The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

2 Pole Bimini design

View previous topic :: View next topic  
curioustraveler

City/Region: Annapolis
State or Province: MD
Photos: Curioustraveler
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:07 pm    Post subject: 2 Pole Bimini design Reply with quote

We're having a bimini made for Curious Traveler in a few weeks. I'm requesting support poles so the frame stays upright and the bimini collapses onto the frame, instead of the one pole version where the frame folds back and lays down.

I just assumed I would have support poles extend to the back near the lazarettes and we would board between the pilothouse and the bimini frame. But new owner Keweenaw2018 just posted a pic of theirs with the whole thing tipped forward.

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?p=352759#352759

Has anyone else seen this set up? It may actually be easier to board this way. You have the whole back of the cockpit, including the lazarettes, to use for boarding. Can't quite figure out how theirs works though. Keweenaw2018, have any pics with the bimini up?
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since the step down from the gunnel onto the cockpit floor (or a 2 step ladder in some cases) is forward in the boat, and most of us unzip the forward panel to make it easier to board--I believe that having the fixed leg support aft makes sense. Some boats will have 2 fixed legs, so that a full panel can be opened, and the Bimini stays taught.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Bimini can swing forward against the cabin for travel, or rest on it's back pole above the stern for boating with the bimini in that position. Since on the 25, when on the trailer most board with a ladder at the stern, having the bimini stow forward for travel works quite well. When on the water, since most entry/exit is from the gunnel, then stowage to the rear is best. I think there are some photos in my C-Traveler album that might show it. Yep, here they are, check them out. P.s. On Midnight Flyer, my earlier 22, there might be some photos in that album of the bimini I had made for it. Again, for travel on the trailer, the bimini stored forward. Wasn't the most ideal for boarding as on the trailer we usually just climbed up on the fender and then over the gunnel. However, forward was still the best protection for the bimini in travel. Colby

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album3180&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Late note. Just found Midnight Flyer's bimini photos. None really show in the stowed position, but maybe worth looking at anyway:

http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2715&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bimini stores against the cabin when stowed. It actually is high enough to rest on the back part of the roof. It stays in this position when not in use when cruising or when trailering. My bimini uses the fore and aft straps when a single fixed point on each side for the frame. This allows the fore/aft angle of the bimini to be adjusted as conditions warrant. With the bimini up I find it easier to get into the cockpit (when boarding the boat) by coming in from the rear (over the splashwell). Depending on the dock height I might use the swim step or the gunwale by the lazerette hatches. My wife tends to board from the side and yes, having the bimini up can make access this way more difficult.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On our 22 we had the quick release bases on the top. Top normaly mounts about mid way between the cabin and the stern. front top zipped into the the top of the cabin. It zipped from either side. This allowed me to unzipp half on the side that was against the dock so I did not have to crawl in when entering the boat. just unzip step in like normal and rezip.

For storage I installed a second set of quick releases against the cabin, When fishing you just roll up the top with a bungee or a sleeve and move the ends to the other quick release bases next to the cab and tie it up with another bungee to the radar arch or the hand holds. Top is out of the way completely, you can still get in and out of the boat, clear deck to fish from.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: