The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Tomcat 255 2010 or older

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Dory Boats Wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crtunez

City/Region: Miami
State or Province: FL
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:39 pm    Post subject: Tomcat 255 2010 or older Reply with quote

After much research, I've concluded that this is the only vessel that meets all my needs and is in my price range. Only trouble is I can't find any! I live in Miami, Florida but an willing to travel a considerable distance.
T.R. Bauer

City/Region: Wasilla
State or Province: AK
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Whisperer
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear you. Every time I find one I like, they sell.
thataway

City/Region: Pensacola
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: thataway
Photos: Thataway
PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks as if Three Rivers Marine Crystal River FL, has a new Tom Cat 255 for sale. There is a new one at Mt. Vernon Marine in WA, and a used one in Gig harbor WA.- Used ones don't come up all that often, but also tend to more a little more slowly.
Thisaway 2006 22' CDory November 2011 to May 2018
Caracal 18 140 Suzuki 2007 to present
Thataway TomCat 255 150 Suzukis June 2006 thru August 2011
C Pelican; 1992, 22 Cruiser, 2002 thru 2006
Frequent Sea; 2003 C D 25, 2007 thru 2009
KA6PKB
Home port: Pensacola FL
Crtunez

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob. WA is a bit far, but if I get desperate enough I might consider it Laughing I saw those new ones, but 75K is pretty much my max. How did you find those used listings?
Crtunez

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, is that you who has that 25 for sale? I was looking at a 26 venture sport originally, but it doesn't seem like my family of 6 would over-night well on it. Our oldest is 7 and our youngest is 2 months (she complicated some of our plans! Smile )
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

75k can buy a tomcat, but you better be ready.
Crtunez

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on what I saw, 75k seems to be the going rate for an older tomcat. Am I wrong?
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crtunez wrote:
Bob, is that you who has that 25 for sale? I was looking at a 26 venture sport originally, but it doesn't seem like my family of 6 would over-night well on it. Our oldest is 7 and our youngest is 2 months (she complicated some of our plans! Smile )

I don't have a 25, but sleeping 6 in a 25 might get pretty interesting. Although, since they are little people, it might be doable for a short time. A tomcat really won't be any better. If fact it might be worse, the dinette in the tomcat is not as large as the 25 in recent years.

For us, when there were too many folks for our CD 22, we often just set up camp on the beach. That's not always an option I know, but a lot of time it is. And small children really enjoy milling around on a large safe beach and tenting it. If we were stuck in an urban area, we just towed the CD 22 with the RV and camped where convenient and took day trips in the boat. It worked really well for us.

A C-Brat friend has a large family and started with a CD22 and they made it work for longer than they should have. They eventually bought a Hatteras 42 while the family was growing. They had a blast on that boat! I saw them last year or the year before on PWS and now that the family has mostly grown up and moved off to college, they have a tomcat. I'm not saying it would work for you, but you get a ton of boat in old trawler with ample room. And, they really are not that expensive, but they sure are not trailable. Good luck in your search Smile
thataway

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crtunez wrote:

We just have to see what the market for Tom Cat 255's are currently. It remains pretty much a seller's market in many boat types and size ranges. That probably will change at some point, maybe sooner than later? Some beat up Tom Cats have sold for less than 75K--but some have sold for more--being newer boats.

The only way I could see 6 on a Tom Cat might involve one sleeping for and aft, as we did having a cushion made for the foot well, and then 3 or 4 sleeping athwart's ship on the huge bunk forward. Then one on the dinette--perhaps two small people. Or several sleeping in the cockpit on air mattresses or pads.

The 25 "Cruise Ship" has a much larger dinette sleeping area, that plus the V bunk might be enough area for small kids, but as TR Bauer says, they grow up. We saw "Retriever", a 22, with 5 aboard, but there was a tent and sleeping in the cockpit involved.
Crtunez

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips guys. An enclosed Bimini with some air mattresses was definitely part of the long term plan. We are certainly not strangers to beach camping. Living in Miami, we really like the accessibility provided by an air conditioned pilothouse to summer camping. Do you think the A/C would cool the cockpit if it was enclosed?

So the 25 Cruiser has more sleeping space overall? How wide is the dinette bed? What does the Cat do with the extra width?

I might settle on an old trawler in the end. Only thing is that I also want a good vessel for dolphin fishing in the Gulf Stream and mangrove fishing in shallow waters. In other words, I want a boat that does everything short of transoceanic travel at a reasonable price Smile which is what lead me to the c-dory.
T.R. Bauer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2021 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do I think the AC would cool the cockpit? Nope. Here's why: The AC (which is about 15k BTU) in my 25 foot motorhome barely keeps it cool with real walls and actual insulation in the lower 48 when it gets Miami hot. Other's will have to verify, but I think most of the folks with roof mount AC are using the smaller and lighter 7.5K units (and even smaller) because of roof weight.
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
State or Province: BC
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 25 Cruiser table dinette only sleeps one adult. It would have to be thin kids to sleep two. You can put one snoring fishermen on the floor but I won’t do that again. Next time we’ll put him on the back with the canvas top up. We have the full canvas enclosure and plan to use it when the kids get older to sleep two out there. So long answer you can can sleep 6 but it would be very moist at least there in the pacific north west. 2 cuddy, 1 dinette, 1 floor, 2 cockpit if you have a full enclosure.

I would look for a 27-29 foot Tierra with outboards. If I had that many kids and still wanted to trailer.
thataway

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 25' Cruise Ship was only made in the 1995-96 era and there are only 6 of them. They have the larger dinette--at least 4 feet wide. This is not true of the majority of the 25's.

No an air conditioner in the cabin would not adequately cool the cockpit. I had a 15,000 BTU RV AC unit on top of a trawler's flying bridge (roof had 3" of foam insulation, and vinyl canvas all around. It would cool it some at night--during the day, it was the cold air blowing on you, which helped, but it didn't cool the entire area much.
Crtunez

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, you've given me a lot to think about. We're definitely not strangers to "making things work." But, as my wife very fairly pointed out, if we're spending this much money that we might not want to have to do that. Someone recommended the 2012 cutwater 26 to us. Seems to meet our needs better (bare minimum for fishing comfortably) but seems to run for a bit more money.
rstinge1

City/Region: Wanchese
State or Province: NC
C-Dory Year: 2008
C-Dory Model: 255 Tomcat
Vessel Name: Catfish
PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sir: I spent 5 years looking for a pre-owned Tomcat. I live in VA, but flew to NH and WA to look at 2 pre-owned boats ( both 2007s) over that time period. They were both project boats. I finally found one in AZ, a 2008, and purchased it sight unseen because of Covid last April. I did hire a guy from San Diego to drive up and do a survey. Money well spent, but she was in good condition and well cared for. But 12 years old. She had twin Honda BF 135s with 800 hours. And came with a trailer. I paid $80K. The going rate. And spent $5K for transport, $5K for a cradle from Float On, and another $5K for servicing the motors, etc. Basically to address the survey punch list. She is a gem. I put about 70 hours on the motors over the past 10 months. You will not find another boat in her diminutive size that offers more. Because she is a Cat. I have found her way more sea kindly, roomy and accommodative than the Grady White Sailfish that I owned some 10 years ago. But the pre-owned C Dory market is brutal. For a reason. They are great boats with passionate owners who never turn them over. Hope that perspective is helpful.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Dory Boats Wanted All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: