The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Tomcat A/C

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rstinge1

City/Region: Wanchese
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Catfish
Photos: Catfish
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:34 pm    Post subject: Tomcat A/C Reply with quote

Was wondering if anyone could help me with portable A/C ideas on a Tomcat. To use in NE NC during the summer months. I carry a 2K Honda generator. Something portable in the front opening window seemed to make the most sense. Was looking for a shared picture, brand, BTU etc.
gulfcoast john

City/Region: PENSACOLA
State or Province: FL
C-Dory Year: 2010
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Cat O' Mine
Photos: CAT O' MINE
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We researched this after our 2009 rooftop Coleman 13k unit died and went to Coleman heaven prior to getting a Coleman 15K unit installed.

The largest BTU unit we could find that would fit in the front opening of our TC255 window was a 6000BTU LG LW6017R from Home Depot. Your local Kitty Hawk store has one for $242. It has a nice remote control. It’s quiet and works well. The surrounding ‘insulation’ is a weak point.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/LG-Electronics-6-000-BTU-115-Volt-Window-Air-Conditioner-with-Remote-in-White-LW6017R/306705136?NCNI-5

You will need to ‘’insulate’ around it with pool noodles etc, which also must be ‘stored’ when not in use.

The Honda 2000iu is a great PORTABLE generator, (we have two) but it is NOT designed or engineered to be safely used as a 120v power source for boats. Especially when it (with a floating ground) is plugged into your boats shorepower inlet (no floating ground).

Instead plug the window AC directly into the Honda to cool down the interior before going to bed. Then shut down the Honda before going to sleep, regardless of ‘exhaust direction’ wind etc.

We are NEVER comfortable with the idea of going to sleep with ANY internal combustion engine of any type running on our boat, even with multiple marine rated CO detectors. Try multiple ‘Fan tastic’ 12v RV fans to stay safely cool and safe til morning.

https://www.amazon.com/Fan-Tastic-Vent-01100WH-Endless-Breeze/dp/B0000AY2Z6/ref=asc_df_B0000AY2Z6/?tag=bingshoppinga-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=&hvpos=&hvnetw=o&hvrand=&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=&hvtargid=pla-4584001418798108&psc=1

Safely re-fueling the Honda on the boat is yet another danger.

There are 31 flavors to cruising, and your crew must decide what flavors are right for you and yours.

Any RV rooftop AC unit needs only a 14x14” hole in the roof and three AC wires to your AC panel to have easy, safe, instant, hassle-free air conditioning on shorepower at any marina you choose. No hassles storing a window AC and and a generator and a safe way to re-fuel the generator.

Hope this is helpful.

Choose your flavors and be Happy!

Safe travels!

John

thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have used window air conditioners on 4 of our C Dorys and no issues. They will not cool down to the degree that Johs walk in refrigeration unit will. The 9200 Polar Cub is what we used on our Tom Cat 255 as a roof air, and it will run on the Honda eU 2000 (the new Hondas are 2200 Watts, and have a fuel cut off, so you can run the fuel out of the carburetor.

I don't have the model number that we have on the current 25, but that window is the same size as the Tom Cat.

Auxiliary fuel for the Honda is not a problem. We have used both a 3 and 6 gallon outboard tanks. You can buy or make an adapter for the. fuel fill cap, so that the Honda fuel pump will pull a vacuum and fuel from the outboard tank.

We do have 3 CO detectors on the boat--at the level of the skippers head when at the helm. One by each of our heads in the bunk.

We don't run the Honda all night--and it depends on where we are, if we run it when we go to sleep. I get up every two hours (can set alarms, if you don't) to check the boat, anchor etc.

This photo can be confusing--because it shows a block and tackle we use to hoist the AC unit up (85 y.o. with back problems makes me a wimp.). You can see the skirt of quilted material which uses shock cored to hold it in place. I have split pool noodles for the outside which increases the insulation. We also have a piece of Reflectix which is the mylar reflective coated bubble wrap--that directs the which the AC unit tends to push the cold air up, and this deflects it more out into the cabin. We also have cutouts of the Reflectix (or similar) for the windows which help to keep the boat cooker inside. The 5000 BTU window AC will bring the temp down to about 20* below ambient. We also have a shade cover over the forward cabin and deck.

On the Tom Cat, we put the Honda generator on the swim step, and on top of a plastic milk crate. All strapped down with bungee cords.

Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
jennykatz

City/Region: naples
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Little Treasurer
Photos: Jennykatz
PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: AC Reply with quote

We put in a Coleman 9200 best investment I’ve done for the CC23 venture We. Used to do a window shaker for years 5000 BTU The Coleman does heat and cold air . I think we paid $650 or so plus buying wire to hook up the electrical So maybe $700 The hardest (scariest) part was cutting the 14by14 inch hole After that I was committed . Put the Coleman in and enjoy Jim
00 cd16 cruiser honda 40 sold 3/12
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: