The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

dielectric grease

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
C-Wolfe



Joined: 16 Sep 2020
Posts: 40
City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:39 am    Post subject: dielectric grease Reply with quote

Im about to replace my battery switches and realize there is a good amount of corrosion on most crimp connector, look like the wrong tool was use and damage the heat shrink tubing and allowed moisture to do its thing. So now I feel like I should replace all wire that are most expose to the elements, so basically everything from battery to main fuse box inside cabin. I really like the adhesive line heat shrink tubing, I have also used dielectric grease on several occasion but never together. Will it compromise the glue and negate its use or is it possible to use both? So what are you all thinking is the best approach for the longest lasting connection? Thanks for all input.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
tsturm



Joined: 01 Nov 2003
Posts: 1030
City/Region: Soldotna
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: JMR TOO
Photos: JMR-TOO
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: dielectric grease Reply with quote

C-Wolfe wrote:
Im about to replace my battery switches and realize there is a good amount of corrosion on most crimp connector, look like the wrong tool was use and damage the heat shrink tubing and allowed moisture to do its thing. So now I feel like I should replace all wire that are most expose to the elements, so basically everything from battery to main fuse box inside cabin. I really like the adhesive line heat shrink tubing, I have also used dielectric grease on several occasion but never together. Will it compromise the glue and negate its use or is it possible to use both? So what are you all thinking is the best approach for the longest lasting connection? Thanks for all input.


Crimp lug to wire, then shrink tube(with the glue lining) then dielectric grease the lug and stud. Thumbs Up
I coat the terminals at the Batt. with Corrosion X. I clean the terminals out of guilt every 2 yrs, never any green stuff Thumbs Up
There is a marine electrical store on the E. side of the new seward just N. of dimond (CRS wont allow me to recall the name) they have Marine wire & decent prices & every thing you will need.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
C-Wolfe



Joined: 16 Sep 2020
Posts: 40
City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: dielectric grease Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:
[quote=

Crimp lug to wire, then shrink tube(with the glue lining) then dielectric grease the lug and stud. Thumbs Up
I coat the terminals at the Batt. with Corrosion X. I clean the terminals out of guilt every 2 yrs, never any green stuff Thumbs Up
There is a marine electrical store on the E. side of the new seward just N. of dimond (CRS wont allow me to recall the name) they have Marine wire & decent prices & every thing you will need.


Thanks tsturm.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
localboy



Joined: 30 Sep 2006
Posts: 4446
City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are also sprays that do the same as the grease.

https://www.amazon.com/NOCO-A202S-Battery-Corrosion-Preventative/dp/B001DKRGLM/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=battery+terminal+spray&qid=1614012969&sr=8-2

_________________
"We can go over there...behind the 'little one'....."
Wife to her husband pointing @ us...from the bow of their 50-footer; Prideaux Haven 2013
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
C-Wolfe



Joined: 16 Sep 2020
Posts: 40
City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Wolfe
Photos: C-Wolfe
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: dielectric grease Reply with quote

tsturm wrote:
C-Wolfe wrote:
Im about to replace my battery switches and realize there is a good amount of corrosion on most crimp connector, look like the wrong tool was use and damage the heat shrink tubing and allowed moisture to do its thing. So now I feel like I should replace all wire that are most expose to the elements, so basically everything from battery to main fuse box inside cabin. I really like the adhesive line heat shrink tubing, I have also used dielectric grease on several occasion but never together. Will it compromise the glue and negate its use or is it possible to use both? So what are you all thinking is the best approach for the longest lasting connection? Thanks for all input.


Crimp lug to wire, then shrink tube(with the glue lining) then dielectric grease the lug and stud. Thumbs Up
I coat the terminals at the Batt. with Corrosion X. I clean the terminals out of guilt every 2 yrs, never any green stuff Thumbs Up
There is a marine electrical store on the E. side of the new seward just N. of dimond (CRS wont allow me to recall the name) they have Marine wire & decent prices & every thing you will need.


tsturm, I sent you a PM, let me know if you receive it, it look like it is stuck in my outbox and Iím not sure why.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
NORO LIM



Joined: 24 Apr 2008
Posts: 748
City/Region: Olympia
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: NORO LIM (sold 12/12/14)
Photos: NORO LIM
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: dielectric grease Reply with quote

[quote="C-Wolfe"][quote="tsturm"]
C-Wolfe wrote:
. . .I sent you a PM, let me know if you receive it, it look like it is stuck in my outbox and Iím not sure why.


That's just a feature of the PM system. Until the intended recipient actually clicks on the message, it will remain in your "outbox." Once the recipient looks at the message, it shows up in your "sentbox."

On the larger question, agree completely with tsturm. Just don't put the dielectric on the terminal before you make the connection. A dielectric between the points of contact will interfere with current. I don't know if the dielectric could possibly compromise the heat shrink adhesive. We must have some chemistry geeks around here to answer that.

_________________
Bill, Formerly on NORO LIM
2001 CD 16, 2001-2006
2006 CC 23, 2006-2014
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> Electrical and Wiring All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
     Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You cannot download files in this forum



Page generation time: 0.0508s (PHP: 78% - SQL: 22%) - SQL queries: 23 - GZIP disabled - Debug on