View previous topic :: View next topic  
daninPA

City/Region: MOUNT JOY
State or Province: PA
C-Dory Year: 1994
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: NAVIRE
Photos: daninPA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 7:05 pm    Post subject: Our new (to us) C-Dory Reply with quote

We arrived home this morning after a whirlwind 3 days of driving. We live in Lancaster County, Pennsylvania, and purchased a 22' Cruiser we saw in Savannah, Georgia (700 miles). We had committed to buying and sent a deposit but needed to schedule a time to drive down, take it out on the water, and then drive it back.
After seriously considering renting or borrowing a truck, we decided to hasten the replacement of our 2013 Accord Coupe (manual, 6 speed, V6) a car with a 2020 Chevy Silverado with a Duramax 3.0L diesel.
So this would be our first long trip with the truck, our first time towing with this truck, and our first C-Dory (and first boat longer than our 18' canoe).
The trip down was uneventful but long. The truck averaged 30 MPG driving a steady 70 MPH (plus, in some stretches). It was quiet, comfortable, efficient, and spacious. I soon became very pleased with our new purchase. Janet and I took shifts and she really liked driving it. The ride and handling of today's trucks is amazing (our last truck was a 2005 F150).
We arrived in Savanna Friday afternoon and Lorin let us know he'd be available after 4 if we wanted to do the familiarization and sale sooner (we had planned on Saturday).
We agreed, met him at the storage yard where we first saw it, then followed him over to the local river where there was a boat ramp more suitable for bass boats and kayaks. No matter -- in minutes the boat was in the water.
I was surprised at how big the boat looked when following behind the trailer. What had we done?
We climbed aboard, started it up, and while Lorin parked the trailer I maneuvered it to the dock. The 4 stroke Yamaha started immediately, was quiet, and the throttles were responsive and fine (I was used to our 14' open runabout Starcraft with a 2 stroke 35 HP Johnson). Lorin climbed aboard and we launched out into the river. With three of us aboard it still felt spacious. With the cabin door closed it felt like we were insulated from the wind and engine noise -- a truly a remarkable sensation!
We walked through and tested all the different systems, from engine to generator to windlass to grill. Everything was new or nearly new and worked as expected. I tested out the engine and control responsiveness. The Garmin indicated 29 MPH and it was not yet at full throttle! We were on plane in very little time and the transition was uneventful.
The sunset was looming so we headed back to the ramp. We pulled it from the water, towed it out, hooked it up to our truck, exchanged the paperwork, and headed down the road to our hotel. The next morning after working through a few trailer peculiarities we were on the road northbound on I-95.
The Silverado diesel averaged 15 MPG for most of the trip (a steady 70 MPH with some stretches at 65 and others up to 73 MPH), with a high of 17.5 MPG on the last stretch near home (where speed limits were 45-55 MPH).
We learned two lessons -- choose fueling stops wisely (one had enormous bollards that constricted turning and made leaving the pumps an exercise in micro-adjustments) and Hotels according to parking lots (the last in Woodbridge, VA had a tiny back deck with no room for looping around -- so a lot of maneuvering to be able to back up and pull out).
The truck never felt labored or underpowered. It was weird seeing the giant mass looming behind us, and not much fun being passed by rogue tractor trailers doing 90, or slowing suddenly for the clueless people merging onto a busy highway at 50 MPH with no thought of actually integrating into the existing traffic flow, but 700 miles later I feel like I know the truck and the trailer.
Like any boat and trailer there are things I plan to upgrade or replace, but who doesn't? We are truly looking forward to getting this boat out on the water (current plans are to make Aberdeen Proving Ground marina the "home port"). We are also thankful for a helpful, straightforward seller who clearly put tie and money into this boat. Finally, I'm thankful for C-Brats for having a C-Dorys for Sale forum!
DayBreak

City/Region: Monmouth, Or.
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 2018
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: DayBreak
Photos: DayBreak
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daninPA,

Congratulations on the purchase of your 22 Cruiser. You did everything correct as a prospective buyer with making a deposit on the boat even before your sea trial. There has been much interest in the last year for the purchase of a used C-Dory and it seems we are in a sellers market with boats selling fast and at asking prices.

Thanks for the information on the satisfaction of your Chevy with the new 3 litre diesel. Ford and Dodge also have 3 litre diesel offerings and the fuel economy and quality of ride is appealing for anyone considering a modest tow to about 9,000 lb.

Looking forward to seeing some photos of boating travel with your 22 Cruiser in a C-Brats album. Contact our administrators on this site and they will help you get started.

daninPA

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I certainly will post pictures! (I may have a few).

Smile
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danin,

Congrats on your new ride(s)! Great choices!

Trailer tires are the bane of a trailer boaters existentialism.

Check the DOT required date code on each trailer tire (week of mfg indicated by letters, then year). Trailer tires lose 30% of structural integrity at just 3 years from date of mfg, and it goes down fast from there.

The max speed rating for 99.9% of trailer tires is 65 MPH. Check yours (embossed on your tires) and Obey. One of the rare exceptions is Goodyear Endurance ST tires with an ‘N’ speed rating of 87 MPH, but we never tow our TC255 at 87 MPH. Our rig likes 62 MPH, plus or minus 2 MPH, so that is the speed we tow at. (In the context that ‘Yes, Dear’, is often the CORRECT answer in many other situations, if you know what I mean).

You will eventually find a speed that your rig ‘likes’ as indicated by a feeling of steering wheel stability, lack of wandering (except when being passed by big rigs), less vibration, less fatigue for you the driver, etc. Don’t fight what your rig likes; that is a losing battle...for you, not your rig.

Hope this is helpful, it took me 40 years to learn this lesson through 13 trailer boats.

Happy Trailering!
John

T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey awesome! New boats are so exciting and fun. I'm sure you landed a great boat.
crazy4salmon

City/Region: Bellingham
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: C-Therapy
Photos: C-Therapy
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2021 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the new rigs! 2021 is starting out right. For your first boat bigger than an 18' canoe. You did well. Now let the priceless fun begin. Thumbs Up
daninPA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all for the kind words and welcome.

I have the trailer in for an inspection and system check. The wheel bearings are actually in very good shape — I greased them before departure and all 4 still had plenty of grease 700 miles later. I checked hub and tire temps at every stop and no wheel/hub/tire was even warm.

Tire pressure was rather low, but that was soon remedied. I checked the tire dates and all are <3 years.

I had to remount the side bunks and will replace them (although they are merely protective, not weight bearing).

The hand winch might get upgraded to an electric (not necessary, but could be useful on certain ramps).

The lights and wiring are new. I reworked the ground wire connection and sealed it.

How are most tying/ strapping down your C-Dorys? I drove it back with no transom tie downs, etc, but wonder if they’re needed?
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daninPA wrote:
... How are most tying/ strapping down your C-Dorys? I drove it back with no transom tie downs, etc, but wonder if they’re needed?

If you don't have transom straps you have a single point of failure in securing your boat to the trailer. Also, a C-Dory is not all the heavy (in the grand scheme of things). It can be a bit bouncy on the trailer (mine is). I have seen my boat shift a bit (based on the looseness of some straps after a tow).

There may be some local laws about securing loads on trailers you should look up. But IMO, the more straps the better.
PaulNBriannaLynn

City/Region: Fort White
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Lorelei
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that boat, I was following along with Loren while he fixed that one up before we moved from Savannah.. it turned out awesome!! Congrats on the purchase!

That should serve you well for many years. When we bought our c-dory it wasn't cheap but the memories we've made on it over the years are absolutely priceless.

TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations! Good to hear the trip went so well and all is as good or better than expected.
DayBreak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daninPA wrote:

How are most tying/ strapping down your C-Dorys? I drove it back with no transom tie downs, etc, but wonder if they’re needed?

In an accident, you will wish you had them otherwise you may find your boat parked on the side of the road or maybe even on top of you.

They secure gear inside your boat from shifting while underway by keeping the boat from bouncing and suffering chafe damage.

Ratchet or cam style straps will secure your boat to the trailer very securely.
daninPA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulNBriannaLynn wrote:
I know that boat, I was following along with Loren while he fixed that one up before we moved from Savannah.. it turned out awesome!! Congrats on the purchase!

Yes he did. We're happy with the boat. The trailer needs some work to get up to my comfort level, and so it's in a shop now for those various items.

PaulNBriannaLynn wrote:
That should serve you well for many years. When we bought our c-dory it wasn't cheap but the memories we've made on it over the years are absolutely priceless.

Thanks! Yes, we feel the same -- it's truly an investment in real equity: experiences, good times, adventures, travel, and friendships.
daninPA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DayBreak wrote:

Where are you placing your tie downs?
DayBreak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daninPA wrote:
DayBreak wrote:

Where are you placing your tie downs?

Photo 'Build 9' in our 'Build Pictures' C-Brats DayBreak album show the factory installed stern eye placement in the top outside area of the transom. We secure the boat directly from these stern eyes to the galvanized tie-down bracket on the EZ Loader trailer. If your trailer does not have these tie-down brackets, they can be easily installed on your trailer. Attached link below.

https://www.etrailer.com/Boat-Trailer-Parts/CE-Smith/CE26214G.html
daninPA

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DayBreak wrote:
Photo 'Build 9' in our 'Build Pictures' C-Brats DayBreak album show the factory installed stern eye placement in the top outside area of the transom. We secure the boat directly from these stern eyes to the galvanized tie-down bracket on the EZ Loader trailer. If your trailer does not have these tie-down brackets, they can be easily installed on your trailer. Attached link below.

Very helpful, thanks! I ordered transom tiedowns.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: