The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2006 cruises
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings
View previous topic :: View next topic  
B~C

City/Region: Bend
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1999
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Blue~C
Photos: Blue~C
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: 2006 cruises Reply with quote

Drat, that boat show has me chomping at the bit, is it to early to rough out a cruise schedule for the year. Cathalamet is on the calander and it sounds like Poulsbo is jelling, what about Lopez, Blakley and the others?
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 2006 cruises Reply with quote

I was going to post a similar thought. It is NOT too early to try to lay out the cruise schedule (or schedules, no longer just PNW to consider). Some are fixtures, some are jelling as new ones, some have been run up the flagpole but don't seem to have come together. It seems to me we might be able to use a CBGT (C-Brat Get Together) schedule page that is updated as dates get fixed, or maybe that is just the Event Signup page. (How about it, Mike and Bill?) Pardon my PNW-centricity, that is where I am, so here goes.

I assume somebody has or shortly will be in touch with Lopez for the May deal. Who has done that in the past? And Sequim Bay State Park in October, right Jon and C-Lou? Blakely is unlike, Fred can supply the details, but it seems that the resort is in fact closed, so it looks like a replacement needs to be found for that . The rest? Poulsbo looks like a deal for March. I sure like the idea of Lake Chelan in August. Other thoughts?

B~C wrote:
Drat, that boat show has me chomping at the bit, is it to early to rough out a cruise schedule for the year. Cathalamet is on the calander and it sounds like Poulsbo is jelling, what about Lopez, Blakley and the others?

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm hoping to spend a couple weekends out at Sekiu or Neah Bay come August, September. After all that was my main reason for getting the C-Dory! Fishing! I'm pretty sure Roger (SeaDNA) will be out there during that time frame as well. Perhaps we could put together a little gathering out that way?

I'm going to be up in the Kamloops area the the third week of August so that puts getting to the coast a little tight.

Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in on a neah bay / sekiu gathering. I love it out there. Last year was my first year out there, and I'll definitly go a bunch this year, the fishing was fantastic. I also am interested in a bunch of the other ones but Neah tops my list for taking vacation days from work. Lopez in may too, that's around when halibut opens up in the straight...hopefully. Anyone do the hood canal when it opens for shrimp? I am ready to plan my year as well. Good idea to get it all on a calendar.

Sark
R-Matey

City/Region: Bow
Vessel Name: R-Matey
Photos: R-Matey
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:31 pm    Post subject: Bellingham? Reply with quote

Today Joe and I looked at Blaine and Bellingham quest moorages. Talked with both Harbormasters (not just the Bellingham phone person in the office like last time who didn't know very much).

Both Blaine and Bellingham have nice clean facilities.

At Blaine we'd be welcome with open arms. 800 straight feet of guest moorage but anyone going to their boats on any of the connecting docks would have to pass by us. Blaine has a room we could use but the cost is $190 for an evening. If alcohol was consumed in that room, then we'd have to have a banquet permit.

So we thought we'd take a look at Bellingham again and after speaking with their Harbormaster and looking at one of their quest docks (they have three), we think that if we can get the use of U Dock at Gate 12, we'd have more privacy, access to several restaurants (including Anthonys), a nice hotel for those that won't have their boat at that time, and other ammenities.

The cost is $12 per night minimum (up to 24 feet). I think that includes the electricity, too.

The Squalicum boat launch is just around the corner from this dock. The cost to launch is $5.00 and no charge (at this time) to park your vehicle and trailer (up to three days). There is an extra parking lot (south and across the street from the main paved parking lot).

The Bellingham Harbormaster checked his calendar. At this time the following dates are available for July and August:

July 14-16
August 11-13

So if anyone is interested in doing this, please let me know ASAP as I have to turn in a written request. The July dates could take the place of our former Blakely event.

Ruth
R-Matey
TyBoo

City/Region: Warrenton
State or Province: OR
C-Dory Year: 1996
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: TyBoo
Photos: TyBoo
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, Ruth. Thank you very much.

The weekend of July 14-16 is great for us. And we will even be there this year! What we are hoping is to get three weeks vacation in July and spend most of it in the SJs. Maybe even some time in the GIs. Having a massive CBGT right sqaure in the middle of it would be fantastic.

Jon - CLou

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1986
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Lou
Photos: C-Lou and Pee Wee
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe and Ruth, that's a great idea and July 14th-16th sounds good to me. Thumbs Up

Pat, Sequim gig is usually the first weekend in October and I'll be glad to get things going when time gets closer.
Robbi

City/Region: Chambers Bay
C-Dory Year: 2023
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Photos: C-Run
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruth and Joe, Thanks for doing all of the work. The weekend of July 14-16 will work well for me. The two weddings will be completed, and I will be ready for a cruise. Robbi

2003 C-Dory 19
sold 2019

2004 C-Dory 16 Cruiser
Sold 8/2015

2004 C-Dory 19 "C-Run"
Sold 8/2011

1989 C-Dory 16 Angler
Sold 2010
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm starting to think about when to hit Neah Bay also. Last year, I did the first 9 days of August and that was great. This year though, I'm tentatively scheduled to teach and attend a conference in Brazil (on the coast in Fortaleza) from August 4-11 (I know, it's a tough job but someone has to di it Wink ). I'm also hosting a conference for about 400 in early Sept. so I need to make sure all the details for that are in place in August. Bottom line, I'll probably have to do my Neah Bay fishing in mid-to-late July (it really sucks having to fit in work around good boating and fishing opportunties)...

So for Neah Bay, I'm thinking something in the July 21 - Aug 1 time frame and I will probably spend about 9 days there spanning one weekend. If things are the same as last year with the fishing regs., Sun and Mon will require fishing in Area 5 as area 4 will be closed Sun and Mon. Hence if I spend more than 1 week there I want to have only one Sun/Mon in the time span. I'd love to have other CD company out there. I'll probably also do one 3-day weekend earlier in July and am planning to get out there sometime in May for the halibut season. Last year in August we brought 3 nice hali to the boat that I couldn't keep (70#, 30# and 20#) and throwing that much good fish back in made me want to be out there when they are in season. For Hali, having another CD to go out with me would be great as some places are a bit offshore and a "buddy boat" is a nice safety feature.

Also, I mentioned on another thread what that Port Ludlow is a nice place that would be a great for a gathering and is a nice launching spot for Hood Canal shrimp. If things are the same as last year, the first day for shrimping should be the first Sat. in May or May 6th this year. Shrimping should be open all over the sound on May 6th so it's also possible to get them without the longer cruise to the Hood Canal.

Roger on the SeaDNA

R-Matey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:37 pm    Post subject: Bellingham in July Reply with quote

July 14-16 sure sounds like a plan. Tomorrow we'll check back with the B'Ham Harbormaster to confirm dates and dock space.

Ruth and Joe
R-Matey
Cutty Sark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to do alot of three day weekends at Neah/Sekiu, that way I can stretch out the vacation a bit. We were planning on doing the halibut thing there too, so maybe we could hook up for that. And definitly end of july probably all through august I'll head out there almost every weekend. So I will see you there (roger) I'm sure. I did last year. It seems like the fishing was a little slow early last year. Have you fished it that early before? I know last year was a bad year though, everything was late. We hit it a couple times from early to mid august and it was on fire for coho with some kings mixed in. But earlier will proabably be better for kings. As far as the canal goes I usually hit the area around the great bend/ dewatto as we have a cabin there in tahuya, so for the short time it's open we will probably head there, others would be welcome to come by for some shrimp on the barbie, or a couple cold ones. We have a nice fire pit, and it's right on the water,but we'll have to see what days it will be open, it's getting shorter every year. I would also like to try shrimping closer to home sometime . And bellingham sounds like it would be fun, will have to try to make that one too.

Summer's filling up quick
Sark
rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutty Sark wrote:
I'm going to do alot of three day weekends at Neah/Sekiu, that way I can stretch out the vacation a bit. We were planning on doing the halibut thing there too, so maybe we could hook up for that. And definitly end of july probably all through august I'll head out there almost every weekend. So I will see you there (roger) I'm sure. I did last year. It seems like the fishing was a little slow early last year. Have you fished it that early before?

I fished it in early July last year and the fishing for coho was great. They were on the small side 3-4 lbs, but limits were easy to come by and the mark rate was high one in four or five.

Cutty Sark wrote:
I know last year was a bad year though, everything was late. We hit it a couple times from early to mid august and it was on fire for coho with some kings mixed in. But earlier will proabably be better for kings. As far as the canal goes I usually hit the area around the great bend/ dewatto as we have a cabin there in tahuya, so for the short time it's open we will probably head there, others would be welcome to come by for some shrimp on the barbie, or a couple cold ones. We have a nice fire pit, and it's right on the water,but we'll have to see what days it will be open, it's getting shorter every year. I would also like to try shrimping closer to home sometime . And bellingham sounds like it would be fun, will have to try to make that one too.

Summer's filling up quick
Sark

Hmmmm - visiting you in Tahuya sounds cool. Where's the nearest palce to launch and moor and how's the shrimping down there? I've shrimped in area 10 and near Brinnon but never that far south in the hood canal.

Roger on the SeaDNA
Cutty Sark

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm - visiting you in Tahuya sounds cool. Where's the nearest palce to launch and moor and how's the shrimping down there? I've shrimped in area 10 and near Brinnon but never that far south in the hood canal.

Roger on the SeaDNA[/quote]

The shrimping has been pretty good we have got our limits or real close every time. But there are lots of boats, I mean lots... the Dewatto area seems very popular, but we had a spot somewhat out of the crowd that did well for us. As I said we hit that area nmore for convienance as it's only a 15 -20 min boat ride from tahuya. Launches are the tough part in that area on the canal. One is real close at Summertide resort, which is just down the street from my cabin, but the launch is rough, I mean rough. No dock along side or the ones they have usually have some gelcoat grabbing metal things sticking out the side. If you power off and on it's doable. My buddies launch thier 23 foot glassply so a CD is definitly not too big. But there is also another launch closer to belfair( about 10 miles from cabin) it has a nice dock but isn't real steep so on a lower tide you have to put your trailer way in. And it's about a 20 min run to my cabin from there. I've launched at both, I tend towards the belfair launch because I like nice docks.. As far as a place to moor, Summertide is right there, and has decent docks, not sure if they have power though. Probably a better or nicer place to dock is just across the canal from tahuya at Alderbrook, they redid the place a couple years back and it's really nice. I believe they have power,(and a pool) and is much higher class than the rustic Summertide. But both places fill up for shrimping so you'd want to reserve your place ahead of time. As soon as we get the opening dates I'll make a plan as far as when I'm going and I'll let you(and anyone) who is interested know. Usually it's a very short season open 4 days in may, two weekdays and two weekend days is the norm.

As far as Neah we will meet you out there in July, I am so primed for that place. As it gets closer and you've made your plans let me know and I'll be there.
It will be my first year fishing for halibut but I'm excited for that too. My fishing club has a trip planned for La push on opening weekend so I will probably be there the first weekend, or Neah if the weather is bad since you can hide from it a bit in the straight and can avoid a bar crossing.
Now I just need to figure when to head to the SJ's with the family!

Sark
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruth and Joe - good work! We love Squalicum, launch there more than anywhere else, so we are all over it for the July 14 date (after I check with the Social Director, that is...), and it is a nice convenient jumping off place for an easy day cruise out Hale Passage to Matia, Sucia, Patos and/or Stuart... Dinner at Anthony's on Friday, a potluch Saturday, the Bellweather Hotel is right there too, "I love it when a plan comes together" (Hannibal, the A-Team) Parking CAN be an issue in July, might be a wise plan to launch at Blaine and motor down to B'ham, just a thought.
R-Matey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Port of Bellingham/Squalicum Reply with quote

Typed up a letter and took it down to the Harbormasters office this morning. Requested dates of July 14-16 Have not received a confirmation as the Harbormaster was in a meeting somewhere. Will know more tomorrow.

Anthony's on Friday night would be excellent. Been trying to think of someplace good to have breakfast Sunday morning. Will wait for date confirmation though before I get carried away with plans.

Ruth (and Joe, too)
R-Matey
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Brat Cruises and Gatherings All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: