View previous topic :: View next topic  
tparrent

City/Region: Apex
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2017
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Tomfoolery
Photos: tparrent (TBD)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:22 pm    Post subject: A rare day aboard the TomCat Reply with quote

After 40 days and 40 nights of cold rain, North Carolina finally had a warm sunny day so I skipped out on work and headed to the coast for a little Tomfoolery.

Due to a work conference call that ran longer than expected, I never actually got the boat out of the slip (rather disappointing given the four hour round trip to get there) but I was able to do some scheduled AND unscheduled maintenance.

First up was installing my new swim ladder. I had ordered this RecPro ladder https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JBGUKOK/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 because it appeared to have the same bracket as the one installed on the boat. The bracket was close but not identical so the ladder wobbled when I put it in the existing bracket. I know that many of you will suggest that I simply replace the existing bracket with the one that came with the RecPro since the bolt pattern matches. That's an excellent suggestion if I wanted 8 bolts, 2 brackets and a swim ladder on the bottom of the river - because that's exactly what would happen if I tried to do the installation.

What I would like to do is find a ladder matching the existing bracket but there are no identifying marks on the bracket so I'm at a loss as to what to look for.

Also, I was more than a wee bit surprised to learn that the ladder does not pivot down. You have to unpin it, lift it up, invert it and put it back in the bracket in order to use that. No big deal if you are standing on the boat. Very big deal if you fell off the boat while singlehanding and tried to get back on. It would be difficult at best.

Moving on to simpler issues, I did acquire a piling fender to prevent booboos on the stern caused by erratic docking. After struggling a bit with buckles that would not hold tight, I finally got it positioned just above the water. Imagine this Great Lakes sailor's surprise an hour later when it was submerged six inches. We outlawed tides in the Great Lakes eons ago. I don't know why the coast has not passed similar laws.

Following advice given here, the last time I was at the boat I lowered the engines because there was certainly a risk of freezing. Six weeks later, I raised them. Salad anyone?

I also followed the advice to turn off the refrigerator and leave it open so as to avoid draining the battery should the power go out. I must have missed a little inference in that suggestion because I was convinced the refrigerator ran on AC given that there is a dedicated circuit breaker helpfully labeled "Refrigerator". Of course, if it ran only on AC there would be no danger of running down the batteries. I did not connect these thoughts at the time of my well intentioned opening of the fridge and turning off of the circuit breaker. In effect, I did the exact opposite of what I should have done as the refrigerator then ran off battery power for six weeks with the door open. The freezer section was totally encased with ice that slowly dripped for six weeks through the open door. Live and learn, live AND learn.

Nonetheless, the day was sunny with a lovely breeze and I had a grand time sitting in the cockpit contemplating life's mysteries. Next time, I may actually leave the slip.

Pacificcoast101

City/Region: Torrance
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: No Pressure
Photos: No Pressure
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you're looking for is an Armstrong Swing Ladder.
https://www.armstrongnautical.com/armstrong-swing-ladder/

I had one of these for a few years. I eventually had a swing bracket welded that mounted the Armstrong ladder permanently.

Also, you need to turn the refrigerator off simply by turning the knob on the front.

Southern California Marine Life
https://www.flickr.com/photos/southern_california_marine_life/albums

My Photos
https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/?pseudoid=%7bAC42A235-FD0A-464A-B559-1CC5843C95FB%7d&name=Phil+Garner&st=11&mode=0&comp=1
tparrent

City/Region: Apex
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2017
Vessel Name: Tomfoolery
Photos: tparrent (TBD)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The swing ladder definitely looks like the right idea but the bracket is different than mine. If I have to replace the bracket, do the bolts go through the transom and have washers and nuts on the other side that can be easily accessed through the hatch on the transom?

I figured out how to turn off the refrigerator after 15 minutes of searching the boat for a DC circuit breaker.

It's truly hard to overestimate my level of mechanic incompetence.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

for std fridges that run on120v AC (when available) and then auto switch to 12v, you must find the 12v fuse on the 12 distribution panel that controls the fridge circuit.

It likely will not be labelled by the factory but there will less than 24 fuses to toy with. pull one at at time with the 120AC fridge power OFF until you find the 12v fuse for the fridge (likely a pink, 10A ATC fuse) that cuts off the power to the blue or other color LED light in the fridge.

pull it when off the boat to prevent the auto switchover 'feature' from draining your batteries to point where they can't run the bilge pumps.

Good luck, hope this helps!
John

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: