The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

To cover or not to cover?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andesite

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Ski-Dory
Photos: Ski-Dory
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:27 pm    Post subject: To cover or not to cover? Reply with quote

I recently purchased a very nice 22' C-Dory up here in Alaska and I'm researching covers. Angola seems to be a popular choice, and I got a quote for a full-size cover (not a cockpit cover). However, I've heard some folks say that "boats need to breathe", which I take to mean a covered boat is will likely mold, etc. However, I'm more concerned about sun damage to the gel coat, standing water in the cockpit (I do have a bilge wired straight to the battery), etc.

What is the general consensus on covering a moored or trailered fiberglass C-Dory? For reference, it will stored on a trailer in Seward and Anchorage. Plenty of long sunny/rainy days in both places).
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long term? I would cover. Short term, like weekend to weekend? It probably should still be done but I'm lazy and often solo and they are a pain in the butt. Boats do need ventilation for sure, but I'd rather scrub a little gunk off periodically and know I have a boat protected from the elements.

BTW, where are you going to store in Seward? I've considered it, but it's the same drive with the boat in tow as it is without the boat in tow making it really hard for me to do. I love Seward - it is a great place to test your captain's skills and the limits of the CD 22 Smile
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cover to protect the boat. But my covers have had vents in them. Colby
Schuster

City/Region: Port Orchard
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Sea Witch
Photos: Sea Witch
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 10:53 am    Post subject: Cover Reply with quote

Ive had many boats over the years and have learned the hard way on occasion. I covered one of my boats up tightly for the winter with the drain port open. I ended up with a moldy mess when I uncovered it in the spring. No air flow. My son and his wife went out of state to work and decided to leave one of their vehicles at my house. The got this silver light weight high tech tarp and covered it up tightly. They put a bucket of Dries It crystals inside it. I figured this was going to end disasterously, Not so, I checked on it occasionally and it came thru in fantastic shape. So, I would get a bucket or two of Dries It from the auto parts store and cover the boat.
That having been said, I personally park my boat under a metal shed with siding half way down so there is plenty of air circulation and don't have any problems. Good luck.
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep mine covered in one of my farm machine sheds. It is an open front building that houses my tractor and truck camper. This keeps the snow and rain off the boat and most of the sun. Anything stored indoors stays in better shape. I think air circulation is a good idea, so I would not cover it to tightly. When we bought out boat in Whitehorse, Yukon we decided to store it there over the winter and pick it up in the spring. We had it shrink wrapped and that worked well, but I would never do it again as it is expensive and I hate to see all that plastic waste. Also Whitehorse if quite dry, like it is here in Alberta so there were no problems with mold. If and when I move to the coast I will build some sort of shed for the boat or get one of those plastic tarp sheds for cars. A bit of heat and air circulation would also be a consideration. Something I don't have to worry about in our bone dry climate here in Alberta.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said, I've covered my boats with a custom made cover out of Sunbrella or other like material. They've had vents put in them. I'll also usually leave the cabin wndows open a crack or so. Then I place downy fabric sheets to keep the mice at bay. And some of the dryer chemical and recently purchased a small dehumidifier fan. (It's basically a low wattage heater with a fan.) I cover the boat 4 months out of the year here in Wisconsin, which has some humidity. I have not had any problems doing that. The cover keeps the snow off and protects the boat from the elements. I will clear the snow off after every snowfall. Colby
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a custom sunbrella cover for my 22. It is tied down to the trailer. It is not an air tight cover, plus the sunbrella breathes a bit. I have the accesses to the interior of the boat taped off when it is stored.

In the summer I sometimes get tiny dark spots on the exterior in some places under the cover. This is mildew that can grow in the moist areas under the cover. The spots come off in a good wash. Don't have any problem with mildew in the interior though.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just ordered another Sunbrella cover form Angola today. The other one lasted 10 years until the stitching gave out. Richard recommended Aqualon but my concern was like yours; mold/mildew growth due to trapped moisture under the cover. The Aqualon does not "breathe". And the PNW is notoriously, uh, "wet".

I also upgraded the thread he uses to Tanara. Not cheap but hopefully it will last longer. The material on our old one looked like crap (dirt, mold, mildew etc) but was still keeping the boat dry, despite zero water-repellent left.

We keep our 25 on the trailer in our driveway. I pretty much cover it when it's not being used. I feel it helps the gelcoat etc last longer.

And since I'm in the middle of a complete buff/wax anything to lessen this type of maintenance is good, IMO.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

localboy wrote:
I just ordered another Sunbrella cover form Angola today. The other one lasted 10 years until the stitching gave out. Richard recommended Aqualon but my concern was like yours; mold/mildew growth due to trapped moisture under the cover. The Aqualon does not "breathe". And the PNW is notoriously, uh, "wet".

I also upgraded the thread he uses to Tanara. Not cheap but hopefully it will last longer. The material on our old one looked like crap (dirt, mold, mildew etc) but was still keeping the boat dry, despite zero water-repellent left.

We keep our 25 on the trailer in our driveway. I pretty much cover it when it's not being used. I feel it helps the gelcoat etc last longer.

And since I'm in the middle of a complete buff/wax anything to lessen this type of maintenance is good, IMO.

The "standard" C-Dory cover from Angola only comes down to the rub strip (more or less). I had mine extended down to the fenders on my trailer (about another 3 feet). That way it covers most of the boat. The extra cost to extend the cover is basically just the cost of the extra material. Angola Canvas is pretty accommodating when making custom modifications to the stock pattern (especially when you get them in the slow season).
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sunbrella lasts longer if you wash it every year, then spray (saturate) with 303 fabric protectorate. Canvas can be re sewn--but the Gore Tex type of threat (Tenara is one type, will last about 2 x as long as the Dacron thread normally used.

Any boat AK (or any other place which has freeze/thaw cycles.) needs to be under cover during the winter

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Technical Discussions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: