The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Drippy Cave Syndrome
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomherrick

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I painted the interior with ceramic microspheres mixed into an oil-based enamel. It made a significant difference. When I touched the inside fiberglass wall my hand didn't feel a cold surface. I put on two coats and was impressed. I did the same to my wife's sailboat and that ended the drips.
localboy

City/Region: Lake Stevens via Honolulu
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: 'Au Kai (Ocean Traveler)
Photos: 'AU KAI
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.c-brats.com/viewtopic.php?t=1629&highlight=insulation+spray

Above is an old thread about a spray on or roll on insulation, much like Tom just mentioned. I have always intended on doing this, but it's such a big job that I haven't. I work...a lot.

We do find that having a solar exhaust fan installed in the ceiling of the head helps cut down on condensation and dries the wet head out after showering. I installed a Marinco day/night unit. Runs on solar during the day and charges the battery for night use. Finally replaced the original one last summer.

When we sleep we tie the door to the head open all night. Cracking the hatch above the berth allows fresh air in and the fan pulls cabin air out. So far it has worked pretty well. Is it perfect? No. Sometimes we still have moisture on the walls of the V berth etc, but we don't have dripping on our faces when we awaken.

I must say on a side note, the new model Marinco feels really cheap and flimsy compared to the older unit we had. But that model is NLA.

hardee

City/Region: Sequim
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sleepy-C
Photos: SleepyC
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy said:
Quote:
"No, but I do use a contractor grade dehumidifier on my boat. I only do it when the boat is on the trailer and under its roof. The point is that each time I do that I extract 3 to 5 gallons of water out of the boat (using a heater at the same time to keep boat interior 70-75°).... the boat still feels remarkably "dry" after a dehumidifier session....."

I'm curious, how long does it take to do a "session"? And after that session, and you keep running the dehumidifier, how much water do you get on the second session, or third?. I'm just wondering, how do you keep outside air from contributing to that "3-5 gallon" total? Considering the outside air humidity, how long would it take to get the same amount of condensate if you ran that dehumidifier outside, say on the back porch?

robhwa said:
Quote:
"Is anyone else using a dehumidifier while underway? Each person in the cabin is continually adding water through perspiration. Any cooking or boiling (I like coffee) also adds water."

At typical C-Dory Cabin temperatures, (say 75*F or less), the incipient moisture loss from humans is going to be much greater via respiration than perspiration, unless of course, there is considerable strenuous exercise going on. Typical water loss via respiration is about 1/2 liter in 12 hours, or a liter in 24 hours. 2 people on board over 24 hours is near a gallon. Keeping some ventilation going lets most of that out to equalize with the ambient humidity level. Closing everything up for the night and that half gallon has to go someplace, like walls and ceiling, vent covers and windows, I guess Shocked

Harvey
SleepyC Moon

robhwa

City/Region: Anderson Island
C-Dory Year: 2003
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Marcia C
Photos: Problemadela
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:

I'm curious, how long does it take to do a "session"? And after that session, and you keep running the dehumidifier, how much water do you get on the second session, or third?. I'm just wondering, how do you keep outside air from contributing to that "3-5 gallon" total? Considering the outside air humidity, how long would it take to get the same amount of condensate if you ran that dehumidifier outside, say on the back porch?

At typical C-Dory Cabin temperatures, (say 75*F or less), the incipient moisture loss from humans is going to be much greater via respiration than perspiration.

A comment on dehumidifiers in the C-Dory cabin. Here on rainy, misty, Anderson Island, dehumidifiers make life possible ; >) in the winter. I keep a large one in the greenhouse, one in the basement, one in the shop, one in the guest house, one in the C-Dory when on the trailer, and one to move around (camper or vehicles). They are all set to shut off at 50% RH. The 12 VDC mini ones don't have a humidity control and I only run them in the camper or boat when underway.

After a wet trip with the C-Dory, the first session might remove a half gallon to a gallon of water. The cabin interior is often dank and smelly at first. It dries quicky, then it really slows down, maybe a half cup a day, probably associated with "leakage" around the doors and windows. It remains at 50% RH inside, which is where I set it. I keep it under cover when on the trailer.

So, with doors and windows closed, the C-Dory seems to be fairly air-tight, but some water does come in. I can imagine it might be more if I didn't have it covered.

Also, yes, water you lose from breathing usually contributes most of your water loss as vapor, and most of your body cooling when not too active. Both breathing and perspiring put gaseous water into the air and raises RH, the source of dripping cave syndrome. BTW; your dog doesn't perspire much...it only has sweat glands on its feet pads. My wife once had our dog shaved so it could be cooler. Doesn't work, and the poor pup nearly died of embarrassment.
localboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I put the boat up for winter I put an oil heater inside the cabin with a plug in adapter that comes on @ 35F. I also put a Caframo Stor-Dry fan/heat unit on full time and stand up any cushions so they have air flow. I wash all the bedding and store them in "space bags" (vacuum bags). So far, so good. No mold or mildew.
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hardee wrote:
I'm curious, how long does it take to do a "session"? And after that session, and you keep running the dehumidifier, how much water do you get on the second session, or third?. I'm just wondering, how do you keep outside air from contributing to that "3-5 gallon" total?

Good questions! A session for me is typically one or two 24 hour days. It's easy to tell when the session is over because the amount of water you capture in the dehumidier's tank dramatically diminishes once the air reaches a very low relative humidity. Typically I get 2 gallons of water on the 1st day; then 1 or 2 more on a 2nd day; sometimes I have to go to a 3rd day. Eventually the water output slows to a 1/2 gallon/day. At that point I know the job is done. I then stop running the dehumidifier until the next session 4 or 6 weeks later (in the summer months I don't run it at all). Frankly, there is no use running back to back 2nd or 3rd sessions.....it's a matter of diminishing returns. Outside air ain't much of a problem. I close the boat up and heat it well above the outside air temperature. I'm sure some outside air is getting in via the cockpit bilge or elsewhere, but I just look for the sudden decrease in dehumidifier output to tell me when the session is over. (Note the dehumidifier circulates the air; it does not create a positive or negative pressure inside the boat.)

Note my process is very different than the one used by robhwa. He sets a relative humidity level (50%), I don't. I run the dehumidifier continuously until it no longer collects much water. I probably get down to 20% humidity -- altho it will rise again when the interior of the boat cools back down to the outside temps and residual water evaporates into the cabin. So he gets far less water out in a given period of time than I do since he stops at 50%....but he runs longer.

Clearly, localboy's process is different still. I used to do it localboy's way, but then since I had the big dehumidifier anyway, I switched. Just heating the inside of the boat helps a lot because that lowers the relative humidity (stopping condensation), but it does not appreciably remove the water from the boat (i.e., especially inside of cushions, inside boxes or containers, or in nooks and grannies). I get gallons of water and take it outside and pour it on the ground Wink .

Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sandy,
I've never used a dehumidifier, and not sure if I have ever even seen one. Would it be possible to rig one up in or over the sink and just let it drain to the outside?

localboy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[url]Limited-time deal: LONOVE Dehumidifiers for Home - 5000 Cubic Feet (450 Sq.ft) Upgraded with Drain Hose Dehumidifiers for Home Room Bathroom Bedroom Closet RV Basements, 1800ML (61 oz) Quiet Portable Small Dehumidifier https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08KT2VH22/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_dlT1_194MV7D5BA8T6XQRNM0APPP[/url][url][/url]

Steve here you go:
Knipet

City/Region: Orcas Island
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: Pan-A-C'ya
Photos: Pan-A-C'ya
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mark. So it looks very doable to just run the drain hose down the sink and not worry about it over filling. Now I just need one that is low wattage and runs on a simple solar system...
smckean (Tosca)

City/Region: Guemes Island (Anacortes)
Vessel Name: Tosca
Photos: Tosca
PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2021 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Knipet,

We're talking apples and oranges here. localboy's example, as well as those that some others are using, are small, low capacity, low power consumption units. I'm talking large, industrial grade, 120v high power, high capacity units. My solution is extremely effective and wrings out nearly every bit of water, but it can only be used when the boat is at home. You would not cruise with this dehumidifier.

My unit weighs over 40 pounds, stands 25" tall, uses 800 watts, and costs $350 (it's much like dealing with a Honda 2000i generator). Here is the unit I have (well, my exact model has been disconnected, but this is the replacement model):

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BZK14TT/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

But to answer your question directly.....yes, my unit could be placed on the counter and drained outside via the sink. The water collects in either the 2 gallon internal container, or leaves the unit via a hose that can be hooked up for a continuous downhill drain. However, I wouldn't bother to do that. It only runs for a couple of days and is easy to empty once a day (it also has an automatic cutoff if the bucket gets full). By not emptying it yourself daily, you would not get feel for how much water is being extracted each day.

P.S. A dehumidifier like this is basically an air conditioning unit with a compressor and a condenser, but it's configured to extract water not cool air.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> All C-Dorys, All The Time All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: