The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Canada - US Border
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:22 pm    Post subject: Canada - US Border Reply with quote

A question often asked, is when will the border open again. Not anytime soon is the likely answer. With Covid cases still high on both sides of the border, there is no rush to open it soon. Covid cases in the US adjusted for population are 4 times higher in the US than in Canada and the death rate in the US is 3 times higher. But, where the US has us beat is in vaccinations. The US is still a couple of months ahead of Canada. The problem is that we are not producing our own Covid vaccine and we have to relay on supplies coming mostly from Europe, the US and India. The Europeans and especially the US is holding onto their supplies very tightly and don't want to share very much with other countries. Our health system is ramped up and ready to go, but supply is still the biggest holdup. The supplies are increasing rapidly now. Canada hopes to have the entire adult population vaccinated by the end of September. Judy and I are scheduled for our first shot later this week. So what does this mean if you want to vacation in Canada this summer. You are probably best to make other plans and hold off on coming north this year. Next ski season might be open, but I wouldn't put a deposit down on a trip just yet. I have no plans to travel outside of Canada this year, but hopefully a couple of weeks in Hawaii next winter might be possible.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/canada-border-restriction-reopening-1.5948695

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter and Judy,

You are doing well as you will be able to get your shots before us. Because we are just under 65 years of age and being residents of Oregon, we are not eligible for our Covid vaccination until June 1st of this year.

We have come to accept that travel in Canada this year will probably not happen. Too bad. Your waters are wonderful to travel in. Maybe next year?

To everyone, stay healthy, stay positive and take things one day at a time concerning travel plans for the future!

kennharriet

City/Region: Grangeville
State or Province: ID
C-Dory Year: 1999
Vessel Name: Lochsa
Photos: Lochsa
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is great that both governments are being cautious about the pandemic, As time and understanding of the science and risks/benefits of shutdowns is better understood, it becomes more obvious that many more have suffered from the economic impacts than the physical and mental health impacts of Covid. Until the political entities of both our governments come to grips with reality, many good citizens of both country’s will work within the confines of regulations to travel as appropriate. Unfortunately many individuals and families dependent on the travel trade will suffer unnecessarily, as boaters transit Canada without supporting the economy.
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have several elderly relatives in Canada. We visited annually until last year. My uncle passed away and there was no funeral.

I will not express my opinion here, but I think it’s reasonable to conclude that endless lockdowns, shutdowns, and restrictions are not the only option.
Peter & Judy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You are doing well as you will be able to get your shots before us.

I was lucky on the vaccine since under the normal timeline we probably would not get our vaccine until late April or May based on our age. But the Canadian Government got a shipment of 1 million doses of the Astra-Zeneca from India that had to be used by the expiry date of April 1 and only for people under 65. I was hesitant at first, as I live on a ranch and felt those high risk people should have the opportunity to get it first. Then yesterday the government put out an appeal to have more people get this vaccine as there were still doses available. So we called and yes they could fit us in in a town 230 kms north of us on Thursday. I had planned to ski in the Rockies on Thursday and the drive would be almost as far. So given that option and the thought that I might be able to hug my 89 year old mother at Easter (she got vaccinated a week ago) or wait until sometime in May. I decided to make the drive. I have to look at a potential new bison breeding bull about an hour from the vaccine site, so I'll get the jab and then check out a possible bull for the herd at the same time. Win, win in my books.

Shutting down the economy and keeping the borders closed is a hard decision to make. But, as case numbers have dropped and the death rate lowered, largely due to vaccinations of the long term care residents, the number of variant cases is rising steeply and bringing on a third wave in parts of Canada. Alberta currently has close to 1000 variant cases, many of these travel related. I had hoped to travel to Vancouver Island, as we often do in April, to get away from the long Alberta winters, paddle the kayak, peddle the bike and visit Judy's family. But, travel is discouraged, even interprovincial travel, so we decided that it was not the right thing to do and are staying home. We hope to travel out to the coast with Mistaya in June to cruise in the Broughtons, but that to is still somewhat up in the air. I think the next few months are critical in getting this pandemic under control and I am willing to do my part, stay close to home, minimize contact with others and get vaccinated. Then this to shall pass. My parents went through the second world war in Germany, my father fought on the Russian Front and they endured far more hardships than we have over the past year. Life could be worse and need to count our blessings.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love data. I wonder what it says about mitigating the spread of COVID 19 when similar protocols are in place on both sides of the border? In other words, other than the obvious optics, is there even a real reason to keep it closed?
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news for you and the extra 1M doses for everyone. It will be great when Canada starts vaccinating all seniors! I feel some guilt visiting my older father this weekend but fingers crossed he will get vaccinated by mid April.

I’ll be lobbying hard for the boarder opening up for the vaccinated but I think both countries will be cautious on that.

Protocols unfortunately aren’t stopping Italy from going back into lock down so it will be a while. Likely July at the earliest? Two weeks self isolating on a boat may be a pretty good protocol but I would sure want to stretch my legs if I was in a 16!
Peter & Judy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my Astra-Zeneca vaccine yesterday. This morning my arm is a little sore and I feel a little off, but I also feel grateful that I will be one step closer to ending this Covid crisis.

I had to drive to Camrose 230 kms north of my home as they had extra doses there. I arrived 5 minutes before my appointment, they checked my Alberta Health Care information, then ushered me into the room, where the nurse went over information about the vaccine and possible side effects, then to the waiting room for a 15 minute wait. 25 minute later I was on the road again. It was all very efficient.

When I was getting the vaccination, I asked the nurse if the Bill Gates Microchip was included in the shot and she insured me that it was. It's nice to have a free upgrade to my operating system.

On the drive home we stopped at another bison ranch and bought a new breeding bull, so all in all a good day.
kaelc

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we can figure out some tuna for bison trades when this is all over?
Peter & Judy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I would be in to that, so long as there were a few fishing lessons included.
crazy4salmon

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: C-Therapy
Photos: C-Therapy
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Southern border is open. Just walk across. Think I will just head north and fish this weekend. Wink
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind...
kaelc

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter & Judy wrote:
Quote:

I would be in to that, so long as there were a few fishing lessons included.

Sounds like a deal. With business being slow for me fishing lessons are available! A good day on the water better then any day in the office.

Rumours of my wife getting vaccinated in BC soon, as she is a vice principle. I’ll check in with some tourism buddies to see how their talks with government are going for opening up the boarder.
Peter & Judy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone is wondering why Canada needs to still keep the border closed with the United States, here is one reason.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/22/us/miami-beach-state-of-emergency/index.html
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2021 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter & Judy wrote:
If anyone is wondering why Canada needs to still keep the border closed with the United States, here is one reason.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/22/us/miami-beach-state-of-emergency/index.html

A fine example of why we are still not ahead of the curve, nationally. Doing our own thing keeps passing the bug, and each pass now is a chance for a new mutation, and further spread.

I would love to be going North this summer, but I sure get why Canada says no. Hopefully next year.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: