View previous topic :: View next topic  
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:57 pm    Post subject: Broughton Archipelago Reply with quote

I just got my charts and guide books for a cruise into the Broughton Archipelago this June (hopefully). I have few questions that I would like to throw out to those that have been there.

We are looking for recommendations for a good boat launch and parking for our truck and trailer. If you have been here, what are your thoughts. The choices that I am looking at are Port McNeill, Telegraph Cove and Alder Bay RV Park and Marina. Telegraph cove would be the closest access point and thus preferred.

For those that have cruised in the Broughton Archipelago, any favourite spots, recommended must see areas. We will have our kayaks with us and we love to find a nice anchorage with lots of kayaking options, small islands and bays.

Fishing tips. I'm still at the stage of putting something shiny on the end of a string and hoping for the best. Anything tips that will help put dinner on the table would be appreciated so that the Bully (corned beef) can stay in the can would be appreciated.

Hazards or concerns. Anywhere you would stay away from.

Thank you in advance for your advice.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
journey on

City/Region: Valley Centre
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: journey on
Photos: Journey On
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a quote from our Broughton trip, regarding parking in McNeil Harbour:

"After a couple of hours we are again tied up in Port McNeill and meet our friends, Bob & Barbara Evans, who happen to be traveling around Vancouver Island in their motor home. The four of us went to lunch across the street and had a great time getting caught up. It was time to leave and Boris said he wanted to go and check on the truck and trailer. Bob, Barbara and I were standing outside the restaurant and Boris came steaming by to go to the Harbor Master’s office and said he could not find the truck or trailer. It didn’t quite calculate in my head what he had said. I said that I would go and check, thinking he must not have looked in the right place and Bob came with me. Bam – it finally registers – no truck or trailer. All of us are now in high gear, adrenalin freely flowing, trying to sort out what has happened. The Harbor Master makes a few phone calls and discovers it has been impounded by the local towing company. Boris talks with the tow truck driver and he informs Boris that he only takes cash. Needless to say, we are not happy campers, we paid $52.50 for a parking permit for a month to cover ourselves, put it on the dash of the truck and were told that was what we needed to do to keep everything safe and sound. Thank heavens Bob & Barbara were here because they drove us around to find the impound area and there it was behind a locked fence. The driver arrived a few minutes after us and I was grateful there was no mean junkyard dog roaming around the premises. The driver walked up, there weren’t too many pleasantries on our side, he unlocked the gate and we showed him the permit ticket laying on the dashboard of the truck. Bob said he wished he would have gotten a picture of the driver’s face at that moment. The driver didn’t say anything, he just walked over to the gate and opened them wide, half apologizing, said something like his boss must not have seen the ticket before he hauled it off. Boris didn’t say a word, we just left and there was no money exchanged. After we got back to Port McNeill marina the Harbor Master credited out credit card for the $52.50, the amount of the parking permit and apologized profusely. Boris and I went back to the boat for awhile to try and peel ourselves off the ceiling, letting the adrenaline level come down again."

If you got this far, IF you park in Pt. McNeill, be sure you use the commercial parking. Apparently the parking for the launch ramp is only for the locals.

And if you want to read about our adventures in the Broughtens they're here: Journey On in the Broughtens.

Boris
Standas

City/Region: Poulsbo
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2013
Vessel Name: C -Time
Photos: C -Time
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We stayed at Alder bay a couple of summers ago and can’t say enough good things about them. If you are leaving your truck I believe you would be parked right in front of where the managers live. Boat ramp was good enough that I launched with my truck camper on. Telegraph cove was nice to just a bigger operation. Have fun !
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Telegraph Cove on Vancouver Island was nice. I think it was $6/nite parking or $30/week. Plenty of parking, and very nice boat launch. Hose to wash boat and trailer down at the top of the launch. Lady Smith had free parking and an ok ramp, but Telegraph Cove is much closer to the Broughtons. I don't remember too much of the area from when I was there a few years ago. But I did stay at several of the Floating City marinas. Crabbing was decent near a lumberjack camp around the corner from the Cove. Colby
Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter, we have launched at Telegraph Cove and Alder Bay RV. The last time was 2006, so my recollection might be outdated, but I would not recommend Alder Bay. It had an exposed ramp, and the RV park would not allow you to leave the boat in the water overnight

Telegraph Cove had much nicer facilities and ramp. It’s also much more tourist oriented.

chipwagon

City/Region: Victoria
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Sam 'n Leo
Photos: Sam 'n Leo
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are 2 ramps in Telegraph Cove, I've used both for my 22' cruiser. The better one is the second one on the drive in. We spend a couple of weeks in TC every summer, staying in a cabin on the boardwalk. Love it there.
Marco Flamingo

City/Region: Seattle
C-Dory Year: 2004
C-Dory Model: 16 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Limpet
Photos: Limpet
PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2021 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Telegraph Cove, we stayed the night before and the night of our return at the condos right by the launch (same operation). Not cheap, but I got lots of bonus points after cruising in a CD 16 for a week. Plus I don't remember being charged for parking because we were guests. Also, laundry facilities.

Pictures in my photo album. http://www.c-brats.com/modules.php?set_albumName=album2528&op=modload&name=gallery&file=index&include=view_album.php
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the tips, links and photos. I think Telegraph Cove will be my launch destination. I looks like it will be a good launch site, close to where I am going and not to far of a crossing of Johnstone Strait to get into the islands.
Big dave

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Raven Dancer
Photos: Raven Dancer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best launching is at Port McNeill.
Call Steve Sandanco +1 (250) 230-3647 Hyde Creek boat yard. He will come launch your boat, he has a launch pass so you won’t need to pay for launching and haul out.
He will then take your vehicle & trailer to his house and boat yard for safe storage. Give him a call when your ready for hauling out and he will come and pick you up take you back to his yard and power wash your boat and trailer.
I have used him for 15 years and never had a problem.
Great anchorage is in the byrdwoods super kayaking, prawning, and fishing als crab.
You may want to consider going later in the summer, late July, August and early September are best. The area is a rain forest.
Hopefully Canadian borders will open.
I have boated and worked the Broughtons for 15 years, you will enjoy !
Dave
Raven Dancer.
Big dave

City/Region: Vancouver
C-Dory Year: 2006
Vessel Name: Raven Dancer
Photos: Raven Dancer
PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Best launching is at Port McNeill.
Call Steve Sandanco +1 (250) 230-3647 Hyde Creek boat yard. He will come launch your boat, he has a launch pass so you won’t need to pay for launching and haul out.
He will then take your vehicle & trailer to his house and boat yard for safe storage. Give him a call when your ready for hauling out and he will come and pick you up take you back to his yard and power wash your boat and trailer.
I have used him for 15 years and never had a problem.
Great anchorage is in the byrdwoods super kayaking, prawning, and fishing als crab.
You may want to consider going later in the summer, late July, August and early September are best. The area is a rain forest.
Hopefully Canadian borders will open.
I have boated and worked the Broughtons for 15 years, you will enjoy !
Dave
Raven Dancer.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: