it doe snot apply if not on step. Really just a silly set of rules that are not going to be enforced anyhow. But I can bet that the Everett " marine unit" also know as the " revenue providing unit" will be out in force at the dock and in the channel harassing's people this spring. I love cops but I hate when they are used by others to soley provide money when there are other concerns on going.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

starcrafttom wrote:
... Or maybe we are adults that can make their own decisions and live with the consequences. Not really any bodies else's business.

That would be great if the only person that was ever affected was the person making the decision.

Suppose you have a parent that decides not to wear a helmet and dies from a head injury because of not wearing a helmet while riding a motor cycle and orphans a child. What happens to the child?

Or suppose there is no helmet law and someone gets a head injury riding a motorcycle and is disabled. Sure as **it there'd be a lawsuit against someone about why there was no law requiring head protection when operating motorcycles.

Adults in America don't take responsibility for their decisions. If they go right, it's all "Hey, look how great I am!" If the decision goes wrong it's all "Hey, it's not my fault. I'm goin' sue!"

As soon as your personal decisions can affect me, they are no longer your personal decisions.
starcrafttom

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not going to rehash this here but your just plan wrong. Me not wearing a helmet seat belt etc is my business not the governments. I do think its a good idea. If we followed your lack of logic we would not be allowed out of our homes. people die with seat belt on every day. Why are they allowed to drive? why are they allowed to travel? because we still live in a free country. Your real problem is with law suits then I would suggest that you turn your attention to Legal reform and tort reform. Why is some one not wearing a seat belt, helmet ,. ordering hot coffee, climbing over the fence at the zoo even allowed to sue???

Most countries do not allow them too. I grew up long before any seat belt, helmet, riding in back of trucks, or other baby sitting laws were passed and guess what? we did just fine. How about you worry about you and I will worry about me. I do not effect your life not having a safety lanyard. And If in the event I do I should pay for all cost and damages to YOU. Not be fined for a non event that effected no one. have a nice day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Boating Safety All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: