The C-Brats Forum Index
HomeForumsMy TopicsCalendarEvent SignupsMemberlistOur C-DorysThe Brat MapPhotos

Wanted to Buy - C-Dory 22' Cruiser in BC

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Dory Boats Wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
4Ben4

City/Region: DUNCAN
State or Province: BC
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 1:41 pm    Post subject: Wanted to Buy - C-Dory 22' Cruiser in BC Reply with quote

Hoping someone has a lead on this. thanks.
chipwagon

City/Region: Victoria
C-Dory Year: 2007
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Sam 'n Leo
Photos: Sam 'n Leo
PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck on your search. As someone who has tried, the 'wanted' ads typically don't strike gold but can't hurt to try. It is particularly tough right now with the closed border blocking the puget sound market for BC folks. Also a strong used boat market driven by people seeking outdoor recreation as a response to covid.

In BC the places I always scan
usedvictoria/usednanaimo/etc
craigslist
kijiji.ca
portboathouse.com - they turnover a lot of decent used boats & had a 22 c-dory up for a short while last year

There is also a C-dory dealer in Canada now, for first time in many years - northshoremarineltd.com though new boats are a whole different price bracket and have a wait time for orders.

I lucked into my 22 cruiser a few years ago on a craigslist ad, turned out to be blocks away from where I lived in Vancouver Island (but sorry I'm not selling!). Hope you find one.

4Ben4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I know it's a longshot, but I thought it was worth a try. I'll keep an eye on the Port Boathouse. I didn't realize it was a good resource.
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found mine at Port Boathouse in Alberni a few years ago...At the time they also had a new 23' with Yamaha twins. They were, I believe a C-Dory dealer in the past.

I didn't know there was a new C-Dory dealership in North Vancouver.... thanks for the link.

Chris

Bugzzy

City/Region: Seattle
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 2005
PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2005 22 foot cruiser with twin Honda 40hp outboards and a King trailer I'm thinking of selling. I just don't use it enough. I'm in Seattle though and I do not know what it takes these days to get something across the border.

Carl
Andesite

City/Region: Anchorage
State or Province: AK
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bugzzy wrote:
I have a 2005 22 foot cruiser with twin Honda 40hp outboards and a King trailer I'm thinking of selling. I just don't use it enough. I'm in Seattle though and I do not know what it takes these days to get something across the border.

Carl

Can you message me (or post) some more information about your 22? Iím potentially interested.

4Ben4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reaching out. I think with COVID, cross-border purchases are problematic. I'm not sure if we can even travel to the US right now.
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cross boarder purchases are easy. Sea trails not so much and close inspections as well. Just make sure the trailer stickers, tire and gvwr. Use u-ship to the boarder and towing company from Surrey to grab it for you to tow it across the line. Finding a great surveyor/good luck with that!
Peter & Judy

City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few years ago when I was looking for my C-Dory, I fully expected that I would have to purchase it in the PNW of the US. I was lucky to find one in Whitehorse, Yukon. The person I bought it from had brought it up from Washington. This was much simpler on my part to buy a boat in Canada, than in the US. When I first began to look at buying a C-Dory the US dollar exchange rate was favourable. Then it went the other way and I wondered if I could afford the boat if I bought it in from the US. The Canadian dollar is strong now, so it is a good time to buy a boat in the US. When my boat came up on C-Brats one Sunday morning in 2016 in Whitehorse, I looked at the specifications and the seller had a very good set of photos. I looked over the ad and picked up the phone and within two hours he had a deposit in his bank account. The boat had almost every feature that I had been looking for, it appeared to be very clean and well maintained. Also speaking with the owner, he was very open and honest about the boat. So I took the risk. Also it was priced in Canadian dollars. Since that time I have never seen another comparable C-Dory for sale in Canada.

Once you have found your boat, getting it into Canada is fairly easy from my understanding, fill out the paperwork, pay the fees or taxes and get your Canadian Registration. The trailer seems to be the hard part as it needs to be inspected and certified by Transport Canada before it can be imported. Apparently you will have to offload your boat before it can be inspected and certified. When I was looking at the idea of buying a boat in the US, I had considered offloading the boat in a US marina, taking the trailer across the border, having it inspected and certified and then going back for the boat.

One thing that I have learned is that C-Dory's sell very quickly, once you are ready to buy, have you cash on hand and be ready to pay for the boat as soon as you make a decision. It seems that good boats are often sold within three days of going on the market.

Good luck with your search and purchase, we need more C-Dory's in Canada.

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
4Ben4

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tips everyone. I'm sure something will come along.
kaelc

City/Region: Saanich
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Island Magic
Photos: Stil-Afloat
PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2021 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trailer inspection at the boarder is minimal, serial numbers to match the bill of sale and title. The inspection we had done at Canadian tire after importing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> C-Dory Boats Wanted All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: