The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Electric Trailer Winch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Electric Trailer Winch Reply with quote

I am thinking about adding an electric winch to my trailer to make self launching and retrieving easier. Any suggestions? Swee' Pea is a 22' Cruiser with a solo Honda 90.

Would appreciate any input.

John
Swee' Pea
Alyssa Jean

City/Region: Guemes Is.(Anacortes)
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: Alyssa Jean
Photos: Anna Leigh and Alyssa Jean
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat on Daydream (25) has one and loves it. He should chime in hereabout it soon.

Alyssa Jean 16 Angler
Anna Leigh 22 Cruiser Sold 2005
Anna Leigh 25 Cruiser Sold 2014

K7KJR C-Brats #51
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John-

I'm not sure how much easier an electric winch would make launching, other than using the electric motor let the line out compared to taking off the ratchet in a manual one, but the electric retrieval would be nice, particularly when the crank up distance is longer or steep. As we get older, the appeal of such convenience devices becomes greater.

You could also use the electric control unit to allow yourself to move about more easily to check on and assist with centering the boat, etc., and the electric winch will allow the Admiral or anyone else less inclined to rely of muscle power to winch you aboard, such as when you have to power on to the trailer when there's no dock (float) next to the ramp, and someone else can attach the winch line.

One drawback of the electric installation has traditionally been that you have to tap into the tow vehicle's 12 v supply (hot wire) somewhere with a pretty heavy gague wire for the amperage required, but today's vehicles with factory tow packages already have a hot wire in their harness for such use.

I've almost bought an electric winch several times, but decided that the amount of winching involved on my CD-22 with a roller trailer and two speed manual winch is so easy to do by hand that the little gain in convenience wasn't worth the trouble to install and maintain it.

If you have a bunk trailer, as an alternative, you might think about adding one of those slick anti-friction compounds to the bunk carpets, or even the plastic slider strips that do the same thing. Be cautioned, however, that some folks find those to be so lacking in friction that keeping the boat centered on the trailer during the tow can become a problem.

If you do install one, you'll need to cover it when stored outdoodrs to keep the water out of the sensitive parts, of course. Be sure to also retain your chain and latch set up to back up the winch in case it slips, fails, or inadvertently lets line out becuse of some electical problem.

You may have to modify the trailer's winch post somewhat to accept the electric winch, but that shouldn't be hard. If you need help, a trailer dealer / shop can usually do it quite easily.

There are even some electric winches available today with wireless remote controls, but on a boat the size of any of the C-Dorys, this feature shouldn't be necessary. (Except for the Cats, at least until someone builds a proper trailer for them.)

My guess is that an electric winch with a 1500-2000 lb pulling capacity should do the trick nicely.

Good luch whatever you decide!

Joe.

Sea Wolf, C-Brat #31
Lake Shasta, California

"Most of my money I spent on boats and women. The rest I squandered'. " -Annonymous
Bess-C

City/Region: Anacortes
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Bess-C
Photos: Bess-C
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added one to our trailer. We have a 25 and sometimes in less than perfect conditions it can be very helpful. If you have enough water and a float next to the ramp it's not necessary. However at some of the more primitive ramps with a side wind it can be a harrowing experience getting the boat on the trailer.

We have a Powerwinch brand. I don't remember the model, but don't short yourself on the amount of power that you will need to do the job. The electric winch is a stress reliever when you're traveling and don't know what you'll find when launching. If you have enough power you know that you can get the boat on the trailer regardless of conditions.
Lyle

17 Center Console C-Dory 10/16
Da Nag

City/Region: Port Angeles
C-Dory Year: 1995
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruise Ship
Vessel Name: Wilbur
Photos: Da Boats
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally...I think it's complete overkill for a 22. Me thinks a simpler and cheaper alternative is a good two-speed winch.

I've got this Fulton 3700# capacity unit. In low gear, you could crank the Queen Mary up dry bunks with your pinky. Left-handed. On a steep ramp.

No electrics to worry about, no maintenance hassles, more reliable, less concern of theft...

rogerbum

City/Region: Kenmore
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Meant to be
Photos: SeaDNA
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one on our trailer for a 22 and frankly I wish I had a manual crank. I don't recall the brand we have but there is a clutch that is less than 100 reliable. I have a hard time disengaging it by hand and find it necessary to put a pipe wrench on it some times to loosen it up. When it's tight, it doesn't hold as reliably as a manual winch would. Add to that the fact that the connectors for the cabling are fragile, way expensive (like $25) and not too reliable either, and the old manual "crank-her-up-ers" look pretty good. IMHO, take Da Nag's advice and save your money for something else.
Pat Anderson

City/Region: Birch Bay, WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Daydream
Photos: Daydream and Crabby Lou
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never felt the need for a winch with the CD22, but it is a lifesaver on the CD25. We have a Powerwinch RC23, and even routine retrievals are SO much easier with this puppy. For reasons I don't understand, the radio remote control works only sporadically, but there is a button on the winch itself, and the RC feature is not really necessary - it would be nice if it worked though.

DAYDREAM - CD25 Cruiser
CRABBY LOU - CD16 Angler (sold 2020)
Pat & Patty Anderson, C-Brat #62!
http://daydreamsloop.blogspot.com

Swee Pea

City/Region: Bath
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2004
Vessel Name: Swee Pea
Photos: Swee Pea
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you all for your input. I think I will keep what I have for the time being.

John
Swee' Pea
Sea Wolf

City/Region: Redding
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1987
Vessel Name: Sea Wolf
Photos: Sea Wolf
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a passing thought as a reminder:

Sometimes the load on a cable or strap can be quite heavy because of the ramp conditions, and the load on the cable or strap quite high, in the thousands of pounds. It's only smart to check the cable for wear, especially broken strands at the swedging collars next to the hook every time you use the winch.

When you've got a case of the big load on, stand to the side of the line between the winch and the cable as much as possible, as a broken cable could be quite dangerous on the rebound. I've never seen one break, but would prefer to see it stay that way. I don't really know if the plastic strap is more or less dangerous, perhaps someone else can clue us in here.

For the above reason, when I replaced my winch strap, I upgraded the cable size about two notches.

This is only common sense stuff, but might serve to alert someone new to the hazards involved. I've thought of using a face shield and gloves for the winching in operation, but never seem to get around to putting the face shield in the tow vehicle.

Joe.
gljjr

City/Region: Fall City
C-Dory Year: 1982
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Migratory Dory
Photos: gljjr
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to Joe's great post about stepping to the side to avoid the cable if it snaps. Another good thing to do is to put a coat on the cable in the middle of the span to help control the cable if it snaps.

As a tow operator we did the coat trick as a normal safety precaution every time we winched someone out of a ditch. I've actually seen a cable break and go right through the sheet metal on the back of the tow truck's cab! Shocked

Cutty Sark

City/Region: Kenmore, Sammamish Slough
C-Dory Year: 1989
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: TBD
Photos: Cutty Sark
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a brand new power winch on my old arima, and I tend to agree with Roger, more pain than it was worth. I also had it lock up a few times. Which made it difficult to launch, and personally I am much happier with a manual. But it was nice when it worked properly with no problems. I never tied it into my tow vehicle, I just kept a spare battery in the back of my Yukon, and opened the back door to hook it up when winching. I do like the idea of the two speed manual winch though. I like the k.i.s.s. priciple on this one.

Sark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Trailers and Towing All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: