View previous topic :: View next topic  
clayhubler

City/Region: La Center
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Hammerhead
Photos: Hammerhead
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:49 pm    Post subject: iPad info Reply with quote

Hi Brats,

I'm in need of an iPad and don't know anything about 'em. I just got a drone and turns out my phone is so outdated that I can't fly it. So I thought I would get an iPad instead, cuz the screen is a lot bigger.
I want to also be able to use it for backup navigation on Hammerhead, and this is where I need help. I thought I read that some iPads and tablets do not have gps capability. Can anybody point me in the right direction?
And what navigation program works the best? I have a garmin chartplotter, so I already have navionics for my primary.

Thanks all,
Clay

jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get an IPad mini one that has Cel service but you don’t have to turn on the service for gps to work. A full size IPad is to heavy to use with the controller the balance will feel funny. Witch drone did you buy.

clayhubler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mavic air 2

A cell capable iPad is a completely different unit from a non cell capable? Correct that I want a smaller unit, I think the tablet holder will only do a 10 inch tablet.
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the drone anything will work it doesn't need to be Cell capable. The bigger tablets just get a little more cumbersome. Then you will need a sun shield because the pad isn't bright enough in full sun light. I would get DJI's smart controller but there $750.00 the screen is twice as bright as an Ipad. Brightness really counts it's hard to frame the shot when you can barely see the screen. Only the cell capable Ipad has the GPS chip in it you need that for the mapping.
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jkidd wrote:
For the drone anything will work it doesn't need to be Cell capable. The bigger tablets just get a little more cumbersome. Then you will need a sun shield because the pad isn't bright enough in full sun light. I would get DJI's smart controller but there $750.00 the screen is twice as bright as an Ipad. Brightness really counts it's hard to frame the shot when you can barely see the screen. Only the cell capable Ipad has the GPS chip in it you need that for the mapping.

You also need a data connection. This is either your phone or the tablet on the controller. Data connection is needed for the map (although you may be able to download maps ahead of time) and for a connection to LAANC and possibly to unlock the drone if you are in a geofenced area.

You can search online for which tablet has the brightest screen (there are drone sites that compare them). Get the brightest one you an afford. Absolute minimum is 500 nits and that is barely usable in bright sunlight. A sunshade and antiglare screen help.

I use a 7" tablet when flying my drone.
clayhubler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I'm leaning toward the ipad mini. I almost bought the smart controller when I bought the drone, but didn't. I really should have, as it was cheaper when bundled together. I didn't realize my phone wasn't even going to work at the time...

I suppose I may have to get or make some kind of sunshade for it.
SnowTexan

City/Region: Carlton
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Miss Maria
Photos: Miss Maria
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clayhubler wrote:
Thanks for the info. I'm leaning toward the ipad mini. I almost bought the smart controller when I bought the drone, but didn't. I really should have, as it was cheaper when bundled together. I didn't realize my phone wasn't even going to work at the time...

I suppose I may have to get or make some kind of sunshade for it.

I have a full sized ipad with navionics. Navionics is new to me but I have been using onx and other land based gps mapping for a few years with apple phones and ipads. Love the mini but for navigation on a boat it is too small for my terrible vision. You absolutely need a cellular capable tablet to have native gps capability, and as previously posted you do NOT have to subscribe to a data plan with the tablet for the gps to function. I load maps over wifi at home or using my phone as a mobile hotspot if I need something added on the fly. I dont know anything about drones, so cant speak to the overlapping functionality of an ipad as drone remote(?) and navigation instrument. I run my ipad with navionics, onx, and it has an anchor watch app. I have irrational fears of Mandatory updates to netflix or some pinball game app locking up the tablet while i’m trying to negotiate a tricky area or plan a route. Happy to let you test drive it if you are on the Dry side this spring!
B95054

City/Region: Maple Ridge
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call me cheap but I just creat a wifi hotspot on my iPhone and then connect the iPad to it wirelessly. Saves me having to pay for an added cellular service.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B95054 wrote:
Call me cheap but I just creat a wifi hotspot on my iPhone and then connect the iPad to it wirelessly. Saves me having to pay for an added cellular service.

That works fine if you just want internet access on your non-cellular capable iPad. However, that still won't make the iPad functional as a marine nav device. It has been stated a couple times in this thread, but let me emphasize: to use the iPad as a nav device, it needs to have the GPS chip in it, which is part of a cellular capable iPad, but it does NOT have to be connected to the internet nor be using a cell signal.

To use the iPad to control a drone, cellular capable isn't necessary. I use my iPhone with the DJI Mavic Mini 1; while a bigger device can be used, a cell phone is what DJI suggests to fit with that particular controller. Here's a quote: "DJI ultimately has three different transmission systems they use across their drones: Lightbridge, OcuSync, and standard WiFi. OcuSync is newer than Lightbridge and is better, but not by much. ... WiFi is used in DJI's less expensive drones yet is still superior to the range of many drones on the market."
Brewkid

City/Region: Whidbey Is
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SCALLYWAG
Photos: Scallywag
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not an issue with a cheap Samsung Tab A (Android). Comes with a gps chip embedded and no service required. Download all your offline maps before you go and Navionics will outwork most of your 5 year old chartplotters on it!

I'm not an apple guy....

R/
John
Scallywag
Baxter

City/Region: Sheridan
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Baxter ll
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: I Pads Reply with quote

Would love to have a drone but have held off.

We have used our iPad cell capable to have GPS but not activated for many years as
out primary navigation. It has never failed us. The iPhones are connected to it so
they and be a tiny screen back up if needed. We have Raymaine 15 year old chart
plotter it is tired. Howeve, I have it on for the depth sounder. NO real time dept depth on the I
pad. So need something for depth.

Was using Garmin Blue Charts with Active Captain overlaid. Was great. Then
Active Captain sold and Garmin figured out iPads being used instead of buy their
chart plotters.

So our new softwear is Navtronics, a quality program.

NOAA since they don't have paper anymore should provide a quality program.
You can download charts but you have to have directory to figure which ones to
load. If someone has found a better way would like to hear it.

Well electronics keeps evolving and $$$$$ to keep up.

Baxter

B95054

City/Region: Maple Ridge
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesTXSD wrote:
B95054 wrote:

That works fine if you just want internet access on your non-cellular capable iPad. However, that still won't make the iPad functional as a marine nav device. It has been stated a couple times in this thread, but let me emphasize: to use the iPad as a nav device, it needs to have the GPS chip in it, which is part of a cellular capable iPad, but it does NOT have to be connected to the internet nor be using a cell signal.

To use the iPad to control a drone, cellular capable isn't necessary. I use my iPhone with the DJI Mavic Mini 1; while a bigger device can be used, a cell phone is what DJI suggests to fit with that particular controller. Here's a quote: "DJI ultimately has three different transmission systems they use across their drones: Lightbridge, OcuSync, and standard WiFi. OcuSync is newer than Lightbridge and is better, but not by much. ... WiFi is used in DJI's less expensive drones yet is still superior to the range of many drones on the market."

There are actually several apps that will accomplish this. Tbh I forget the name of the app I used to use but have a look at the gps2ip app. It does exactly the same thing I used to use. No need for the cellular for. . I have experienced it in the real world.
JamesTXSD

City/Region: from island boy to desert dweller
State or Province: AZ
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: "Wild Blue" (sold 9/14)
Photos: Wild Blue
PostPosted: Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

B95054 wrote:
JamesTXSD wrote:
B95054 wrote:

There are actually several apps that will accomplish this. Tbh I forget the name of the app I used to use but have a look at the gps2ip app. It does exactly the same thing I used to use. No need for the cellular for. . I have experienced it in the real world.

That app needs to get external GPS from somewhere. Yes, it will pull GPS data from your phone... so you get to use two devices to do what one will do if you have a cellular capable iPad. Take your iPad out on its own with that app (leave your phone home) and see if you get GPS navigation.

Not sure what happens with data usage (and cost) when using the iPhone as a hot spot away from cellular coverage? No issue for those of us who have unlimited data.

Also comes with this note: "This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life." Two devices to keep charged. Latency is milliseconds, so it shouldn't be an issue on a boat as long as both devices keep "talking" to each other.

I wasn't aware of that app. If that is your choice and it works for you, I have no issue. I prefer using each device with an internal GPS chip.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electronics All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: