The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Choice Of Depth Sounder, And Location of Transducer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ggray

City/Region: SE Virginia
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Red Top
Photos: Red Top
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:05 pm    Post subject: Choice Of Depth Sounder, And Location of Transducer Reply with quote

We don't fish, so I removed the Lowrance HDS on the 22 Cruiser we bought last summer to make room for a small kicker.

I plan to mount a digital depth sounder, and it looks like the easiest to fit in the dash area are the HawkEye, which I have had experience with, and a Faria, of which I know nothing.

Are there any others I should consider? Opinions on the HawkEye or Faria? The Raymarine unit on our sailboat is larger that I had hoped to use.

The HawkEye we have on a small power boat works OK most of the time, and I think the times it doesn't are related to the transom mount of the transducer.

So the second question is whether anyone has installed a deck plate under the portapotty, removed the foam, and glued a transducer inside the hull there. (I "think" there is enough room.)

If so, how well does it work?
jkidd

City/Region: Northern, Utah
State or Province: UT
Vessel Name: Voyager
Photos: Voyager (JK)
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well the fish finder will tell you if you have a mud, sand or rock bottom for anchoring the sounder won’t. I would say under the captains seat or the sink where it’s more flat.

ssobol

City/Region: SW Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2008
Vessel Name: SoBELLE
Photos: SoBelle
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:21 am    Post subject: Re: Choice Of Depth Sounder, And Location of Transducer Reply with quote

ggray wrote:
... Are there any others I should consider? Opinions on the HawkEye or Faria? The Raymarine unit on our sailboat is larger that I had hoped to use.

The HawkEye we have on a small power boat works OK most of the time, and I think the times it doesn't are related to the transom mount of the transducer.

I had the Hawkeye on a RIB once. It worked fine. Because of the narrow transom and the motor, I got the suction cup mounting system for the transducer so I could verify the location would work ok before drilling holes. The suction cup mount actually worked pretty well. After using the depth finder a few times with the suction cup thing, I permanently mounted the transducer.

As far as I can tell the Faria depth sounder and the Hawkeye one are basically the same unit, just with different faceplates. There are other brands out there too, and they all look suspiciously alike IMO.

Humminbird also makes one that is pretty much the same.
garyf

City/Region: Lincoln
State or Province: CA
C-Dory Year: 1991
Vessel Name: C-Story
Photos: C-Story
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Previous owner (my dad) mounted a through-hull transducer at the floor of the helm (forward of the seat... where your feet go; kick space of whatever it's called). Seems to be a good place to me. He was having some sort of issue with the transducer itself and bought a new one with the intention to install but never installed it, and I'm going with updated electronics and a transom mounted transducer.

I don't claim to be an expert - but from what I've seen, centerline under the porta-potti would not be a particularly good location... most install location advice I've seen suggests an off center location.

Plus... isn't there a metal strip running down the centerline? Or does it not go back that far?

Just some random thoughts. I can take some pics of the old transducer install and post if that'd be helpful.

'08 Yamaha 90
KC3PO
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Choice Of Depth Sounder, And Location of Transducer Reply with quote

ssobol wrote:
[ There are other brands out there too, and they all look suspiciously alike IMO.

Faria did have a lot of problems with their depth gauges about 10 years ago. I inquired about other brands at my marina and the parts guy said they were all made by Faria. They replaced mine under warranty and the new one has worked fine since.

The transducer needs to be mounted in an area of clean water flow. If in floor must be far enough aft that when on plane it still has good water flow(even excessive bubbles will affect it). It will not shoot through air. For this reason I don't think under the porta potti in the cuddy would work good.

Regards,

Rob

ggray

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all!

Gary, I assume your transducer is inside the locker below your feet at the helm, right? I had understood that the hull bottom was cored from the main bulkhead in front of the helm back to the transom, and if this is the case, did he remove the core at that location? I'd appreciate a photo of the installation, if possible, at your convenience. This is not too far aft of the spot I had mentioned, but if I would need to remove core anyway, I could do it further aft as well.

I neglected to give another reason I wanted to install the transducer inside the hull. The boat at this point will be stored in the water, and I saw the barnacles that made a home on the Lowrance transducers.

Regardless, if there is not a good spot for the transducer inside, I'll have to deal with that.
garyf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ggray wrote:
Thanks all!

Gary, I assume your transducer is inside the locker below your feet at the helm, right? I had understood that the hull bottom was cored from the main bulkhead in front of the helm back to the transom, and if this is the case, did he remove the core at that location? I'd appreciate a photo of the installation, if possible, at your convenience. This is not too far aft of the spot I had mentioned, but if I would need to remove core anyway, I could do it further aft as well.

I neglected to give another reason I wanted to install the transducer inside the hull. The boat at this point will be stored in the water, and I saw the barnacles that made a home on the Lowrance transducers.

Regardless, if there is not a good spot for the transducer inside, I'll have to deal with that.

Yes, that is correct (location). And your comment here leads me to believe that we might be talking about different types of transducers - I wouldn't be surprised if I'm not using the right terminology or something. His transducer penetrates the hull and can be seen on the outside (there's also a fairing around it) so yes, core was removed and sealed. I'm aware that there's a different type of transducer that does not penetrate the hull, but it still able to listen through it. I would guess that core would have to be removed for that as well, but I don't have experience with those. I'll get you some pictures of the installation next time I'm out there - within a few days.
ggray

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I had jumped to the conclusion that the transducer was glued inside the hull, and I was interested how big a deal it was dealing with the core.

Since this is not the case, a picture won't help, but I appreciate your experience with the depth transducer mounted where it is.

You said your father had an issue with the transducer he had mounted. Do you know if that was a more recent problem, or one he had with the installation/location from inception? It could be that the transducer just sees too much disturbance that far forward.

Can anyone confirm whether there is a metal strip within the keel of the C Dories?

Thanks!
garyf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The metal strip I spoke of is on the outside, you should be able to see it. It helps protect against damage for people who want to beach their boat. My assumption is that it goes the length of the keel, but I haven't verified that - will take a look when I'm out there later today.

I'm not sure the exact details of the issues my dad had... but I don't think it was a location issue. He bought another transducer and fairing with the intent to replace the one that's there. I don't plan to replace it... I plan to use the transom mounted Garmin unit with all the new bells and whistles... but I will be checking to see if there's any possible compatibility with the old transducer and my Garmin unit just for kicks. I'm thinking it wouldn't hurt to keep it as a backup if there's any compatibility at all, even though I'm sure it wouldn't support the side-scan and all that stuff.
ggray

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

Duh on the metal strip, I should have figured you were describing a rub strip on the outside! I must confess that I haven't noticed one. Will look next time.
starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I have a few questions . What are you using for chart plotting? Does it not have a depth sounder built in or at least an option for that information on the screen? why would you want an extra gage?

As for the locations. I would not have the transducer , thru hull or not, forward of the fuel tanks. If the boat is on plane and air or even a mixture of air and water , is under the transducer, you will not get a good signal. The best location for a transducer is mounted to the transom or just inside the transom where it will always have water under it. Less holes and thur hulls the better. A transducer that is in the water , either thru the hull or mounted off the transom will have a better signal then a in hull unit that is shooting thru glass.

But a modern chart plotter with maps are fairly cheap and all include a depth finder. pretty easy choice.

starcrafttom

City/Region: marysville
C-Dory Year: 1984
C-Dory Model: 27 Cruiser
Vessel Name: to be decided later
Photos: Susan E
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for the corrosion and marine build up on the transducer. Just spray paint it with a anti-fouling paint. they make this just for transducers.
digger

City/Region: Spokane
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Angler
Vessel Name: C-Sik
Photos: Snoopy-C
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you see a properly trimmed-dory at running speed, of there is air beneath the captains feet area. You will get better results near the rear bulkhead or nearer the transom. I had an actual thru Hull on Snoopy-C under the sink area, and removed it and put a transom mounted transducer, with better results. Near the aft section of the boat will have the best water contact area and least disturbance, when running at cruising speed. At displacement speed, under the pilots feet would work (only at slower speeds).
hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That metal (I believe Brass) strip is only about 8 feet long and runs from just below the bow-tow hook loop down and back to about where the bottom flattens out from the side curves forward of the forward cabin bulkhead.

I never figured out what the real function was as it is too small to really help if you are beaching, so maybe only helpful when running up against a dock with the bow.

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

ggray

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK! Thanks for the good information.

I'll save myself some extra work likely resulting in less than acceptable results.

So I'll mount transducer on the transom and use some spray antifouling.

Yes, depth was indicated, but the chart plotter with this fish finder was not detailed at all, useful only in showing previous tracks. There may be cards available giving more detail, but the transducers are in the way of where I will likely mount the kicker. I suppose I could move them to underneath the swim platform....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: