City/Region: Olds
State or Province: AB
C-Dory Year: 2005
C-Dory Model: 22 Cruiser
Vessel Name: Mistaya
Photos: Mistaya
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 8:47 pm    Post subject: GROG Reply with quote

GROG

Although I am relatively new to boating, in a boat without paddles, I do like to partake in the traditions of the Navy. Being Canadian, that being the Royal Navy or the Royal Canadian Navy. While I don’t condone drinking while underway, a cold one after the anchor is well set is always a welcome end to a day on the water. Now in my experience boating in mostly northern waters, cold and wet is the norm. This was also the case for us in Lake Powell, a cold one is not always what we are looking for. So our beverage of choice is in the tradition of the Royal Navy is the daily rum ration. I have attached a link, which will explain this, better than I can.

My beginning with my rum ration tradition, began camping with my Dad in the Canadian Rockies. Being a good Boy Scout I learned to ‘Be Prepared' and my Dad being the Scout Master was always prepared with a mickey of rum. This would be mixed with a hot cup of tea once the Scouts were safely in bed. He would always be generous and share with others and being German he did not have the hang up of other North Americans and shared with his son before he reached the legal drinking age in Canada of 18. So I developed a taste for this beverage and it certainly helps to keep you warm before bedtime. When I was to turn 18, I went on a ski mountaineering trip up the Columbia Icefields in Jasper National Park. Our objective was the highest summit in Alberta, that being Mt. Columbia (3,747m, 12,293 ft). The ascent takes three days as you have to ski up the Athabaska Glacier, across the Columbia Icefield, camp at over 10,000 ft on the glacier and then ascend the peak, return to camp and then ski out. I chose to do this trip, with the Alpine Club of Canada, with the summit day being my 18th birthday. When packing to leave, my Dad gave me a mickey of Bicardi Rum and my Mother gave me one here dark “Newfoundland’ fruit cakes, that must have weighed 3 lbs. The first day, we ascended the Athabaska glacier roped together to keep us safe in case one of us fell into a crevasse. We climbed on skis with climbing skins over the shoulder of Snow Dome. Snow Dome is one of the two the hydrological apexes of North America. Snow falling on its summit flows into the three oceans. The Pacific via the Columbia River, the Arctic via the Athabaska River and to the Atlantic via Hudson’s Bay and the North Saskatchewan River. Out campsite for the night was to be at a feature known as the trench and we set up out tent protected by snow walls that we built. Early the next morning the sky was beginning to haze over and the Columbia Icefields are well know for producing their own weather that is often bad. We skied to over 11,000 feet on the mountain and took of our skis to kick steps up to the summit. The wind was increasing and spin drift snow was limiting visibility. Perhaps, a 1,000 feet below the summit, we were in a white out and I decided it was time to turn around. Several of my companion decided to carry on. I got back down to my skis, and in a whiteout managed to find my way back to the tent. Here I waited for several hours alone. The rest of our party had turned around 10 or 15 minutes after me and in that time the storm had gotten so bad they were hopelessly lost in the blizzard. This was well before GPS units were in use. That evening we celebrated with Grog, and fruit cake. I did return a few years later and reached the summit of Mt. Columbia and on other trips I have climbed most of the summits on the icefields.

For years my standard rum ration or Grog consisted of a shot of Bicardi or Appleton amber rum in cup of hot tea with sugar. While travelling in Newfoundland, this became “Newfoundland Screech”. A few years ago, I discovered “Kraken Dark Spiced Rum” which now has become our standard ration. I drink this now with a measure of rum and about four parts boiling water, instead of tea, and sugar to taste. It was the Royal Navy Tradition to issue the first rum ration at 11 AM, but as I said before, I don’t touch alcohol and then only in moderation until the anchor is firmly set and tested. I hope you enjoyed this story and maybe someday we can have a Grog together.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grog

HMCB Mistaya
"Mistaya" (Grizzly Bear in Cree)
HMCB (Her Majesties Cute Boat)
Robert H. Wilkinson

City/Region: Port Ryerse
State or Province: ON
Vessel Name: Romakeme IV
Photos: Romakeme IV
PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2021 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing the story. I concur re. not drinking until tied up at the dock. My drink of choice aboard is Coronita's - the 200ml mini Corona. Don't enjoy getting drunk or having to run to the washroom while aboard. One is enough for me to enjoy with dinner but it does get some chuckles from the guys at work.

Regards,

Rob

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really enjoyed your mountain adventure sharing, as I also went from mountain adventuring to boating rather late in life. We have spent the night several times coming or going to Alaska at the Columbia Glacier information center parking lot off the Ice field Parkway. Quite a view from there to where you were heading to climb Mt Columbia. Rum is also my favorite evening drink when on the boat. It’s usually Captain Morgan spiced & I have tried the British Navy Pusser’s rum, but didn’t really care for it. I will have to try your present choice of “Kraken Dark Spiced Rum”. Normally, I prefer a couple shots worth of the Captain Morgans sipped straight & neither hot or on ice, though I have tried it both ways.

Maybe we can share past tales in the mountains & Grog some future day.

Jay

Wandering Sagebrush

City/Region: Northeast Oregon
State or Province: OR
Vessel Name: Constant Craving
Photos: Constant Craving
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: GROG Reply with quote

Peter & Judy wrote:
GROG

<snip>
While travelling in Newfoundland, this became “Newfoundland Screech”.
<snip>

Peter, what a great post! I do however have to question your judgement. After reading Farley Mowat’s masterpiece, “The Boat That Wouldn’t Float” and learning about Screech and all of its traditions, I decided I had to partake of Screech. So... Diana and I, on our honeymoon in BC hit a good number of the package stores in the Province while looking for the fabled elixir.

When we finally found it, in a 40 ounce bottle, we drug it to the wicket to purchase our prize, and as I proudly placed it on the counter, the clerk looked me in the eye, and said “Tell me, son. What are you going to do with this? You going to drink it, or wash your feet in it?”. It was at that point I knew the legend was true. If you open it, drink it all, because it goes bad.

It took about 5 years for our canoe crowd to finish that bottle, as it truly got worse with each of our waterborne “Screech Outs”. The last drops were consumed in Canada in order to return the bottle to from whence it came.

Thanks for journey back down memory lane!

Peter & Judy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Jay,

I would enjoy sharing a Grog with you someday, preferably on the water. But, when the Canadian border opens and you are on your way to Alaska, you are welcome to stay on our ranch. We are only 20 minutes off the Queen Elizabeth II highway between Calgary and Edmonton and on a shortcut to the Columbia Icefields via the Cowboy Trail. It would be nice to see the border open this spring as that would signal that we have this pandemic under control, but I don't see that happening that soon, so maybe by fall. Until then stay safe.
Peter & Judy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I decided I had to partake of Screech.

My opinion of Screech. Bin there, done that. Thankfully I only bought a mickey and I still have the empty bottle.
dotnmarty

City/Region: Sammamish
State or Province: WA
C-Dory Year: 1993
C-Dory Model: 16 Angler
Vessel Name: LIZZIE II
Photos: Lizzie
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: GROG Reply with quote

Peter & Judy wrote:
GROG
A few years ago, I discovered “Kraken Dark Spiced Rum” which now has become our standard ration.

As a Canadian you may wish to reconsider your standard ration of choice
https://www.nhl.com/kraken

"...we're all in the same boat..."
Peter & Judy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As a Canadian you may wish to reconsider your standard ration of choice

Ha, Ha. I do tend to equalize this because I usually have a bottle of Crown Royal or Canadian Club Rye Whisky on board as well.
CC Rider

City/Region: Tsawwassen
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2006
C-Dory Model: 23 Venture
Vessel Name: CC Rider
Photos: CC Rider
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My father was in the Royal Navy and I remember him being rather "put out" when they abolished the "tot".
https://www.commsmuseum.co.uk/rum.htm

One of my favorite drinks is a hot buttered rum. On a cold night (or day), it's excellent! I have tried to order this drink in a restaurant or bar, only to find myself looking at a blank stare from the server. I usually need to tell them the ingredients in order to get one..... apparently they don't get many requests for it...

Cheers and "bottoms up"
Chris

Foggy

City/Region: Traverse City; Northern Lake Michigan
State or Province: MI
C-Dory Year: 2014
C-Dory Model: 26 Venture
Vessel Name: Boatless in Boating Paradise
Photos: W B Nod
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Drinking" and being responsible do not coexist.
Anything that numbs the mind removes reality somewhat.

Aye.

Hunkydory

City/Region: Cokeville, Wyoming
State or Province: WY
C-Dory Year: 2000
Vessel Name: Hunkydory
Photos: Hunkydory-Jay-and-Jolee
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter & Judy wrote:
Quote:

Jay,

I would enjoy sharing a Grog with you someday, preferably on the water. But, when the Canadian border opens and you are on your way to Alaska, you are welcome to stay on our ranch. We are only 20 minutes off the Queen Elizabeth II highway between Calgary and Edmonton and on a shortcut to the Columbia Icefields via the Cowboy Trail. It would be nice to see the border open this spring as that would signal that we have this pandemic under control, but I don't see that happening that soon, so maybe by fall. Until then stay safe.

We appreciate the welcome & will give advance notice if that should work out. I too doubt the border will open this year in time, but still hoping it will
colbysmith

City/Region: Madison
State or Province: WI
C-Dory Year: 2009
C-Dory Model: 25 Cruiser
Vessel Name: C-Traveler
Photos: C-Traveler and Midnight-Flyer
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
But, when the Canadian border opens and you are on your way to Alaska, you are welcome to stay on our ranch

Jay, it's worth the stop, not only to meet Peter and Judy, but getting a tour of a Bison ranch! Bill & Becky and I spent a day there, and so glad we did! Quite interesting! (Thanks again Peter. Still the best stop before we got on the water!) Colby
bridma

City/Region: Comox
State or Province: BC
C-Dory Year: 2009
Vessel Name: Nomad
Photos: Nomad
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For all you 'Navy Types', no not Uckers! I was Royal Navy (Senior Service). 31st August 1970, one of the darkest days in RN history. It was the very last day of the daily rum (grog) ration. We all wore a black armband below decks.

That's my grog story, albeit a sad one. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Martin.
ggray

City/Region: SE Virginia
State or Province: VA
C-Dory Year: 2007
Vessel Name: Red Top
Photos: Red Top
PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2021 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the story!

WRT hot buttered rum, I still savor the first one I had, after a cold, wet race.

None that I've had since has compared.

Any other favorite recipe?
Peter & Judy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is an interesting video that tells more about the story of GROG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB7pk7AfV2E
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The C-Brats Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: